Where did you learn your knife techniques?

Where did you learn your knife techniques

• Part of my regular cirriculum in MA

Votes: 50 76.9%
  • Seminar(s)

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • Self Taught

Votes: 18 27.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Royal Marines while wating for weather to clear at the RM Para Centre in Devon, over a couple of years. Techniques are mostly offensive though.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I went to a knife course but, as a bow to American Kenpo, a proper hold was shown as well as how to employ empty hand techniques while carrying a blade (or two?). Additionally my Army Combative has some knife fighting to it but it was never really focused on so much as mentioned. Budo Taijutsu has some as well but they seem kind of flashy so I never take a look at them from time to time but it isnt something I think I would use. My Defensive Tactics has some knife defense techniques but they are very basic (not bad, just simple).

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
we covered knife fighting in the marine corps. it was also part of the curriculum for my combat jujitsu shodan. it was an optional part of training in shingitai jujitsu, & was mostly derived from fairbairn/sykes/applegate combatives. i also took a few private lessons in italian dagger from a fencing master, & dabbled in fencing for 6 months or so. i also picked up a lot of info from an excellent booklet "put 'em down, take 'em out: knife fighting techniques from folsom prison" by don pentacost.

jf

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Techniques are mostly offensive though.
IMO, when it comes to knife that's the best route. "The best Defense..." and all that jazz. As the knife becomes larger, it gives more defensive options such as parries, stop-cuts, and binds. Bowie Knife size is about where this starts but if your opponent is going to give you meaty attacks you can hit some sa-weet intercepting/stop-cuts on the wrist (IOW, if he's a novice).

IMO, most knife v knife is about how to cut/thrust without getting hit yourself. It's not fencing, but it's not NOT fencing either.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
a guy named mark wickersham from five rings fencing.

jf

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also attended a couple of police seminars with W.Hock Hochiem and spent a lot of time working with knives...

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
my knife training came mostly from class and then exploring what learned in class with classmates or friends "out side the box" as well as some tournaments. seminars too.

I had some books and videos, but those are just for entertainment, cuz what learn in class is much more complete than what people put on videos or books.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My own experience in learning blade work was a combination of self-taught, experienced street fighters and various MA-ists of various belts (above greens) and friends who had learned from the military... also actual (street) fighting with blades... I've some scars to show for them... but damned glad to be alive.

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My own experience in learning blade work was a combination of self-taught, experienced street fighters and various MA-ists of various belts (above greens) and friends who had learned from the military... also actual (street) fighting with blades... I've some scars to show for them... but damned glad to be alive.
good to know you're still around. experience is one of the best teachers.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to have Mr Raymond Floro living only 10 minutes drive from me , and my friend and I were taught by him in his garage .

He taught us his own system called FFS Floro Fighting System , we trained with him for about a year.

He is one of the most nicest and skilled blokes I have ever met , when I first met him I said " What do I call you " and he said " Call me Ray" .

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I learned from the Baat Jaam Dao in Wing Chun (Depending on what knife is being referenced...)

I also trained for five years give or take in Arnis (under the Presas system)
Utilized Knife(s), Stick(s) & Empty hands.

And then in CMA (Bei Tong Long) we utilize a Double Dagger form (Seung Bei Sau) but its really just a form & applications to the form not an entire knife fighting system as seen in a lot of FMA and or others.

To answer the question more specifically I trained Knife techniques in both a seminar setting (1 or 2 seminars, can't remember but was a special seminar in Wing Chun, of course also continued the training in a reg. setting as well)

Also in a normal training setting as part of the curriculum including W.C. haven't tried to learn any from vid's though, check out a couple of youtube vid's on occasions however but thats the extent of it.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mostly taken from the works of the medieval and renaissance masters, particularly German and Italian. This is for all permutations of dagger vs. unarmed, dagger vs. dagger, and dagger vs. longer weapons. I don't spend a lot of time on researching the dagger materials on my own, so I've learned most of my knife stuff from my instructor who has done the leg work on manual research in that area. My specialty is longsword. The nice thing is that the dagger stuff dovetails nicely with the armed grappling parts of longsword fencing, so when I'm shown something, it is at least similar to something I've already researched or been taught.

Incidentally, Jay Vail's book on medieval and renaissance dagger fighting is especially good.

Best regards,

-Mark

Erik Petermann

White Belt
Reaction score
Piper knife combat, here in Cape Town, in the early nineties. A reverse grip method, predicated on "ripping" with the tip of the knife to "soften up" the enemy and stabbing to finish things off. Used by criminals for two purposes:
1. Robbing people and 2. Fighting against opposing gangs.

Against an unarmed opponent, obviously, just about anything works. Against an experienced fellow criminal, who is similarly armed, it gets a bit more complicated.

I have also attended a few FMA seminars (Abner Pasa, Tom Sotis, Alfred Plath etc) and learnt the basic WW2 Combatives knife work from my WW2 combatives instructor, Harry Snowise.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Julia Childs.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/nov2000/nf20001121_471.htm

[FONT=arial,helvetica,univers]Q: You say knives are very important in cooking. Do you have any advice on that?
A:
Yes, you've got to have good knives that will sharpen and that can cut. You should be able to do all the dog work very fast. You need a great big chef's knife, a medium one, and a paring knife. You could get along with three. I have dozens because I'm a knife freak. [/FONT]

HerbM

White Belt
Reaction score
A lot from Systema (Ryabko Systema from Vlad Vasiliev and instructors he has trained) but lately and mostly from AMOK! by Tom Sotis, both seminars and classes with instructors he has trained, as well various videos from AMOK!, Felix, Valencia (excellent), Ron Balicki & Diana Lee Inosanto, ColdSteel, Gabe Suarez/Marc "Craft Dog" Denny, etc...

AMOK! focuses on knife defense and knife counters to attacks.

The "Die Less Often" video from Suarez and Denny is superb.

We finally have a regular AMOK! and Combatives group meeting each week in Austin so we are getting to train regularly now.

--
HerbM

Avenger2616

White Belt
Reaction score
A lot from Systema (Ryabko Systema from Vlad Vasiliev and instructors he has trained) but lately and mostly from AMOK! by Tom Sotis, both seminars and classes with instructors he has trained, as well various videos from AMOK!, Felix, Valencia (excellent), Ron Balicki & Diana Lee Inosanto, ColdSteel, Gabe Suarez/Marc "Craft Dog" Denny, etc...

AMOK! focuses on knife defense and knife counters to attacks.

The "Die Less Often" video from Suarez and Denny is superb.

We finally have a regular AMOK! and Combatives group meeting each week in Austin so we are getting to train regularly now.

--
HerbM
Finally got around to poking my head in...
I've been working in Amok! for almost a year, though I've been reading and watching Gabe, Tom and Crafty's material for at least 5 years when I can get hands on it. The fact that Central Tx has such a huge number of combatives guys like Steve and Gus in Kileen, you and the others in Austin- I'm hugely grateful for the ability to train and expose myself to new arts and ways of thinking!

Latest Discussions