Which one do you actually do?

• Kali

• Arnis (Including Modern)

• Escrima

Results are only viewable after voting.

albert28

White Belt
Reaction score
Which one do you actually do? Kali, Escrima or Arnis? And who actually seriously practices and not just as an add on to another class.....:rofl: :shrug: :asian:
in filmocans.we do escrima, arnis and knife handling..........Master Panto is a legacy to be known by all........
icon7.gif

albert28

White Belt
Reaction score
to my fellow filmocans.let us continue the spirit of brotherhood.........

albert28

White Belt
Reaction score
Escrima... we at Filmocan Escrima club practise mutiple weaponry. from daggers, garote, pinuti(long one side bladed weapon), bull whip, throwing knives, spear, 2 meter long chain, hand to hand combat, grappling and combat sirado, REALISTIC ESPADA Y DAGA, abisidario(long and short range. www.filmocan.coms.ph

gud day to you sir........i've heard of your name from Master Panto........im his new member for months ago.......we still here in Cebu still continue the spirit of filmocans.......Master was just so unfortunate that he doesn't have his own gym......if only he has one, i'm pretty sure many would be ignited to join........have a gud day.... worry not coz in a few days he would join in this forum.have a gud day............:asian:
icon14.gif

Master Panto

White Belt
Reaction score
My understanding of the difference in spelling (which I take from Mark Wiley's Filipino Martial Culture ) is that both terms derive from the Spanish word esgrimar , which can mean "to skirmish."

Wiley states that "escrima" is an improper adaptation of the tem that was taken into the Tagalog language during the Spanish occupation of the Philippines; "eskrima" is the accepted romanization of the term based on the current Tagalog alphabet, which contains no letter "c."

While "eskrima" may be used more often today, neither "escrima" nor "eskrima" was originally a Tagalog term. Furthermore, the use of the term "escrima" is not incorrect insofar as it may accurately reflect the historical and cultural tradition of a specific school or style.

I suspect that this means that when Tagalog-speaking people used the term orally, it sounded exactly like "escrima" or "eskrima," but when the term was written by Spanish-speaking people they used either a "c" or a "k."

Best,

Steve Lamade

Gud day to you stephen....hey there its me Master Panto in Cebu, Philippines..its been quite long since we did'tnt get in touch with. I just like to ask have you & Oliver met again....Did he gave you a copy of CD of Demo of Mater Momoy?...How are you there guys?....Me still thesame way you've known....I'm so sorry I did't have a lot of tie to get in touch with you....Haven't it came to your schedule to visit Philippines.....I'm glad to meet you in person....Please do reply me....If you have further questions regarding San Miguel Eskrima feel free to ask me & I would be much willing to attend any of your questions....Would you like to have an original logo of San Miguel?..perhaps I could provide you....actually the logos being attached with the San Miguel are not the real ones....I could provide you everything that you may want about San Miguel... :asian:..Gud day...
Wishing for your best reply to me......

Sincerely,
Master Panto
icon14.gif

lhommedieu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I just like to ask have you & Oliver met again...

I'm driving to Pennsylvania his afternoon and will detour to see Oliver on my way.

I also have a DVD that I'll give to him and to you as well. I'm looking forward to corresponding with you about San Miguel Eskrima and will talk to you later this evening if I can get on-line.

Best wishes,

Steve Lamade

albert28

White Belt
Reaction score
Escrima... we at Filmocan Escrima club practise mutiple weaponry. from daggers, garote, pinuti(long one side bladed weapon), bull whip, throwing knives, spear, 2 meter long chain, hand to hand combat, grappling and combat sirado, REALISTIC ESPADA Y DAGA, abisidario(long and short range. www.filmocan.coms.ph
Hey there gud day! I'm a student of Master Panto..we do continue the teachings of filmocans still here in Mambaling..Master want to send this message to you..have you seen his name posted here already..he was waiting for your post for him too..& Oliver I bet did you recieve the adress of Master Panto which he gave you..if you have any inquiries to him just send him private message ..thnx..& have a good day!

Banakun

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the help but what I'm interested in now is Lightning Scientific Arnis International cuz I wanna know what the hell that is.....:confused:

Here's a primer on LSAI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U887uykZTUA&feature=user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdrRRtDwU3c&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBhErlYsbos&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arQM8MuUY1U&feature=user
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3NG31tSrH8&feature=related

BTW, there is no difference between the 3 (Arnis, Escrima, Kali). As a matter of fact, prior to some 20 years ago, I don't even think "kali" existed in the sense that it was generally used to describe FMA with the exception of a very vague mention in a book written in the 1950's (by Mirafuente/Yambao). The general term was either Escrima or Arnis. Of course nowadays, Kali is just another name used to describe FMA (among others, escrima and arnis included). It's all same-same... :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

kailat

Green Belt
Reaction score
< KALI > perse, however I percieve all of them to be the same art in the larger scheme of it all. I've studied in the styles of:

Inosanto Blend Kali / JKD
Serrada Eskrima
Pekiti Tirsia Kali
Doce Pares Eskrima
Sayoc Kali
Arnis De Mano
Sikal

So I consider myself a Kali player.. But its all the same to me!!!

hapkenkido

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i do modern arnis with bob quinn, but we have started to do some classical arnis too.

Topeng

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Alll those terms mean the same to me.

Primary art: BaHad Zu'Bu Kalis Ilustrisimo
Its also referred to as BaHad Zu'bu Eskrima.

The terminology I have seen people sometimes get confused with is thinking Panantukan, Pananjakman, or Dumog are the same as Eskrima, Kali. Though they are all part of FMA, those are each their own.

kalimistress

White Belt
Reaction score
I am a Kali practitioner. I am currently a Gold belt/sash but have decided that testing does not make me a better martial artist and probably will not test again. I am wanting to get into the Inosanto instructor program.

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This may raise some eyebrows. I do Bugtongan/ Kaliluhon this is a form of Kali sword and shield. The style is literally trickery, puzzle, and treachery. I have been ranked in Modern Arnis and PTK but I teach what I know best.

My training started in 1968 in TKD but I soon switched to FMA when I saw it actually work.

bobquinn

Green Belt
Reaction score
More power to you. Teach what you have been taught and persue what you don't know. Keep the faith.

Bob Quinn

Wabushmines

White Belt
Reaction score
Im practitioner in terms of Club Stick, a form of stick which is composed of different various style of stick art. In terms of " Club Stick" Doce Pares Cali Arnis Eskrima. which means, all kind of stick art. Single stick, Double stick, Short Stick, Medium Stick, Long stick nor Pole Stick and Blades Arts.