Where does the self defense start and stop.(And what difference does it really make anyway?)

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would argue that bouncing falls under the "defense" category when what you're doing is justifiable as your role as security. You are providing for the safety of the patrons or are protecting the property of the establishment by removing someone from the location.

If I am removing someone from a venue I am using force not disproportionate.

If they hit me I am no longer acting as a security guard but am instead acting in self defense.

Can I hit a guy as a security guard? No.

Can I hit a guy in self defence? Yes.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I am removing someone from a venue I am using force not disproportionate.

If they hit me I am no longer acting as a security guard but am instead acting in self defense.

Can I hit a guy as a security guard? No.

Can I hit a guy in self defence? Yes.

Even though you have the extra rules, you're still concerned with safety, and there is an asymmetrical goal between yourself and the person you are bouncing.

As opposed to a street fight, which generally has the symmetrical goal of pride.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even though you have the extra rules, you're still concerned with safety, and there is an asymmetrical goal between yourself and the person you are bouncing.

As opposed to a street fight, which generally has the symmetrical goal of pride.

Not really.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really.

Ok. It is just too simplistic an idea to think that a street fight will be two parties willingly engaging over pride.

I know it is a common claim But it just isn't the case.

Latest Discussions