arthur cavello

Discussion in 'Sword Arts Talk' started by progressivetactics, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Anyone familiar with Arthur Cavello?

He is known here as the michigan samurai, and actually gets flown into Japan to teach Iaido to Japanese Masters. He is the real deal, and well certified by Japanese Government for his work with them.

Anyone familiar with him?

2. Saitama Steve

Saitama Steve Blue Belt

Chelsea, London, UK/Souka-shi, Saitama Ken, JPN
    Bovine feces my friend, bovine feces.

3. Charles Mahan

Charles Mahan Purple Belt

I suggest you repeat that query in the Baffling Budo form at http://www.e-budo.com

The claims you make regarding his trips to Japan are outlandish to say the least.

4. Gregory Allan Childs

Gregory Allan Childs White Belt

I'm familiar with the michigan samurai. I ctually know him personally. He's a good friend of my grandfather,and he just recently came to my dojang to watch my belt testing. If there is anything you would like to know, I can probably get information for you.

5. pgsmith

pgsmith Master of Arts

Hello Mr. Childs,
    Seeing as how this thread is over four years old, I seriously doubt that the original poster will answer you. However, since you are volunteering, I would seriously like to know how this person can claim to be "flown to Japan to teach iaido to Japanese masters?" Also, how can someone be "well certified by the Japanese government?"

Having been involved in the Japanese sword arts for a number of years, I don't personally see how either of those claims could be possible. Perhaps it was simply a misunderstanding on the part of the original poster?

Just curious.

6. Sukerkin

Sukerkin Have the courage to speak softly

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    I have to concur that, as we strive to maintain a polite mien, claims such as those made in the long ago OP can only be attributed to a misconception of the nature and hierarchy of the JSA.

7. Planetary

Planetary White Belt

Let's see how many years later a reply can be sent. Arthur Cavallo is indeed the Michigan Samurai, h he does have accolades from the Japanese Government, the part that is getting twisted is that they used to fly him in yearly to teach seminars WITH the Grand Masters not TO the Grand Masters. I was a student of his many years ago. He garnered favor by the Emperor of Japan because he was a foreigner who made his life about learning Japanese arts from the Grandmasters.

I can understand the confusion. One word makes a big difference. Arthur Cavallo was a 5 time inductee to The Martial Arts Hall of Fame. He prefers not to have much information digitally however. But I can verify through many photos that I have seen, he is indeed "The Real Deal"

8. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    It's nice that every decade or so someone posts something to defend this guy ( is he still alive?) but of course the rest of us are left as baffled as ever because there's simply no proof.
    Still, welcome to MT .

9. kempodisciple

kempodisciple MT Moderator Staff Member

There are like 20 different martial arts hall of fames. From what I recall, you end up with letters from most of them asking if you want to join after some big event-normally allowing you to join, after you pay a fee for the privilege.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Planetary

Planetary White Belt

It is incredibly frustrating that there is not much proof but that is by his own doing. I have personally seen, first hand, photos and videos of particular accolades. But because he used to make a small income by selling them, he wouldn't let anyone digitize them. He is still alive and is 73 years old. I intend to go and visit him in there next few weeks and again see if he will allow anyone to digitize some of his works.

Here is extremely old school and still did things there old school way. Here also worked with local police agencies, so I guess there was a bit of reason for the anonymity. But Wow it is beyond frustrating not having any physical proof.

As an Iai student, I had to learn an unbelievable amount of information, i never received any particular belts and personally wouldn't want to. I could have but it wasn't necessary to train or learn. Your Obi got dirty as it got dirty. You learned Kata, you learned technique and you learned traditionally. I know there are several schools in Southeast Michigan started by his students at this point.

I have personally seen photos of him at the Ceremony When Elvis got his first Black Belt. I have seen photos personally with him having tea with grandmasters and teaching with them. Or the ceremony when his Katana was Given to Him.

In all likelyhood, the proof will just never be there or if it does surface it will be after his passing. And I cannot tell you how frustrating that is to me, that he will likely disappear to the shadows because he is too stubborn to let stuff out.

Attached Files:

11. O'Malley

O'Malley Green Belt

What style of sworsmanship did Cavello train?
    Who was his instructor?
    What rank/certificate does he hold in said style?

Iaido is a pretty recent martial art so I guess it would be relatively easy to check whether he's the "real deal".

12. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    I’ve been invited several times to at least two of them. No idea what might have led them to issue that invitation. Maybe it’s every time I get back up to 5 students.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

Are you asked to pay a fee?

This is always what I thought these things are.

14. gpseymour

gpseymour MT Moderator Staff Member

• Supporting Member
    Yep. Usually more than the total fees I charge in a month.123