Which sword art do you study?

Which sword arts do you study?

• Western (European Long/Short sword)

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • European Fencing (Eppe, Foil, Saber, Rapier)

Votes: 27 12.1%
  • Chinese sword arts (Taiji Sword, BroadSword, Shaolin Sword, etc)

Votes: 44 19.7%
  • Japanese sword arts (Kenjutsu, Kendo, Iaido, Iaijutsu, Battojutsu)

Votes: 134 60.1%
  • Korean sword arts

Votes: 32 14.3%
  • Arabian Sword Arts

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Other (Please post and specify)

Votes: 22 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TheBattousai said:
Are you refering to me?

I imagine he does, after all, you stated that

TheBattousai said:
I do training in all sword arts, but the eastern sword arts are my favorites.

There being (at least) dozens of japanese sword arts alone, it seems like a fair, if "a bit" sarcastic, question

T

TheBattousai

I don't really mean the arts themselves as much as I mean the weapons and princibles. I train (as far as arts go) in kobujutsu, so its good to use a variaty of weapons for training, as well as a variaty of swords; so I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I do practice also the different types of sword uses too (i.e. Katana - Kenjutsu, Iaijutsu, Battojutsu, etc.). I try to have a good grasp on all weapons and princibles, because its not the you may have the weapon in your possesion at time in which you need to defend yourslef, but the lessons you learned from training with them is what is important......in my opinion anyway. Sorry again for the misunderstanding. (I need to pay more attention to things in writing)

D

darkell

kroh said:
Nice...have you checked out www.fmatalk.com yet? Good stuff here and there. What kind of sword do you use when practicing. One of the guys I have had a few seminars with (Kevin Seaman) pulled out a giant Bolo style blade (from http://trainingblades.com I think) that he uses in his practice. Fun stuff.

Regards,
Walt

At the moment I just use sitcks, practice knives and a practice wooden sword. But I've only been doing kalis for less than 6 months now. As we get more advanced we start to use a blunt, straight, single edged, practice blade about 30 inches long.

Antonio Ilustrisimo (the founder) prefered the Barong which is a type of Bolo (I think). Not particularly large, about 30 inches again and shaped kinda like a machette. A picture is pretty easy to find if you google "barong bolo". My intrustor also practices with the barong but I've never actually seen him do it.

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok ok. I'll apologize. I was being unabashedly sarcastic. Was feeling a bit curmudgeonly yesterday. It's hard to take anyone seriously who uses that login id. It comes with too much baggage.

White Belt
Reaction score
MJER here....
Henderson, do you study with Long Sensei? I see you are in his neck of the woods

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If I had the time, I would probably start training in MJER too. It would be so easy to start, since my sensei is teaching that also. Oh well, maybe later

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Iaido, some Gatka but I haven't trained very much

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Lady Kaur,

Where are you studying Iaido in Massachusettes? I know a couple of instructors up there. Just curious.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay. Since I'm sure everyone's been holding their breath, waiting for my reply, it's...it's.... Oh my, what's it called again?

:)

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
138 said:
MJER here....
Henderson, do you study with Long Sensei? I see you are in his neck of the woods

Soory it too so long to reply. I seem to have forgotten about this thread. Long Sensei is my teacher's teacher. But I have trained withhim on multiple occasions.

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I study San Miguel Eskrima - primarily an espada y daga art. Wooden (rattan) weapons are used for training, although lately I've been using a pinute y daga from C.A.S. Iberia for solo training and a Hanwei rapier and dagger for partner work.

I've also played a little with Chinese weapons: Xing Yi Quan dao and jian for the most part.

One of my teachers also uses a schlager to teach certain points; this is similar to the rapier and dagger training that I do.

Best,

Steve Lamade

Wing Chun Dummy

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i haven't started properly studying yet, but in due time it will be the bart cham dao (broad swords / butterfly knives) of wing chun kung fu. i think they've gotta be some of the most common, due to the popularity of wing chun, surely

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I train in three sword arts: German Longsword, Italian Rapier, and German Sword & Buckler. Longsword is my main art. I hope to add Messer fighting to my repertoire someday.

Best regards,

-Mark

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
I voted "Other".

I don't exactly do a "sword art", but something close. It's called Sports Chanbara. As you can see, it's more of a sport. We learn basic sword strikes - men, kote, do, ashi and tsuki (head, wrist, body, foot and thrust), much of the rest is up to you. You can do the "sports" style, where there's a lot of jumping around - a hit anywhere means you're out - or you can do more "traditional" styles, like kenjutsu, or whatever sword art you happen to be learning.

Our focus is more on safe but full-speed, full-impact sparring using padded weaponry. Safety gear like helmets is of course provided, but injury rates are always as good as zero.

What do you think?

Insley Stiles

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Very long thread, lotsa interesting stuff. I study Itto Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu Kenjutsu (that's a mouthful eh). Our school evolved from a branching off that is more combat oriented.

Regards,
Ins

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I study Deer Hook Knife (some ppl call it them swords... weird looking swords, but still) in Ba gua and have done a bit of bokken stuff in Takemusu Aikido. I also started doing Taiji 32 sword (jian), but had to stop half way through 'cause i started at another school. I'd really like to get back to that someday.