Which sword art do you study?

Which sword arts do you study?

• Western (European Long/Short sword)

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • European Fencing (Eppe, Foil, Saber, Rapier)

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • Chinese sword arts (Taiji Sword, BroadSword, Shaolin Sword, etc)

Votes: 44 19.7%
  • Japanese sword arts (Kenjutsu, Kendo, Iaido, Iaijutsu, Battojutsu)

Votes: 134 60.1%
  • Korean sword arts

Votes: 32 14.3%
  • Arabian Sword Arts

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Other (Please post and specify)

Votes: 22 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I do a freestyle sword system. It's based on a blend of medieval swordfighting, Kumdo, Iaido, and traditional Kendo modernized for current situations (baseball bats and clubs). Very weird training but very interesting too.

Solidman82

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Prince George B.C., But I will soon be moving to Vancouver where my freestyle Instructor resides. We just need to find a place to train.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Arabian dagger
it's half martial art half dancing!
they do performances in wedding parties LOL
now I may start studying Tai Chi sword as a part of my kung fu training

Walter Wong

Green Belt
Reaction score
I train Chinese and Japanese swordsmanship.

In my Kung Fu school, you learn weapons by default to accompany the barehand combat. So for blade training at my Kung Fu school it's Jian/straight sword and Broadsword/saber.

It's a common misconception to people outside of Chinese Martial Arts to think Tai Chi sword and Shaolin sword is different when it's actually the same straight double edged sword used by both Shaolin and Tai Chi styles. Broadsword/saber is also used by both Shaolin and Tai Chi. The usage of either Jian/straight sword pretty much the same between Shaolin and Tai Chi and same with Broadsword/saber. There are only so many ways you can fight with the same kind of sword or blade.

For Japanese swordsmanship, I'm training Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaido and just recently started Nami Ryu which itself contains it's Kenjutsu, Iaijutsu and Aikijujutsu. Doing Nami Ryu under different instruction from the Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu.

OP
Captain Harlock

Captain Harlock

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So many different styles. What wonderous diversity we have here. I have enjoyed rereading this old thread of mine and seeing so many new faces with so many new ideas for me to learn about.
:asian:

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
study iado now, through my aikido school, used to study modern fencing, foil epee and saber, also in wing chun did double butterfly knifes,

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Charles Mahan said:
You could call the main line of MJER Iaijutsu if you want, but you'd be technically wrong. The organization uses Iaido and Iai-heiho.

Masayuki Shimbukuro Hanshi refers to his style as Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iaijutsu (not Iaido). I would think he would know, considering he has been named the inheritor-designate to Miura Hanshi.

Respects,

Frank

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
By mainline, I was referring to the Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Seitokai led by Ikeda Takashi-soke, which does use Iaido. Well sometimes it does, when it isn't using Iai-heiho.

I stopped using the term main line to indicate the ZNIR/Seitokai line some time ago. While the ZNIR/Seitokai line is the single largest of the MJER branches by a substantial margin, the term main line is unnecessarily confusing. The post you have responded to is more than 2 years old.

T

TheBattousai

I do training in all sword arts, but the eastern sword arts are my favorites.

T

TheBattousai

Charles Mahan said:
Really. Man you get around. How many hundreds of styles you reckon you're proficient in?

Are you refering to me?

Latest Discussions