When training someone ...

Aikicomp

Purple Belt
Reaction score
yeah the kid is hungry ! he also comes from a low income household he lives with his moms that barely makes ends meet , mother and father are divorced hes been trying to take some kind of self defense course but his parents just cant afford it - hes 14 going on 15 at first i didnt really want to train anyone but something told me to help this kid out before he goes into gangs or drugs route ' plus i could give em advice about life and whats really out there since i come from the same background that he does - i always let him know that im doing this for free and nowhere is he gonna get instructed in a art for free so to dont be wasting his time or mine if he aint real about this and the guys been on it - he even gots his lil brother 11 going on 12 intrested ...

Sounds to me he has a good teacher with his head and heart in the right place. It also sounds like you have a good student with his head and heart in the right place. Testing him seems like the thing to do, even if it's not perfect he seems like he will continue to train and any mistakes he makes will be worked on again anyway. Passing a test is very important to a student who wants to learn (as we all know) and can make a big difference to him.

tomshem

White Belt
Reaction score
..some quick feed back on this matter thanks !

What I do is to always have someone else look at my students... As teachers, we tend to have blindspots... Another pair of eyes sure helps...

We call it a practice test... or a progress check... :)

Cheers

OP
suicide

suicide

Black Belt
Reaction score
i went out and bought the orange belt after reading all your comments - im a keep hidden till the time is right - this weekend im a give him a pre test and do some toe to toe blow for blow combat with him of course i wont go 100% with him sparring - but that way he could get over his fear of defending himeself against a bigger person than him - i try to give em as much street insight that i can with out getting him panic´d but he pretty much understands that in the real world aint no rules , so if he could avoid a confrontation he should but if theres no way to get around it then he should handle it - i did his yellow belt test in a park i think ima do his orange belt test on the beach and try to switch locations for all his test - peace.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
suicide,
I think what you are doing is great. I was 12 when I started training. My dad walked out on my mom, me and my sisters. When I was 9 it killed me and I started getting into trouble. My mom worked full time and went back to collage to get a 2 year degree. She raise me and my little sister on 12,000 a year. back in the 80's we lived in a houseing place.
she got me into martial arts and worked out a payment plan with the teacher. after a few months of classes the teach saw I loved it and cut my payments to help out my mom. I had to clean the dojo and help out around my house and what not. I really feel that helped me out big time now that i look back on things. I now have my own Dojo and help out many other kids and adults as a way to give back for what I got. I also work with special needs kids. So what you are doing can and will have a big affect on the kid or kids you will train. GOOD FOR YOU, I also what to say thank you for taking the time to help out people and kids who just want it and can't aford it. My hat off to you SR.

The only thing I would do is stop telling him you are teaching him for FREE.
Only because it could maybe make him feel that you don't care about him or the training as it is free. Just my 2 cents.

Kosho

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
suicide,
I think what you are doing is great. I was 12 when I started training. My dad walked out on my mom, me and my sisters. When I was 9 it killed me and I started getting into trouble. My mom worked full time and went back to collage to get a 2 year degree. She raise me and my little sister on 12,000 a year. back in the 80's we lived in a houseing place.
she got me into martial arts and worked out a payment plan with the teacher. after a few months of classes the teach saw I loved it and cut my payments to help out my mom. I had to clean the dojo and help out around my house and what not. I really feel that helped me out big time now that i look back on things. I now have my own Dojo and help out many other kids and adults as a way to give back for what I got. I also work with special needs kids. So what you are doing can and will have a big affect on the kid or kids you will train. GOOD FOR YOU, I also what to say thank you for taking the time to help out people and kids who just want it and can't aford it. My hat off to you SR.

The only thing I would do is stop telling him you are teaching him for FREE.
Only because it could maybe make him feel that you don't care about him or the training as it is free. Just my 2 cents.

Kosho

And you turned in to one helluva teacher, Sensei Bonk. :asian:

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Carol,
Thank you for the kind words. When you get a chance you are weclome to drop in my Dojo any time just check with your Teacher first.
As he is always welcome to my Dojo to share his vast info:

Kosho

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Carol,
Thank you for the kind words. When you get a chance you are weclome to drop in my Dojo any time just check with your Teacher first.
As he is always welcome to my Dojo to share his vast info:

Kosho

Very much appreciated sir, I will be sure to let him know. :asian: I'm moving about 20 miles west of where I am now so I've gotta get myself schlepped over to the new place. Once I move in though...love to come out and see you all.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
i ve been training some kid in kenpo that bugged me for about six months to show em some self defense and he gots everything he needs to past a orange belt test but its only been 2 months - is that to soon to test him or should i make him wait for a minute - he learned everything quick because its only him and because hes the only person i train he writes everything down hits hard and moves quick and shows me hes focused - i dont have a school we work out in my backyard wensdays and saturdays and the rest of the week he trains at his home - to me he seems ready and you could tell hes very hungry for this knowledge - i know its on me with what i do with my student - i was just wondering if i could get some opinions from some of you more experienced teachers out there - some quick feed back on this matter thanks !
Two months shows a limited program. Make him work.
Sean

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If I may add to that Danjo, Green is the refining stage. From there on there's really not that much more material till you get to BB. This is the level where like Dan said "You own the material, not just remember the material", but this is also the level where you have to start thinking of adapting the the material. i.e. punch out 1 can also be used as a grab counter and you need to start understanding the pinians not just going thru the motions. I know just sitting down and looking at punchout 1, I came up with about 30 punchouts at all different angles from a single punchout.

What is punchout 1?

Respectfully,
Marlon

just2kicku

Black Belt
Reaction score
What is punchout 1?

Respectfully,
Marlon

It's the first punch counter against a right punch. I used it as an example tho it will vary from school to school. In our school foot movement is stressed in the first 6 punchouts. The dislocation or break of the elbow is secondary and trying to break the floating rib third.

In the beginning we teach by numbers, but by the time you get to green the numbers disappear. I know when I testd for black, my attackers just came at me. They were handed knives and clubs and I had to defend myself.

Thats what I meant by the rifining stage. By green the numbers shouldn't be in your head as it should be second nature by then. Adapting punchout counters as grab counters. using the same punch counters for a left punch, etc..

Hope this helps Marlon.
Joe