Who are the up and coming Modern Arnis Players?

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
Who do you consider the up and coming Modern Arnis players?

Hi Palusut,

I've noticed that 38 people have viewed your question but they have not responded. Here is a refresher item for your consideration:

tshadowchaser wrote on 11-24-2005:
Re: "Modern Arnis: The Next Generation"

Who do the men mentioned above consider to be the students they now have that will impact the art the most

I responded on 11-28-2005:

Hey There, Shadowchaser,

Very nice idea and twist on the thread; the students of new generation that followed and trained with the late Professor. My choices would be:
Sifu Peter Vargas, Guro Oscar Lopez and Guro Dan Maize who learned under PG Tom Bolden and are currently members of the American Modern Arnis Associates. They all can be seen on the video clips from the AMAA site found on this forum under the video section.

From my own Independent Escrima-Kenpo Arnis Associates, I would refer people to Guro Richard Curren, Guro Tim Kashino, Guro Paul Martin and Guro Keith Roosa. Kashino and Martin can be found on the video series filmed at the Modern Arnis Symposium. I do not know of any video of Curren and Roosa at this time.
------------------------------

Sure does look like there aren't any takers in terms of responding to this question which has now been asked twice!!!!
icon10.gif

It would appear that only Tom Bolden and myself are interested in promoting the art beyond ourselves. We are actively preparing students
to follow us as we will eventually pass from the scene.
icon9.gif

Do you have any suggestions or other thought on your question?

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

OP
Guro Harold

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DrBarber said:
Hi Palusut,

I've noticed that 38 people have viewed your question but they have not responded. Here is a refresher item for your consideration:

tshadowchaser wrote on 11-24-2005:
Re: "Modern Arnis: The Next Generation"

Who do the men mentioned above consider to be the students they now have that will impact the art the most

I responded on 11-28-2005:

Hey There, Shadowchaser,

Very nice idea and twist on the thread; the students of new generation that followed and trained with the late Professor. My choices would be:
Sifu Peter Vargas, Guro Oscar Lopez and Guro Dan Maize who learned under PG Tom Bolden and are currently members of the American Modern Arnis Associates. They all can be seen on the video clips from the AMAA site found on this forum under the video section.

From my own Independent Escrima-Kenpo Arnis Associates, I would refer people to Guro Richard Curren, Guro Tim Kashino, Guro Paul Martin and Guro Keith Roosa. Kashino and Martin can be found on the video series filmed at the Modern Arnis Symposium. I do not know of any video of Curren and Roosa at this time.
------------------------------

Sure does look like there aren't any takers in terms of responding to this question which has now been asked twice!!!!
icon10.gif

It would appear that only Tom Bolden and myself are interested in promoting the art beyond ourselves. We are actively preparing students
to follow us as we will eventually pass from the scene.
icon9.gif

Do you have any suggestions or other thought on your question?

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

This question was a part of the original question from the beginning....

Who are the people listed above, what is their current contribution to Modern Arnis, and who do [you] see as the up and coming leaders in Modern Arnis?

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
What does it require to be seen as a player?

In this case I would think that an instructor of Modern Arnis would make the recommendation.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Palusut said:
This question was a part of the original question from the beginning....

True, my good Brother, so very true, however, my good forum friend, tshadowchaser, added the extra dimensional element - the students who are truely the NEXT generation. There will never be another 1st generation student of Professor Presas'. The die has been case, the fates have decreed that the first generation is now the CURRENT generation. It is the students of the first generation who truely hold the key to the future... and alas, I do detect some bleakness on the horizion... because right now Modern Arnis is going through '...boil, boil, oil, trouble and toil...'

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpo went through that as well, sometimes in a very ugly manner, but the art while possibly splintered, and oft-politicized, is still going strong.

James Miller

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think it's too soon to tell right now. I think we need another 5 years or so.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You may be correct in saying 5 more years
It is hard for me to say because I do not know what ranks have been given out by the first generation students nor do I know which 2nd generation students are showing that unique quality of being inventive or exceptional in their innner knowledge of techiques

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
WMAA said:
I think it's too soon to tell right now. I think we need another 5 years or so.

Hello James,

Please explain how you arrived at that number of years?
What do you expect to see at that point in time?

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
You may be correct in saying 5 more years
It is hard for me to say because I do not know what ranks have been given out by the first generation students nor do I know which 2nd generation students are showing that unique quality of being inventive or exceptional in their innner knowledge of techiques

Hi TShadowchaser,

You don't know which 2nd generation students are showing those unique qualities because they have HAVE NOT been identified by any of the current instructors other than myself. I named 7 people and gave the forum information about seeing these people via videos and video clips.
To date NO ONE ELSE has given us any indications about who the 2nd generation students are who could be expected to take on a leadership postion and move the art forward.

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Right now is waaaaaaaay too early. We old fellows aren't even in our graves yet. Walkers, even.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Hi Dan,

I disagree. We all should be in position to make some of those distinctions right now. Who are YOUR outstanding students? Which of YOUR students are showing outstanding potential and/or signs of future leadership in Modern Arnis and/or related arnis arts. This shouldn't take any rocket scientific type intellect. Just name YOUR students, if you have any and give us a site or source where we can view this people in action.

Respectfully yours,

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How does one become "up and coming"?

From the title being bestowed upon them by someone?
By getting in the public eye (publishing, videos, schools/seminars)?
Competition?
A combination of factors?

What elevates you from just being a player to a "mover and shaker"?

DrBarber

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Kenpo went through that as well, sometimes in a very ugly manner, but the art while possibly splintered, and oft-politicized, is still going strong.

The art as a whole is still going, but strongly and with good to above average potential for continued growth is debatable and depends on who you are talking to at a given point in time.

Respectfully posted,

Jerome Barber, Ed.D.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
Right now is waaaaaaaay too early. We old fellows aren't even in our graves yet. Walkers, even.

Although, some have started to suffer from receding hairlines... :D

It's still the time of the first generation students, and I too feel it's much too early to begin discussing who will be the next big thing. The article mentioned previously, by Mr. O'Grady, omits people like Dr. Presas and Dr. Schea who have turned out to be fairly prominent in this generation. Several of the Masters of Tapi-Tapi started the art in the early 90s, I believe--they haven't had time to train and groom their successors yet.

I can think of two young lakans in the WMAA that have significant potential, and that I and others in the org. have commented on as possible future stars, but to mention them here when they are not making any sort of public plays for position seems inappropriate. I'd rather limit my public speculation to those who have thrown their hats into the ring.

There are first generation students of the Professor who are still fairly young who haven't really broken out yet. Many of them will be heard from in the future. The first generation needs decades more time to play out their hand. It'll be some while before we see the second generation coming to the forefront of Modern Arnis.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dunno about that...the reins are always available to those who pick them up. How one goes about doing that is the question.

James Miller

Purple Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
There are first generation students of the Professor who are still fairly young who haven't really broken out yet. Many of them will be heard from in the future. The first generation needs decades more time to play out their hand. It'll be some while before we see the second generation coming to the forefront of Modern Arnis.

Mr. Barber-

I think that the above quote explains it all. It takes time and in 5 - 10 years we may start to see a few candidates. The 1st generation just took over and is in the process of working things out. 2nd generation students as aspiring as they may be still need time and experience. The next generation must be good martial artists as well as Leaders. It takes time for both.

James Miller

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
I dunno about that...the reins are always available to those who pick them up. How one goes about doing that is the question.

So why don't you try? The big problem with some one trying to grab the reins that has had no public visibility is that they haven't earned the communities respect.

:asian:

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
WMAA said:
Mr. Barber-

I think that the above quote explains it all. It takes time and in 5 - 10 years we may start to see a few candidates. The 1st generation just took over and is in the process of working things out. 2nd generation students as aspiring as they may be still need time and experience. The next generation must be good martial artists as well as Leaders. It takes time for both.

Both are pretty subjuctive terms are they not?

Latest Discussions