Where did you learn your knife techniques?

Where did you learn your knife techniques

• Part of my regular cirriculum in MA

Votes: 50 76.9%
  • Seminar(s)

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • Self Taught

Votes: 18 27.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to have Mr Raymond Floro living only 10 minutes drive from me , and my friend and I were taught by him in his garage .

He taught us his own system called FFS Floro Fighting System , we trained with him for about a year.

He is one of the most nicest and skilled blokes I have ever met , when I first met him I said " What do I call you " and he said " Call me Ray" .

My friend, Tom Furman in Ft. Lauderdale has worked with Ray and I have seen some films, great stuff.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
My step dad was the president of a motorcycle club so I "learned" some things about knives at an early age.

As a teen my instructor showed me some knife stuff but other than that it was books and self and partner practice here and there.

When I came to the old Quantico Dojo, the Sempai Jim Tirey was a very skilled knife artist. He was in the Military and trained in differnt systems and with differnt people around the World, Military, Para Military and Civillian.

I know he had rank in Kuk Sul Won and Kuntao Silat, along with having trained in American Bowie style, and he was friends with Bob Kasper and Pukolsky and trained with them. Rick Fike as well.
He also trained with Dave Wink (Pekiti Tarsia/ Silat) for years untill his death 3 years ago.

So I studied with Jim for about 10 years and I have trained with Wink. My partner trains with him regularly.

Kinfe is a big part of what I do, it is my favorite weapon.
It is the primary weapon we teach at our school.

harold

Green Belt
Reaction score
In my Kenpo school, we had a guy who taught Kali so I started there then continued to read, and study through videos as there are not any FMA schools or teachers in my area,just a lot of sport oriented TKD schools.

Shin71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
They are taught as a part of our Army Combatives, it isn't all just ground fighting but in one of the karate's styles I took they had some knife stuff (Kenpo maybe) and then I took a knife fighting class at Ft. Carson that was supposedly based on Arnis. The Combatives was the most direct.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I learned through my kung fu training and a couple of bad experiences outside of the keun.

altc

White Belt
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to have Mr Raymond Floro living only 10 minutes drive from me , and my friend and I were taught by him in his garage .

He taught us his own system called FFS Floro Fighting System , we trained with him for about a year.

He is one of the most nicest and skilled blokes I have ever met , when I first met him I said " What do I call you " and he said " Call me Ray" .
I trained with Ray as well! Nice one! He is by far the best intstructor (and user) of the knife I have ever come across. Amazing, can make you feel absolutely useless at times... The best thing about training one on one with him (yes, in his garage) is that he spars at YOUR level! But just slightly ahead to make you dig deep. Amazing ability. Fantastic drills. Fantastic system.

Hey mook jong man, next time you train with him, tell Ray that Adam who writes at that site www.lowtechcombat.com said hello! No doubt he will laugh his head off. Nicest guy...

Oh, by the way, for this thread... I train mostly via one on one with Ray Floro. Began by doing some seminars with him then moved onto private lessons. Unfortunately I no longer live in Sydney so cannot train with him anymore... Only his DVDs.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I trained with Ray as well! Nice one! He is by far the best intstructor (and user) of the knife I have ever come across. Amazing, can make you feel absolutely useless at times... The best thing about training one on one with him (yes, in his garage) is that he spars at YOUR level! But just slightly ahead to make you dig deep. Amazing ability. Fantastic drills. Fantastic system.

Hey mook jong man, next time you train with him, tell Ray that Adam who writes at that site www.lowtechcombat.com said hello! No doubt he will laugh his head off. Nicest guy...

Oh, by the way, for this thread... I train mostly via one on one with Ray Floro. Began by doing some seminars with him then moved onto private lessons. Unfortunately I no longer live in Sydney so cannot train with him anymore... Only his DVDs.

I haven't been able to train with him for quite a while , moneys been pretty tight.

But I still practice all the stuff I was taught , either training solo or when I'm lucky enough to have a partner we mostly go unarmed against the knife using the universal shield or some knife vs knife sparring.

The thing about Ray is that there is absolutely no telegraph in his movements and he has an uncanny sense of distance.

You try your hardest to lunge in and stab him but he just makes you miss by millimetres and then makes you pay dearly for that mistake with a solid shot straight into the grill of the hockey helmet as your still trying to recover your balance .

Then to add insult to injury you have to listen as he laughs his head off maniacally , I don't know what got to me the most , getting the training boffer to the face every three seconds or the laughter lol.

altc

White Belt
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHHA

That is so true! Boffers to the face cage lol and then him laughing and then you! Soooooo what happens. Great learning environment. Great guy. He is so good at what he does. The really sobering thought is imagine if there were no grills/helmets and that padded boffer was a sharp piece of steel that was slamming into your face... devastating...

sounds like you have had some good sessions with him. Good times.

Latest Discussions