Which do you actually do?

Which one do you actually do?

• Kali

• Arnis (Including Modern)

• Escrima

Results are only viewable after voting.
M

Master of Blades

Which one do you actually do? Kali, Escrima or Arnis? And who actually seriously practices and not just as an add on to another class.....:rofl: :shrug: :asian:

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I Train and Teach Modern Arnis

and I also study Balintawak Escrima.

OP
M

Master of Blades

Hmm.........seems Kali isnt very popular up around you guys is it!

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Cf. Mark Wiley's "Filipino Martial Culture" (Tuttle) pp. 307-44 for an interesting discussion regarding the use of the terms "kali," "eskrima," and "arnis" for various Filipino martial arts.

Wiley's argument is paraphrased in my post under the "FMA Vocabulary Needed" thread.

See also my post (Reply #21) on the "Influence of Spanish Renaissance Swordsmanship..." post on the public forum of the Dog Brothers' website: www.dogbrothers.com

Best,

Steve Lamade

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Master of Blades

Hmm.........seems Kali isnt very popular up around you guys is it!

Well if you look at most of the influence to Modern Arnis for the stick fighting it came from teh Presas Family Style whihc I beleve they called Escrima as well as the Balintawak Escrima. From what I heard, and I maybe wrong, it was decided to use the term Modern Arnis versus some Escrima name. Since, in the area the term Arnis was not being overly used if used at all.

As Pointed out by the esteemed previous poster and his reference to Mark Wiley's Book and and the post as referenced, discuss the terms used, and some of the history.

Study all the stories and posts and then go and ask your own questions to the old Manong Masters and then make your own determination.

Just my thoughts.

Train well everyone

Rich
:)

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ive dabeled in a couple of others.
Like Kali , Buno & Balintawak

:cheers:

The 14th Style

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Eskrima
Mostly Serrada, some Largo. It is the only art I do. I would love to learn Dumog and Cadena de mano, i've seen a little. One of the things I love About the FMA's is that there are so many styles and systems to learn from, it's like an endless banquet.
Resectfully The 14th Style

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Modern Arnis from Remy Presas, Modern Arnis 80 (my curriculum based on my teacher's instructions) and I am hoping to add Balintawak Escrima shortly.

Dan Anderson

dearnis.com

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Certainly more time teaching/training Modern Arnis, however currently most of my time is spent as a student of Sayoc Kali.
Chad

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by dearnis.com

Certainly more time teaching/training Modern Arnis, however currently most of my time is spent as a student of Sayoc Kali.
Chad

Chad,

For those of us who have not trained in the Sayoc Kali, could you start another thread and do maybe a compare contrast of the two arts you mentioned, Modern Arnis and Sayoc Kali. I understand that the Sayoc is largely Knife based. Just curious to learn more.

Rich
:cool:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Primary art : Modern Arnis. (Working towards Blue Belt...)

Secondary arts:
Kenpo, Wing Chun, Northern Shaolin Sword

Trinary arts:
Japanese Sword (Iaido, Kenjitsu, etc), Dha (believe its part of Bando???), Ninjutsu, jojutsu

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Master of Blades

And who actually seriously practices and not just as an add on to another class.....:rofl: :shrug: :asian:

I think some of the people missed this part of the thread. I do FMA as my primary art. How many others do the same?

Latest Discussions