I think I might start avoiding this guy

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's a guy at my dojo. Let's do the Chewie thing and call him Bob. Bob is a 4-stripe blue belt, nearly purple belt. He's also a 4th Dan in Taekwondo, which is something that he and I bonded over when I first started BJJ. He's a nice guy, very unassuming. Until you roll with him.

In the past, folks have complained about his spider guard. I get it, that's a tight position. I've noticed in the past that he's much more intense than others who vastly outrank me. But, he's given me good advice, and he's shown me some cool moves.

Some of you may have seen the image in the general section, in Balrog's thread about knees. This blue belt is the one that accidentally injured my knee. I showed him the bruise, and he did seem a bit guilty, so I assured him that it's all soft tissue and that I don't hold a grudge. To prove it, I rolled with him again this weekend. This is when I realized that he only has one gear. Because here he is a week after injuring me, and he's still going at full intensity. It actually led to what I think is the dumbest tap I've ever seen: he was trying to get me in a triangle, and I was trying to posture up. He was pulling so hard that my frames almost broke his rib and he had to tap out. The really dumb part is, if he would have stopped pulling me into him, the pressure would have stopped, so it's not like he even needed to tap.

Later that day, I got to talking to some of the other white belts in my dojo. They were telling me that they've had similar issues with his intensity. Although in their case, they've noticed that if he knows you have an injury, he goes there. For example, one guy has a bad ankle, and this guy always goes after ankle locks on that ankle. Which tells me he's not training, he's just trying to win (against no-stripe white belts). It really surprises me, because not only is he one of the higher ups in our school, but he's done way more martial arts than just the BJJ.

For him to go hard against me the week after injuring me (to the point of nearly injuring himself), and then to hear the other folks say they don't trust him either, I think I'm going to start avoiding rolls with him.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sensible decision. Once you get to a certain level of experience and skill, you'll be able to roll with guys like this and keep both yourself and the other person safe. Until then, stick to training partners who have better control.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
People like this exist at every gym. I have a guy like this too, I can relate.

There is a certain lad at my gym. One or two years younger than me, but twice my size. I'd say around 6 foot 3, and easily over 220lbs. His size wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the fact that he only has one gear too. He's a four-stripe white belt, just like me, but he is on the elite competition team. He performs well at his competitions I believe, but from what I've been told by a blue belt on the team, there is good reason for him not having received his blue belt yet.

For some context, I first rolled with him back when I was having elbow issues. I specifically asked him to go easy because of my injury. As soon as the roll starts, the first thing he does is grab a body lock from my back and baby-suplex me to the ground. I break fall, but I am reeling from the shock of the throw and instinctually attempt to establish a De La Riva to keep him away. As soon as I do this, he grabs my ankle and cranks what was either an Estima lock or a toe-hold so hard, that I yell out in pain without having time to tap. I haven't rolled with him since.

Simply put, all he likes to do is smash. He doesn't particularly enjoy the more sport-like aspects and according to the blue belt on the elite team, this is the reason why he won't get promoted. For example, he doesn't escape closed guard "correctly". If he winds up in your closed guard, he will latch his arms around you, and pick you up off the ground with him, threatening to slam you if you don't let go. This is a good strategy under ADCC rules sure, but as a white belt, even if you're on the elite team, using your brute strength to pick someone up in a position that goes against your leverage isn't technique.

Furthermore, he just doesn't play guard. At all. This isn't an exaggeration. I have never seen him play guard. One time, during practice we were doing a king of the mat drill where you have to start in someone's closed guard, one person trying to sweep, the other trying to pass. At one point, it is his turn to play closed guard and he is paired up with a complete beginner with no martial art experience. How did this roll end? The ******* stood up and slammed him on the mat so hard that his partner was winded.

Other people have complained about him too. At this point, he only rolls with others on the elite team. I don't think white belts or blue belts roll with him at all anymore.

He is the only person in the gym that I refuse to roll with. Anyone else is fine. If I get smashed, heelhooked, etc. that's fine because I trust they will give me time to tap. Sometimes I feel like a coward for ducking him, and I imagine you might feel that way too. But I always remind myself that there is a big difference between avoiding injury and avoiding learning from being smashed in a roll. Maybe in a few months, a year, or even few years if need be, when I feel like I can handle him, I will give him a good role. But there are plenty of other people I can aim to surpass before trying to roll with someone who seems to actively enjoy hurting his partners.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
People like this exist at every gym. I have a guy like this too, I can relate.

There is a certain lad at my gym. One or two years younger than me, but twice my size. I'd say around 6 foot 3, and easily over 220lbs. His size wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the fact that he only has one gear too. He's a four-stripe white belt, just like me, but he is on the elite competition team. He performs well at his competitions I believe, but from what I've been told by a blue belt on the team, there is good reason for him not having received his blue belt yet.

For some context, I first rolled with him back when I was having elbow issues. I specifically asked him to go easy because of my injury. As soon as the roll starts, the first thing he does is grab a body lock from my back and baby-suplex me to the ground. I break fall, but I am reeling from the shock of the throw and instinctually attempt to establish a De La Riva to keep him away. As soon as I do this, he grabs my ankle and cranks what was either an Estima lock or a toe-hold so hard, that I yell out in pain without having time to tap. I haven't rolled with him since.

Simply put, all he likes to do is smash. He doesn't particularly enjoy the more sport-like aspects and according to the blue belt on the elite team, this is the reason why he won't get promoted. For example, he doesn't escape closed guard "correctly". If he winds up in your closed guard, he will latch his arms around you, and pick you up off the ground with him, threatening to slam you if you don't let go. This is a good strategy under ADCC rules sure, but as a white belt, even if you're on the elite team, using your brute strength to pick someone up in a position that goes against your leverage isn't technique.

Furthermore, he just doesn't play guard. At all. This isn't an exaggeration. I have never seen him play guard. One time, during practice we were doing a king of the mat drill where you have to start in someone's closed guard, one person trying to sweep, the other trying to pass. At one point, it is his turn to play closed guard and he is paired up with a complete beginner with no martial art experience. How did this roll end? The ******* stood up and slammed him on the mat so hard that his partner was winded.

Other people have complained about him too. At this point, he only rolls with others on the elite team. I don't think white belts or blue belts roll with him at all anymore.

He is the only person in the gym that I refuse to roll with. Anyone else is fine. If I get smashed, heelhooked, etc. that's fine because I trust they will give me time to tap. Sometimes I feel like a coward for ducking him, and I imagine you might feel that way too. But I always remind myself that there is a big difference between avoiding injury and avoiding learning from being smashed in a roll. Maybe in a few months, a year, or even few years if need be, when I feel like I can handle him, I will give him a good role. But there are plenty of other people I can aim to surpass before trying to roll with someone who seems to actively enjoy hurting his partners.
My guy doesn't sound as bad as your guy. I don't think I will outright refuse to roll with him, just I won't seek him out. He's usually in a different class, so I'm only even on the mat with him 1-2x per week anyway, and our school is growing so we're less likely to see each other.

Your story did remind me of something quite the opposite, though. There's an 18-year-old former wrestler in great shape who just started. I got paired up with him. I'm thinking, I don't want to be on bottom, so I shouldn't pull guard. I don't want to play standup and go for the take-down, because he's a wrestler and he'll win that too.

Before I could figure out my strategy, he goes, "I'd like to work on bottom defense. Can you take top position?"

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your story did remind me of something quite the opposite, though. There's an 18-year-old former wrestler in great shape who just started. I got paired up with him. I'm thinking, I don't want to be on bottom, so I shouldn't pull guard. I don't want to play standup and go for the take-down, because he's a wrestler and he'll win that too.

Before I could figure out my strategy, he goes, "I'd like to work on bottom defense. Can you take top position?"
This is the mark of someone who is likely to progress quickly. He knows that he is already strong in one area, so rather than rely on that to "win" sparring matches, he puts himself in position to work on his weaknesses.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is the mark of someone who is likely to progress quickly. He knows that he is already strong in one area, so rather than rely on that to "win" sparring matches, he puts himself in position to work on his weaknesses.
I agree. I'm just glad because I feel like I got some work in, and I know he did as well. I didn't tap him, but I did get lots of practice on top position and on attacks.

Which, if he was just trying to win, I'd probably spend a lot of time getting smashed.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This guy also sounds like he would be a good one to work with for take downs and take down defense. "Hey, I would like to work on my take down defense, mind if we start standing?" As long as he is asking to work on his problem area, he should understand you wanting to work on your problem area... or at least and area where he is better, and could help you up your game there. Could be a great training partner there.