When recreational drugs are legal...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, as I've been pointing out, alcohol is legal here, the rules on licensing were relaxed and it's one hell of a mess. Do you honestly think it's going to be any different with drugs, make them legal and you will have aggressive advertising and marketing, the suppliers will have to do that to make money. People who become addicts will still commit crimes to get the money to buy drugs, they will still drive while intoxicated. For someone who waves your much vaunted freedom around it seems you are wanting to move more and more into Aldous Huxley's Brave New World, http://www.huxley.net/soma/somaquote.html

It may be your 'right' to take drugs but is a drugged up nation something we should encourage? Certainly get everyone on marijuana, makes the government's job easier surely! And you are the one with the conspiracy theories...you missed this one!

If you allow all recreational drugs then you have to allow steroids, blood doping and all the other drugs athletes and sports people use to cheat. Sport won't be worth watching.

this is getting painful. legalizing marijuana is not the same as mandating that everyone use marijuana.

And the last paragraphs is a classic slippery slope.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
this is getting painful. legalizing marijuana is not the same as mandating that everyone use marijuana.

She's not talking about "mandating" as much as she's touching on the subject of the inevitable drive for profit...which means advertising and trying to get as many people as possible to purchase your product.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you wanted to try anything you could do what has virtually been done here and decriminalise the possession of small amounts of marijuana for personal use. That means the little guy can use at home without fear of prosecution but you can still go for the traffickers. If the little guy drives under the influence or causes other trouble he gets busted for his behavior, not the drug.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you wanted to try anything you could do what has virtually been done here and decriminalise the possession of small amounts of marijuana for personal use. That means the little guy can use at home without fear of prosecution but you can still go for the traffickers. If the little guy drives under the influence or causes other trouble he gets busted for his behavior, not the drug.

This is probably a logical first step. Eventually, though, some method of distribution will have to get legalized. Maybe start with the seeds. Grow your own, but don't sell it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's what is done here, you get warnings for carrying small amounts for personal use in public, what you do in private is up to you.

Tgrace is correct I'm not mandating the use of it but making it an 'open' and free market will mean that people will be looking to sell it to make profits and that means more aggressive marketing.
I just found it amusing that Mala with his penchant for conspiracies is wanting the legal use of drugs and isn't seeing it as a government plot to keep the people down which you know it could well be lol, a whole country on marijuana letting the government get away with everything! I don't know how he missed that one!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You missed the irony I'm afraid. The last paragraph isn't a slippery slope either, athletes will demand, in any country that allows you to take any drug to want, to be able to take any drug they want, fairs fair after all.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's what is done here, you get warnings for carrying small amounts for personal use in public, what you do in private is up to you.

Tgrace is correct I'm not mandating the use of it but making it an 'open' and free market will mean that people will be looking to sell it to make profits and that means more aggressive marketing.
I just found it amusing that Mala with his penchant for conspiracies is wanting the legal use of drugs and isn't seeing it as a government plot to keep the people down which you know it could well be lol, a whole country on marijuana letting the government get away with everything! I don't know how he missed that one!

I'm hoping Congress gets high and stops being douchebags. It'll be positive side effect of legalization.

Dude, do you thinks the drone strikes are pissing people off?

Yeah man.

We better stop that ****, it's mean.

Fo shizzle my nizzle.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping Congress gets high and stops being douchebags. It'll be positive side effect of legalization.

Dude, do you thinks the drone strikes are pissing people off?

Yeah man.

We better stop that ****, it's mean.

Fo shizzle my nizzle.

How do you know they aren't high anyway?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
How do you know they aren't high anyway?

Because they are vicious *******s indicating they are alcoholics.

My recollection of getting high was I spent a good deal of time on introspection, feeling a keen empathy for how I might have hurt others and resolving to be a better person.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Did breaking the law ever enter into your "introspection"?

Before we get too judgemental here, think about how many laws you break during the course of a single day. If you go one mile over the speed limit, you are breaking the law. Does this mean you aren't a good person or aren't committed to being a better person?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Before we get too judgemental here, think about how many laws you break during the course of a single day. If you go one mile over the speed limit, you are breaking the law.

Comparing actively seeking out an illegal substance from a dealer in illegal substances to traffic infractions? Really?

A drug transaction is kind of like blowing a stop sign? Really?

Argue that making drugs illegal only fuels violence...but then go and contribute to that very system? Really?

Try harder.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Read up on a legal term called "mens rea".

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Speeding has the potential kill another person. Smoking a joint on your couch isn't hurting anyone. Speeding is potentially more serious of a problem to society.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Comparing actively seeking out an illegal substance from a dealer in illegal substances to traffic infractions? Really?

A drug transaction is kind of like blowing a stop sign? Really?

Argue that making drugs illegal only fuels violence...but then go and contribute to that very system? Really?

Try harder.

Agreed. A very simple and concise rationale for decriminalizing weed. Im surprised it's coming from you, though, Tgace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Speeding has the potential kill another person. Smoking a joint on your couch isn't hurting anyone. Speeding is potentially more serious of a problem to society.

And if I catch you I stop you and ticket you. If you are speeding significantly enough I may even arrest you for reckless endangerment. If you know its wrong don't bemoan the results when you are caught....or try to rationalize it with "its not like I murdered someone"....or "we all break the law".

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed. A very simple and concise rationale for decriminalizing weed. Im surprised it's coming from you, though, Tgace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Or a good explination of why I arrest weed smokers. I know its illegal and so do you. If its legal tomorrow than fine....but today spare me the crying about "why me".

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Or a good explination of why I arrest weed smokers. I know its illegal and so do you. If its legal tomorrow than fine....but today spare me the crying about "why me".

Isn't this a "just following orders" mentality? If a law is unjust or useless, the single best form of civil disobedience is when cops ignore it.

Latest Discussions