Anyone else look at things and think...Hmm nice weapon?

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm talking like your rolling down the street and see people with umbrella's and think, "Damn with that kinda metal point and hook it would be a wicked cane with a nice metal smack point." Or You see a sign or post or construction sign thing and start thinking of cool Jackie Chan style crap to do with it. :D Am I alone or in good company?

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I really enjoy these games in hardware stores. I've had a soft spot in my heart for axes and hammers ever since I was a kid.

But in my daily environment not so much. If faced with a violent confrontation, I'm much more likely to grab the thing closest to me than try to go for anything in particular. Just about everything is a weapon, if applied with the proper vigor.

I will say that it's fun excercise, good for building environmental awareness, and useful to think, "Ok, now what would I do with THIS?"

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, but I have passed the occasional moving land mass on two legs and thought "I wouldn't mess with that guy for NUTHIN'!"

Does that count?

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just took a look at my desk and found:
- stabby items (a plastic fork from lunch, pens, pencils)
- whippy items (an old cable, mouse and cord)
- striking items (my keyboard, mug)
- throwing items (empty pop can, tupperware from my lunch, my chair)

Drat, my office should be condemned as a hazardous armoury or something. These geeks are dangerous! I'll sue! ;)

lenatoi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I must admit that I do the same occasionally. No where near as much as my husband though. We were looking at rock climbing shoes, and he picked one up and began to tell me all the different ways he could use it.

Gee-whiz!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Before I knew anything about what really went into a good weapon, I would always look at various 1" thick dowel rods, broomsticks, axe handles, etc., at the hardware store, and think of making them into various weapons, such as jo, bokken, etc.

Once I learned about the various kinds of ideal wood used in martial arts weapons, that's when suddenly those fir, oak, or maple sticks of wood didn't look so appealling anymore.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not anymore. The novelty for me has worn off, so to speak. I've come to realize that everything that can be picked up can be a weapon. An item's relative shape, size, and weight will determine how it can be effectively wielded.

It's all the same.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The pair of scissors on my desk were the most interesting, because once I picked them up I found two good, secure holds. I turned them around a few times, found a good reverse grip.

Thinking about it a bit more, I generalized the rule. This applies to closed scissors of a good size. Grab them by the handle. Forward or reverse grip doesn't matter, the idea is to get the weapon in play, so go with whatever you pick up. Doesn't matter if you get the thumb hole in the palm of your hand or the larger hole. You want your fingers in the far hole, as many fingers as fit in the hole comfortably, and you want the excess fingers to be on the side opposite the blade. This is especially important if you don't quite get all the fingers in that will fit because fingers on the back end are still going to provide support on a stab and you don't want to break your fingers while defending your life.

However, I still think the keyboard and chair are probably my first choices. They're what I'm already touching so they're the closest tools.

What do you think of my analysis of scissors? Does it work with your pair? What have you got on your desk?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mcura said:
I just took a look at my desk and found:
- stabby items (a plastic fork from lunch, pens, pencils)
- whippy items (an old cable, mouse and cord)
- striking items (my keyboard, mug)
- throwing items (empty pop can, tupperware from my lunch, my chair)

Drat, my office should be condemned as a hazardous armoury or something. These geeks are dangerous! I'll sue! ;)

Does that mean you'd never make it past airport security with what's on your desk?:) You're a dangerous person!

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
Who, li'l ol' me? Naaah. Dangerous is the tiny asian man walking down the street with a crowbar.

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
rutherford said:
I really enjoy these games in hardware stores. I've had a soft spot in my heart for axes and hammers ever since I was a kid.

But in my daily environment not so much. If faced with a violent confrontation, I'm much more likely to grab the thing closest to me than try to go for anything in particular. Just about everything is a weapon, if applied with the proper vigor.

I will say that it's fun excercise, good for building environmental awareness, and useful to think, "Ok, now what would I do with THIS?"

Man, I thought that I was the only one! I guess I'm not so weird afterall!
I have always had a draw to shovels and pitchforks. Maybe I was a farmer in a prior life. Who knows? But anyway. A solid steel antenna makes a great whip. Just rip one of the nearest parked car, and swing away!
The tip will cut the skin easily.

HKF

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think of weapons much, but I do see people walking down the street and think about the best way to hit them... weak spots, good angles, etc.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Beau, you're not alone in your thinking. I do it too, almost constantly, and automatically. My friend does too, he's a marine, but, did it before enlisting. Looking at everything from construction materials to car antennas seems plausible, when you really get into it.

Latest Discussions