When visiting another school ...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How do you conduct yourself in regards to the instructor? Do you address that individual in the same manner as you address your instructor, e.g. "Ma'am" or "Sir" or "Mr. Smith"?

Do you bow when you enter another studio?

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I observe the etiquette of the school i am visiting.
For awhile, i was taking private lessons at two schools: one school was very relaxed with little bowing and you called the instructor by their first name, and the next day i would visit the other school which was very traditional and formal. I have no problem adjusting.
The end result was that I was able to take more knowledge back to my own school to teach my students.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just try to follow basic polite and respectful ettiquette. I don't feel any obligation to bow or address people by title, until I have decided to join the group. Until then, common courtesy is enough.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have visited many schools across Canada, the US and europe. Generally, I just point blank ask the instructor what level of ettiquette they observe. I have been to BJJ schools where everyone just basically calls everyone else 'dude' and others where the pecking order and hierarchy was strictly maintained. Same with karate and other style schools I have visited. They have run the gamut of super traditional to very, very relaxed.

Not once did I ever get a funny reaction when I enquired as to the level of ettiquette. Everyone seemed to appreciate it that I was hoping to avoid any awkwardness or any possible faux pas. I have always found I get the most out of my visits when I try to blend in, rather than looking for the differences.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
until i get the chance to ask, i'm extremely formal and polite -- moreso than at my own school or with my own instructor (we're a fairly informal bunch). once i have a chance to chat with the instructors, i follow their guidelines.

best to err on the side of politeness, i figure.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:
until i get the chance to ask, i'm extremely formal and polite -- moreso than at my own school or with my own instructor (we're a fairly informal bunch). once i have a chance to chat with the instructors, i follow their guidelines.

Same here for the most part.

Jeff

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I always obey the rules of the dojang and yes I always say yes sir or ma'm or Master or Sifu or Grand Master, respect is always given.
Terry

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bushidomartialarts said:

I am with you on this.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
I always obey the rules of the dojang and yes I always say yes sir or ma'm or Master or Sifu or Grand Master, respect is always given.
Terry

I agree. It's easier to step down the formality than trying to win back respect from being *too* informal.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When in Rome...

It never hurts, though, to err on the side of caution, as the others have stated. Someone who doesn't like to be addressed by titles, and then gets addressed as Sensei (insert name), won't be offended, compared to someone who insists on strict use of titles, and is called by his first name.

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
Pretty much just do like the romans. I also try to not wear a Gi or anything. Its just a little rude to do that in some places. I wore a black one while I was doing Silat and unless I felt like standing out in a crowd of white gi's i just did the rex kwon do gi instead.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
In the beginning I use the ettiquette that has been taught to me in my system. I will then observe how things are done and adapt from there. All in all I think it is pretty similar.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Growing up means learning the proper things to do in life.

Here this means alway be respecting the local ways, if people bow, it may be a good idea to bow to. In our school between students,two ways..shake hands or the Kempo bow (in class).

Any new school you visit, most of the time they(new place) will understand if you did/do not bow or shakehands or whatever.... How ever ,as the old saying goes "when in Rome do what the Romans do"

Again you will have to choose what is appropriate for you at the time...no one is perfect. ...............Aloha

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think its best to er on the side of too formal. That way the instructor can say, "We're a bit more relaxed here." But if they're more formal, the instructor may take informality as a sign of disrespect. JMO

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I usually bow, and say sir or mam. I've visited some that aren't particular, and some that are. It's better to be "safe" than "sorry", as the saying goes. Only thing is, I don't think you'd be sorry if you didn't do something just right... Chances are, they know it's your first time there. I'm in such a habit now, I catch myself wanting to say "yes mam/ sir" a lot.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
tkdgirl said:
I'm in such a habit now, I catch myself wanting to say "yes mam/ sir" a lot.

Me too. I end up saying it quite a bit, too. I think once it slips in to one's speech, it sounds natural and not "put on".

I bow in to/out of the school, on/off the mat. I use sir or ma'am and use honorific titles (Mr./Mrs./Ms.) If instructed to do otherwise, I probably would do otherwise...but I haven't run in to that.

I also make sure I bring a plain gi and shirt (no patches or markings) to wear.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend to err (if, indeed, it is an error) on the side of courtesy and formality. I have been asked to be less formal, but never more formal - and I have never, that I am aware of, offended anyone by being formal (insincere courtesy is another issue altogether).

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tend to call all adult black belts Sensei if I do not know them. I do bow going into others dojo's I feel it is just a sign mutual respect.

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
I always bow when entering a school and call instructors sir and ma'am until told otherwise....It is how my first school was and it seems easiest to err on the side of respect and courtesy....

Latest Discussions