Where did you learn your knife techniques?

Where did you learn your knife techniques

• Part of my regular cirriculum in MA

Votes: 50 76.9%
  • Seminar(s)

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • Self Taught

Votes: 18 27.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Were your knife techniques self taught/videos? Are they part of your regular MA cirriculum or did you attend seminar(s) and learn them from there? Was is a mixture of all of the above?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A mixture of experimenting with training partner and frommy instructor and a few seminars. I must say that training with a live blae taught me much about fear and what i was really willing to try as opposed to learning technique X aginst a training blade

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Defensive or Offensive?

In kenpo we have empty-hand techniques to defend against someone who's attacking with a knife. For offensive technique (with the exception of a couple of seminars); I'm basically self-taught. A lot of the material that I train now is the result of working the material presented in books such as Kill or Get Killed by Col. Rex Applegate; Cold Steel by John Styers, and Get Tough by W.E. Fairbairn. I've also got several training DVD's from Datu Kelly Worden (these are great and I appreciate them even more because I was able to attend one of his seminars) and one called Reverse Edge Methods which is available from Shiv Works (excellent for extreme close-quarters). Of course, the seminars and DVD's also cover some defense.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Raining Lance
Glancing Lance
Piercing Lance
Thrusting Lance
Entwined Lance

Are all part of my schools curriculum for First Black.

Run away is my own, hopefully, common sense technique. :)

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
Raining Lance
Glancing Lance
Piercing Lance
Thrusting Lance
Entwined Lance

Are all part of my schools curriculum for First Black.

Run away is my own, hopefully, common sense technique. :)

Probably the best technique out there and can be taught to virtually everyone. :)

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tshadowchaser said:
A mixture of experimenting with training partner and frommy instructor and a few seminars. I must say that training with a live blae taught me much about fear and what i was really willing to try as opposed to learning technique X aginst a training blade

When you were learning with the live blade, was it during a seminar partnered with a total stranger or on your own? How long after you learned techniques did you start training with the live blade?

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
I learned my knife skills from two similar arts. I learned from an Inosanto Associate in 1983 at the University Of Maryland. I call it Inosanto Kali/Arnis/Eskrima. I also learned from a Kenpo Instructor around the same time, He called it Arnis. In 1993 I got exposure to Silat (Bukti Negara, Mande Muda & MaPhilIndo- Inosanto stuff) I worked with a Barong & Karombit. Fun stuff, but I wouldn't share it with just anyone, this stuff ends fights quickly. As I have read on these Forums, Just my 2 cents worth. PEACE

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
My first exposure was through a fellow kajukenbo student who also had dabbled in Inosanto-blend kali, after that I pursued it through video, seminar, and private lessons. Most recently I took up Pekiti-Tirsia Kali to give me an organized approach to the subject as well as regular access to a qualified teacher.

Lamont

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My kenpo material has a number of techniques designed to defend against a knife. Most of them are questionable at best, if not downright worthless and dangerous so I have eliminated them from my practice.

kamishinkan

Green Belt
Reaction score
Blade training (Defenses) came as a part of my martial art training (along with "sermons" on, "In defending against knives, prepare to be cut!". It seems that the blade defenses I learned are technically sound, but variables in a "real" situation can lead to anything! I hope I never have to defend against one, but if I do, I hope I am a little more prepared than I was!

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My techniques came from GM Remy Presas, some from Dan Inosanto, some from American kenpo, and some from various seminars i have attended.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Master Julies Melegrito at a the last 4 Combat Hapkido seminars....

[email protected]

Green Belt
Reaction score
This could be a long list!

Blade work was taught during most of my martial arts curriculums in some form or another:

Art of Combat
Budo Taijutsu
Pekiti Tirsia
Modern Arnis
Floro Fighting Systems
Sayoc Kali
AMOK! tribal art of the blade
Various forms of Silat
Doce Pares

Lot's and lot's of sparring!

But don't neglect any other source of training such as videos and books, as there is always something to glean from all sources and arts.

Train Hard it is the Way!

Guro Steve L.

www.Bujinkandojo.net

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Pentjak Silat Serak
Military Combatives (American & Russian)
some AMOK!
Pekiti Tirsia
The best kinifework I ever learned was from an elderly gentleman named Nestor Reyes. He was this old Filipino grocery bagger at a supermarket I frequented who noticed my schools t-shirt one day and asked about it. The next day he came over to see what we do, and he ended up coming over 3 days a week for the next several months and gave me some extensive knifework instruction. When I asked him what style this knifework was, he simply said "effective".

Franco

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
My JKD instructors spend a lot of time on knife play, and the Medieval European instruction devotes a third of the curriculum playing with and against the dagger. I've also attended a handful of workshops and seminars, and recently took up research on video (Modern Knives Video Magazine).

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me it started with bayonet training in the service. I also received a little training while I studied Kenpo. Compared to others who REALLY study weapon arts I'm terrible at it, but it's a start. :)

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Were your knife techniques self taught/videos? Are they part of your regular MA cirriculum or did you attend seminar(s) and learn them from there? Was is a mixture of all of the above?

A mixture of all of the above.

Latest Discussions