Who has contributed the most to JKD?

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Taken what Bruce Lee made, it seems JKD has gotten more complexed, then what it was back in the late 60's early 70's. Which martial artist do you think has help push or expand JKD to 2003?
Bob:asian:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad
Nice reply for an honest question.
I miss read the question and gave the answer based on TKD. Once I reread the question, I edited the answer. So sue me!

R

Rob_Broad

Originally posted by Touch'O'Death
I miss read the question and gave the answer based on TKD. Once I reread the question, I edited the answer. So sue me!

Someone seems touchy. The only reply I saw your signature line and nothing else. So I must have seen it after you editied it.

W

Withered Soul

Bruce Lee?;)
Hmm. I'd say Rick Young and John Little (the guy who edited Bruce's books).

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Withered Soul
Bruce Lee?;)
Hmm. I'd say Rick Young and John Little (the guy who edited Bruce's books).

I would think its a no brainer with the answer being Dan Inosanto who physically and philisophically has done more than any other individual JKD'er.

John Little is just an writer/editer. Who is Ric Young? Is he downline from Dan?

:asian:

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kempojujutsu
IMO I would have to say Dan I. Would you consider Larry Hartsell, a major contributor to JKD?
Bob :asian:

Yes I would consider Larry Hartsell a major contributor and a man of his word. Being one of Bruces "original" students, he humbly achknowledges Dan Inosanto as his instructor.

I

IMAA

None other than Sifu Dan Inosanto. Since Sigung Lee's death Dan has made it his life long passion to pass on Bruce's teachings and philosophies. Most of those out there that are JKD'ers today have only came to light thru Dan Inosanto. Yes in the last 25yrs new names, old names, same names have come alight and praised JKD as the only true system. We have alot of people that have helped contribute to JKD.
Larry Hartsell, Steve Golden, Pat Strong, Tim Tackett, Taky Kimura and his son Andy, Jerry Poteet, these to name a few. A couple off the top of my head of the JKDC group im sure Vunak, Burton Richardson, and some others. Then you have the groups like the Progressive fighting Systems people, the Combative Solutions groups, Straight Blast Gym and their gorillas. and the small timers w/ no names like most of us on here. And of course you can't forget those that have squashed the name of JKD like those of Gary Dill, Lamar Davis, Ron Prather. JKD has all grown but thru only one Man and that has to go back to Guro/Sifu Dan Inosanto. Its up to us as to keep it strong and proper. If it is going to stay running for another 30yrs.

JUST my opinion.
thanks

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by IMAA

And of course you can't forget those that have squashed the name of JKD like those of Gary Dill, Lamar Davis, Ron Prather. JKD has all grown but thru only one Man and that has to go back to Guro/Sifu Dan Inosanto. Its up to us as to keep it strong and proper. If it is going to stay running for another 30yrs.

JUST my opinion.
thanks

Can you elaborate?

I

IMAA

No Im sorry, I probably said too much already. Im not going to take that any farther than what I already have. It's not hard to do any amount of research on the web with these guys and get the truth. In fact I dont like to be the leader of "bad" gossip so I wont, however I can lead you into the direction or source of where It's all at.....online.....
http://www.forumco.com/pauljbax/FORUM.asp?FORUM_ID=30&CAT_ID=7&Forum_Title=1-Jeet+Kune+Do

http://www.forumco.com/bigjkd/forum...D=1&Forum_Title=1+-+Combative+Solutions+Forum

Search these sources thoroughly and ask your questions concerning these gentlemen and Im sure someone will be more than happy to give you any information on these guys you wish to know. As for me I know one of those guys personally and have seen him in action. And I wont comment on anything because Im just not the gossiper. ENOUGH SAID......again too much info already......thanks

Cory

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
No Im sorry, I probably said too much already. Im not going to take that any farther than what I already have. It's not hard to do any amount of research on the web with these guys and get the truth. In fact I dont like to be the leader of "bad" gossip so I wont, however I can lead you into the direction or source of where It's all at.....online.....
http://www.forumco.com/pauljbax/FORUM.asp?FORUM_ID=30&CAT_ID=7&Forum_Title=1-Jeet+Kune+Do

http://www.forumco.com/bigjkd/forum...D=1&Forum_Title=1+-+Combative+Solutions+Forum

Search these sources thoroughly and ask your questions concerning these gentlemen and Im sure someone will be more than happy to give you any information on these guys you wish to know. As for me I know one of those guys personally and have seen him in action. And I wont comment on anything because Im just not the gossiper. ENOUGH SAID......again too much info already......thanks

Cory

After I asked I did find something. But I was leaning towards Gary Dill. Dill was James student for about a year while my Sigung was James student for 10 years. He has said that Dill wasn't a bad guy. I was wondering if you were talking about marketing practices.

I don't blame you either for not wanting to "talk bad."!!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score

Cory

All that I found on Gary Dill was someone questioning a letter from James Lee to teach. The fact that it came 2 weeks before James death is nothing. Everyone knew James was sick, but nobody knew how bad. If Bruce would of known that he was "deathly" sick, he would of been by his side!

That letter was authenticated by Taky Kimura and Linda Lee publically. And of all people, Linda would know James writing and signature. She lived in James house during the Oakland years.:confused:

Can you send me a "more direct" link?

I

IMAA

Concerning Proff. Dill, I don't have anything against him either. He seems to have a great insight on what JKD is and is not. I can't comment on him as a Martial Artist at all... I have never seen him move or whatever. His marketing skills im sure are what others are concerned with from Prof. Dill also. I talked with Proff Dill on the phone about 2 yrs ago briefly, about his summer training camp and he sent me a bunch of info on him, and James Lee. I read over it and I honestly didnt see much wrong with anything he put in it...

Well take care

C. Ballinger

P

progressivetactics

I am a strong believer in Paul Vunak. I think that he really truly pushes JKD and all its positives (although he doesn't live all the positives). Of course, his knowledge/ability came through Guru Dan, so Mr. Inosanto of course gets top position, but Vunak really continues to push JKD, which is kind of what the post asked about.

Inosanto never claims JKD, although it is certainly his to claim, now.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by progressivetactics
I am a strong believer in Paul Vunak. I think that he really truly pushes JKD and all its positives (although he doesn't live all the positives). Of course, his knowledge/ability came through Guru Dan, so Mr. Inosanto of course gets top position, but Vunak really continues to push JKD, which is kind of what the post asked about.

Inosanto never claims JKD, although it is certainly his to claim, now.

Heres a couple of links for the Full Instructors under Dan Inosanto and Paul Vunak. Dans lists 284 Full Instructors and they are just the current members! Voo's is just a fraction of that, although in my opinion he is somewhere up at the top.

http://www.inosanto.com/cgi-bin/database/a76b-7626.cgi

http://www.fighting.net/instructors.php

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Reading his latest BS in some of the mags, Vunak is bizillion miles away from the core concepts of JKD. Whatever happened to being "direct, simple and economic of motion"? On his way to hoping on the BJJ bangwagon, Vunak has tossed the core JKD ideas out the window.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The truth be told, the people who understand more about JKD, are people who are not involved in teaching JKD. Lee's fellow WC students when he was under Yip Man, have great insight into what JKD really is. Hawkin Cheung and William Cheung, have written insightful articles detailing the essence of JKD, both strenght, weakness and its core essence.

Latest Discussions