Which martial arts should I take up?

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Last year I decided to get serious with my physique. It was a mix of me wanting to be better at university, wanting to be the better version of me. I took up crossfit and lost 10kgs. I'm in a way better shape (1.83, 95kg). My muscles are kinda grown up too, I'm very excited. However I am considering of picking up a martial art instead of crossfit. I do enjoy crossfit but I think a martial art can help me make some new friends, have a nice body and at the same time learn some nice moves? Although I'm not the guy who would ever punch anyone or anything, But maybe it would be a nice experience.. So what do you think would be suitable?

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you really dont want to worry about strikes and want to take MA for exercise and friends i would suggest BJJ, but it also depends on whats around you

OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Currently, I'm attending a crossfit gym that offers boxing, kickboxing and brasilian jjitsu classes. So it would be easier to chose one of these or maybe karate because i'm pretty sure there will be something like this around me.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Currently, I'm attending a crossfit gym that offers boxing, kickboxing and brasilian jjitsu classes. So it would be easier to chose one of these or maybe karate because i'm pretty sure there will be something like this around me.
so which of those interests you ?

OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well I'm not so sure. I tend to sweat a lot so I would feel very umcofrtable with bjj. Boxing always intrigued me more, although adding kicks maybe it would give me a better physique too? So the real dilemma is boxing vs kickboxing I think..

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well I'm not so sure. I tend to sweat a lot so I would feel very umcofrtable with bjj. Boxing always intrigued me more, although adding kicks maybe it would give me a better physique too? So the real dilemma is boxing vs kickboxing I think..
Are they included in your membership/can you try a free trial? If you can do both and see what instructor you like more.

Boxing still helps with overall physique even without kicks though-leg strength is important.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Sharptooth. :)

The best thing to do is to watch a few classes, in whatever places are easily available to you - and pick what looks like you would enjoy the most.

Do that and everything else usually falls into place. And keep us posted.

Christopher Adamchek

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Then go kick boxing , much more fun

OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can have a free trial I guess, I will just tell the owner that I'm considering boxing/ kboxing classes and that I need 1-2 trial lessons. I'm only worried if the work out will be inferior in terms of exercise quality (I presume there will be no free weights and bars to lift). Both the crossfit trainer and the boxing trainer are very good.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can have a free trial I guess, I will just tell the owner that I'm considering boxing/ kboxing classes and that I need 1-2 trial lessons. I'm only worried if the work out will be inferior in terms of exercise quality (I presume there will be no free weights and bars to lift). Both the crossfit trainer and the boxing trainer are very good.
it quite possibly will be''inferior'', if your knocking yourself to a state of calapse doing cross fit,

the answer to that is keep doing your work outs AND add a martial art skill training to the mix though quite a lot of cross fit is ill advised in the first place, so scaling it back a bit, may not be a bad thing. theres a lot more value in proper technique than cross fit seems to recognise, i mean just knock off the kipping pull up for a start and do proper ones

how you balance your skill against fitness training is up to you, how much time you have available and how quickly you recover and how much exactly the ma exhausts you, which is an unknown to all of us till you actually go and try it

OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wish i could have both but it would be too expensive. So it would have to be one of these. I wanted a martial arts so as to try a sport, maybe make some new friends and why not learn some self defence (although i'm not so sure how it would help in a difficult cirtumstance). It also feels kinda sexy. I mean, i don't do it for pretending to be a sexy guy.. but when i practised kickboxing for 2-3 times in my life i kinda felt a nice rush. Maybe sexy was not the right word but i think you get what I mean. I felt kinda strong.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well yeah because it’s a kickboxing gym not a weight lifting gym

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wish i could have both but it would be too expensive. So it would have to be one of these. I wanted a martial arts so as to try a sport, maybe make some new friends and why not learn some self defence (although i'm not so sure how it would help in a difficult cirtumstance). It also feels kinda sexy. I mean, i don't do it for pretending to be a sexy guy.. but when i practised kickboxing for 2-3 times in my life i kinda felt a nice rush. Maybe sexy was not the right word but i think you get what I mean. I felt kinda strong.
well then you need to train else where, ive often wonder what cross fit has that makes it so expensive, all you need is a pull up bar some boxes to jump on and something heavy to lift, and your good to go

there a very inexpensive gym round the corner that provided all of those, but then you can find these things just lying about

or alternatively find a cheaper ma to practice, cross fot do seem intent on extracting as much money as possible from people, see how it compares with the market

Last edited:
OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think because it's of the few number of people involved. In the place that I go we are from 5-15 people per class while in a non-crossfit gym there could be a hall full of people and you would fight all the time with people that would get the instruments before you or you had people say "oh hay pal can we share it?
But in this place boxing, kick boxing cost almost the same. 150 per 3 months while crossfit 162 per 3 months.

OP
S

Sharptooth

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well yeah because it’s a kickboxing gym not a weight lifting gym
Well there is a weight lift place in the same gym so they could use some of its equipment. The ideal would be 2 times boxing 2 times crossfit. It's just that you see someone who practices let's say boxing and he has a great boxing and u think oh i will do boxing and i will get ripped. But actually it's mostly work out in a regular gym or crossfit...

KenpoMaster805

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Any Martial arts will be great for you as long as your motivated

Go to any martial arts school near you and observe them on how they train who their head instructor and see if there any good and see which one you like and make sure as how much is the price and make sure you can afford it

But for me take Kenpo karate its a good Martial arts to learn i been doing kenpo karate for 7 years and luv it

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think because it's of the few number of people involved. In the place that I go we are from 5-15 people per class while in a non-crossfit gym there could be a hall full of people and you would fight all the time with people that would get the instruments before you or you had people say "oh hay pal can we share it?
But in this place boxing, kick boxing cost almost the same. 150 per 3 months while crossfit 162 per 3 months.
50 a month isnt at all bad for cross fit, its commonly 3 or 4 times that,

it is however still a lot of money for what you get, whovj can be easily replicated at home for an out lay of a few dollars

gyms arnt general crowded, except for january, well not for box j7mping and doing pull ups anyway, the

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

If the boxers or kick boxers are serious there should be some sort of conditioning you could ask about that as well

Latest Discussions