Which is the best gi for BJJ?

Love2Train8541

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm deciding between getting the Elite sports gi, the Sanabul gi or the Hyperfly gi. I'm just starting BJJ and I want a descent prize for a good quality brand. Any advice?

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a handful of gis and I really don't notice the difference when I'm rolling.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been training BJJ for 23 years and I mostly just buy whatever brand is most affordable. I'm fond of Sanabul, which seems to fit me particularly well. I haven't noticed a significant difference in the quality between different brands.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm considering starting the "long journey" myself. If there's no correlation between price and quality (as there tends to be with karate gis), then I suppose that would free me up to choose according to the looks and designs that appeal to me most.

OP
L

Love2Train8541

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been training BJJ for 23 years and I mostly just buy whatever brand is most affordable. I'm fond of Sanabul, which seems to fit me particularly well. I haven't noticed a significant difference in the quality between different brands.
Ohh too late, I already ordered the Elite gi :( am I better off getting the Sanabul instead?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ohh too late, I already ordered the Elite gi :( am I better off getting the Sanabul instead?
Not necessarily. Sanabuls fit me well, but your body proportions probably aren’t the same as mine.

Pretty much any BJJ gi will do the job for you. If you stick with training long enough to wear out a few gis, you may find some brands that you prefer. If you have a bunch of disposable income, you might decide to blow some of it on an expensive gi that you think looks particularly stylish. If you’re like me, you can just get a basic economy model that works just as well.

OP
L

Love2Train8541

White Belt
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Sanabuls fit me well, but your body proportions probably aren’t the same as mine.

Pretty much any BJJ gi will do the job for you. If you stick with training long enough to wear out a few gis, you may find some brands that you prefer. If you have a bunch of disposable income, you might decide to blow some of it on an expensive gi that you think looks particularly stylish. If you’re like me, you can just get a basic economy model that works just as well.
Sounds reasonable. Right now my income isn't that great so a descent price will work best for me. Is the Elite quality almost as good as the Sanabul? They're about the same cost.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds reasonable. Right now my income isn't that great so a descent price will work best for me. Is the Elite quality almost as good as the Sanabul? They're about the same cost.
I haven't tried them yet, but they're probably about equivalent to the Sanabul. I might get an Elite next time I buy a new gi, just to compare. They claim that the gi is pre-shrunk, which would be a plus, if accurate.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The only issue is some clubs restrict the colour.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I just got my second gi in the mail today, and I'm noticing a difference.

I'm starting off "low investment," and then maybe later on moving up to brands like Combat Corner, Origin, etc.

First gi was a Sanabul Core ($79.99 on Amazon). Having nothing to compare it to, it's fine. But then I went cheaper and ordered an Elite ($64.99). The Elite doesn't look like it's gonna last as long as the Sanabul. I really like the ripstop pants on the Sanabul, and the Elite pants are just regular cotton.

As with everything else in life, you get what you pay for.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just got my second gi in the mail today, and I'm noticing a difference.

I'm starting off "low investment," and then maybe later on moving up to brands like Combat Corner, Origin, etc.

First gi was a Sanabul Core ($79.99 on Amazon). Having nothing to compare it to, it's fine. But then I went cheaper and ordered an Elite ($64.99). The Elite doesn't look like it's gonna last as long as the Sanabul. I really like the ripstop pants on the Sanabul, and the Elite pants are just regular cotton.

As with everything else in life, you get what you pay for.
If you feel like it, report back after you've had the Elite for a while. I was curious about 1) their claims of being pre-shrunk and 2) cotton/polyester blend fabric (most of the gis I've had have been 100% cotton).

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you feel like it, report back after you've had the Elite for a while. I was curious about 1) their claims of being pre-shrunk and 2) cotton/polyester blend fabric (most of the gis I've had have been 100% cotton).
I've worn it twice, and I always cold wash and hang dry my gis. So I may not be able to attest.

But, I've got some bad news. I can't compare it to the Sanabul anymore, because I've got a mouse loose in the house, and it chewed a hole through the Sanabul gi top while it was hanging to dry. So I'm in the middle of handling that now.

Cool thing is, my job is sending me away for a week, so I've got more time to shop around for a replacement (i.e., I'm not under a time crunch to get something "right away" this time).

I'm considering getting one with a "plain" look, and putting my own patches on it.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny, I've been training for exactly one month, but I'll pull some experience from karate into this as well.

I replaced my Sanabul with a Gold. Gold isn't a cheap brand, but it's not expensive either (like Origin or Shoyoroll). It's definitely higher quality gi that breathes better than the Sanabul.

What I've learned, from both martial arts is this: it's often recommended that if you're just starting out, you should just buy the cheapest thing you can find since you haven't established that you're in this for the long haul.

I say only do that if that's what your budget allows. Otherwise, do your online research - whether it's online reviews, or asking around on forums like this - and spend the minimum amount on something that you can see yourself using in the long term, rather than on something that you're going upgrade from soon. You end up spending more by doing that.

You can by a $50 gi on Amazon, discover that you really enjoy BJJ, and spend $200 on an Origin a few months later. That's $250.

Or get something inbetween that you're going to be more than content with.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions