Who are the up and coming Modern Arnis Players?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
WMAA said:
So why don't you try? The big problem with some one trying to grab the reins that has had no public visibility is that they haven't earned the communities respect.

:asian:

When have I ever given the impression that I was a ranked player, let alone an aspiring instructor?

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think that there are some incredible arnis players out there, thus the reason for the thread. This thread isn't about who will take the lead spot but to give credit to where credit is due.

Let's focus again to naming some of these individuals so that the MA community can learn about them.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
I think that there are some incredible arnis players out there, thus the reason for the thread. This thread isn't about who will take the lead spot but to give credit to where credit is due.

Let's focus again to naming some of these individuals so that the MA community can learn about them.

Very well put, Palusut. Leadership in the art is not limited to 1st or 2nd generation people, there could be
some 3rd generation people ready or approaching being ready to step up and out.

Then there is the matter of how large a field of influence one might wish to establish. I see leadership as
of function of activities and not a quanitative value of how amny people one has taught or how many
seminars one has led or how many schools are associated with a perticular person deemed to be a leader
by virtue of organizational title.

Leadership can be described in terms of instrumental, expressive and modular models. It can also be a
combination of any two or three of the above since everything can not be boiled down to an "either-or" situation.

Your question as first asked by TShadowchaser and re-affirmed by this thread which you started really does
require that people give us their best estimates/guesses as to who will be making positive contributions to
Modern Arnis in the near to mid-term future. The question really does seem to lend itself to being best answered
by instructors. I have put forward, Sifu Peter Vargas, Guro Oscar Lopez, Guro Dan Maize, Guro Richard Curren,
Guro Tim Kashino, Guro Paul Martin, and Guro Keith Roosa.

It would be exciting to see who else is thought of by their instructor(s) or other instructor level people, to be
named on this thread.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
WMAA said:
So why don't you try? The big problem with some one trying to grab the reins that has had no public visibility is that they haven't earned the communities respect.
:asian:

The question is best answered by instructors and not by someone
making a self-appointment statement. In short blowing one's own
horn is in extremely poor taste within the context of this thread.

Do you have the name(s) of someone whom you would like to put
forward? That would be both appropriate and appriciated since you
are the admin assistant of the WMAA President and your statement
could/would carry the weight of that leadership.

Even though Tgace is not pushing to be recognized as a future leader
of Modern Arnis, he is most certinly someone that I could accept if his
name were submitted by his instructor. He is a talented and skilled
martial artist.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
When have I ever given the impression that I was a ranked player, let alone an aspiring instructor?

In this case, modesty is a good thing!

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
WMAA said:
Mr. Barber-

I think that the above quote explains it all. It takes time and in 5 - 10 years we may start to see a few candidates. The 1st generation just took over and is in the process of working things out. 2nd generation students as aspiring as they may be still need time and experience. The next generation must be good martial artists as well as Leaders. It takes time for both.

I am very sorry, but I disagree with your contentions. Given the amount of time that your WMAA leader has been teaching Modern Arnis and his own statements about having promoted some 30+ people to the Lakan level in the IMAF under the late Professor, I have a great deal of diffculty believeing that he can not identify at least one person who would be a candidate for future leadership in the art.

I was always told by the late GM, plus Sifu Don Zanghi and a number of other martial arts instructors that you can tell a great deal about an instructor by the way his/her students show the art. When I do not see students from instructors at seminars, camps and other events where the instructor him/herself is appearing, I do admit to becoming somewhat suspect with regard to that person's teaching abilities. Thus far, this thread has raised more questions in my mind, particuarly when I read responses such as yours as quoted above.

This thread asks a very simple question, 'who are the students that you would name as up and coming leaders in the art?' Why would we have to wait 5 years to get some people so identified, if we have had on-going Modern Arnis instructional programs that preceeded the death of the system founder?

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This thread is mainly about Modern Arnis Players/Arnisadors.

Please let's continue that discussion.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:

In fairmess to "WMAA", I have to ask you the same question, Palusut. Why haven't you named some of those people?
After reading your post and the following statement:

"I think that there are some incredible arnis players out there, thus the reason for the thread. [Removed one sentence]
Let's focus again to naming some of these individuals so that the MA community can learn about them."

I have supplied some names and I could conclude from the lack of other names being submitted, that only PG Tom Bolden
and I are in the business of working to preserve the basics of the art, expand and innovate on the art, making it for
ourselves and preparing our students to follow suit. Please understand that I am not so vain as to believe that Bolden
and I are the only instructors capable of preparing future instructors. However and thus far the lack of names being
submitted does cause me some concerns about what the current instructors are doing as well as what interests they
are actually serving.

Palusut, you and TShadowchaser have asked a valid and inspired question. The short-coming and possible failure is being
found in the lack of affirmative responses from the forum instructors.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
This thread is mainly about Modern Arnis Players/Arnisadors.

Please let's continue that discussion.

All of the people whom I have named are Modern Arnis Instructors.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DrBarber said:
All of the people whom I have named are Modern Arnis Instructors.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.
The statement above was not directed at you, Jerome, but to clarify the purpose of the thread again. The comment also was not as a Mod but as the thread starter.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
The statement above was not directed at you, Jerome, but to clarify the purpose of the thread again. The comment also was not as a Mod but as the thread starter.

Thank you for the clarification, Harld. Since I am the only person to post the names of students who are up and coming Modern Arnis Instructors and Leaders, I just want to make it clear that I was only naming people who are in the Modern Arnis area of the arts.

Respectfully yours,

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is my list:

This list does not include any MoTTs, seniors from the PI, or heads of systems because they are already at that next level and are leaders already in their own right.

IMAF(s)
Guro David Ng
Guro Roland Rivera
Guro Lyndon Johnson

IMAF (Shirshir)/FCS (Tuhon Ray)
Guro Aldon Asher

FCS (Modern Arnis is a sub-system and base for FCS)
Guro Ray Cole
Guro Rico Cortes
Guro Carlos "Pipo" Cortes
Guro Marrese Crump

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Here is my list:

This list does not include any MoTTs, seniors from the PI, or heads of systems because they are already at that next level and are leaders already in their own right.

IMAF(s)
Guro David Ng
Guro Roland Rivera
Guro Lyndon Johnson

IMAF (Shirshir)/FCS (Tuhon Ray)
Guro Aldon Asher

FCS (Modern Arnis is a sub-system and base for FCS)
Guro Ray Cole
Guro Rico Cortes
Guro Carlos "Pipo" Cortes
Guro Marrese Crump

Nice listing, Harold. Are there any sources available where we can see some if not all of these people on video or video-clips? Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DrBarber said:
Nice listing, Harold. Are there any sources available where we can see some if not all of these people on video or video-clips? Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.
Good question for anyone in listed in this thread.

Unfortunately, I don't have any video at hand.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Good question for anyone in listed in this thread.

Unfortunately, I don't have any video at hand.

Hi Harold,

Having video at hand is not necessary and in most case unlikely. If there is a site that has a video-clip or two or if there is a known video that any of the people named are on as participants, not necessarily the primary presenter is enough.

Having an opportunity to see these folks in action is the purpose of posting video information. Example: I can refer people to the video clips on the "aspoonful.com" site and they will see Sifu Vargas, Guro Lopez and Guro Maize. Guro Martin and Guro Kashino are on the Symposium DVD set.

Seeing people in action moving and doing their versions of the art is usually very helpful and in some cases quite insightful.

Thanks for your reply,

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DrBarber said:
Hi Harold,

Having video at hand is not necessary and in most case unlikely. If there is a site that has a video-clip or two or if there is a known video that any of the people named are on as participants, not necessarily the primary presenter is enough.

Having an opportunity to see these folks in action is the purpose of posting video information. Example: I can refer people to the video clips on the "aspoonful.com" site and they will see Sifu Vargas, Guro Lopez and Guro Maize. Guro Martin and Guro Kashino are on the Symposium DVD set.

Seeing people in action moving and doing their versions of the art is usually very helpful and in some cases quite insightful.

Thanks for your reply,

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Sorry, I don't have video clips off hand but some of the FCS members might be on video footage located in the video section of www.fcskali.com.

I was sharing based on personal observations only.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive got a clip of Paul doing an emptyhand form on my MSN page below. Hes critical of his performance in this example but he does it pretty smooth.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Ive got a clip of Paul doing an emptyhand form on my MSN page below. Hes critical of his performance in this example but he does it pretty smooth.

Hmmm... went there! Checked it out! The young man is being far too critical... he needs to lighten up because the only people
who can see the small flaws in his performance are PG Tom Bolden, Sifu Peter Vargas, you, myself and Paul. There are no obvious breaks in his movement, no stuttering in his footwork and the general roundness of his movements are indicative of a Chinese influenced internal martial art. A 9.9 performance. Gold medal. Works for me until I see someone do it better!

A very good indication of why I have listed Paul as a next generational leader, who happens to operating along side the first generation people. There's no need for him to stand behind anyone from the first generation! And just in case some poeple might be wondering, Paul Martin is one of my training partners! He does AMAA Sayaw Isa better than I do... I am a 9.0 at best!

BTW, we will teach Sayaw Isa and it's applications if people request it.

Thanks for putting that video clip up TG. It clearly shows one way in which the AMAA approach is different from Professor's.

Respectfully yours,

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

James Miller

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think one must define what one perceives as a leader. Yes a local instructor is a leader in their school, but if you’re talking about someone being a leader in the Modern Arnis community I feel that we must a higher standard. Maybe Jerome and Rick should define their perception of what an “Up and Coming Modern Arnis Player” is otherwise we are comparing apples to oranges.

Latest Discussions