When Sanda beat Muay Thai

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Savate > everything else. It may not be the only art that offers full contact, but it is the only one with brightly-colored spandex jumpsuits.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Almost agree. it goes: everything else < Savate < Ameridote

At least until I create my martial art. I have everything perfect, down to a science. But the art will not be released to the general public until I can figure out the right name for it. I apologize to anyone who wants to learn my art within the next 20 years.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Savate > everything else. It may not be the only art that offers full contact, but it is the only one with brightly-colored spandex jumpsuits.
Spandex aside, Savate is definitely on my list of arts I’d like to train. It’s really hard to find in the States though.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
No one has ever said that....everyone knows these days that there's loads of styles that are effective. You aren't making a good case for not sounding bitter against Muay Thai.

Why do you need to point it out? If people think that then who cares? Sure you can discuss it but frankly making a video to prove that Sanda can beat Muay Thai...it's a bit pointless tbh
I concur.

I could take an absolute athletic beast that loves to fight but isn't trained, teach him tai chi, and set him against some skinny bookworm with a month of muay thai and when the the inevitable beating takes place say "look! Taiji is better than Muay Thai!"

But that wouldn't be a very honest assessment.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Spandex aside, Savate is definitely on my list of arts I’d like to train. It’s really hard to find in the States though.

I actually really, really enjoy watching Savate. And I fenced competitively for years, so jokes aside, I clearly don't have any actual aversion to stretchy fabrics.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've never heard a single person say that, and I'm betting you haven't either.
Same here. Sometimes I wonder what social circles does a person need to be in to hear these type of things.

I mean...a lot of people who train any art, say it's the best art. And they believe it, because if they didn't think the art was good, then they would train a different one.
Jow Ga rules everything else sucks donkey butt, lol. I think that's a healthy way of thinking so long as the person doesn't go overboard and feel the need of beating down everyone.

I always find it strange those who get into these type of arguments are always showcasing champion fighters., which doesn't prove anything about the system as much as it does about the fighter.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sanda and MT have different rule. You can get points in Sanda by throwing your opponent down. Do you get point from MT for that?

MT is a subset of Sanda,
Sanda is a subset of MMA.

MT (kick + punch) < Sanda (kick + punch + throw) < MMA (kick + punch + throw + ground game)

interesting way of looking but Muay Thai has throws too, but because it's a sport certain throws are illegal. You can't use a judo throw in a Muay Thai match.

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
What's the purpose of the fighting wear?

Like any other fight wear...to cover up your private parts?

It's arbitrary, but not more arbitrary than a karate gi or wrestling singlet.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Like already said - arts don't fight each other, people do.

All I can add is - don't get baited into the "MMA proves validity" mindset. What I mean is people will always say "if it is such a good art, how come we don't see it in MMA", when they do, I am not inclined to say "you do" OR try to find examples of it being used in MMA because, by doing so, I have concreted their stance that MMA is what determines whether or not an art is legit. I don't know if I am explainnex this correctly.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions