When do you bow? Why do you bow?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
We bow when we enter the dojang and when we leave (to show respect for the area in which we train). We also line up at the start of class in order of rank and the highest ranking student (6th dan in my class), says (phoentically), "chariot goonyeah" and we all bow to the instructor to basically say "thank you for taking the class", the class ends the same way. Anytime the GM enters the room, we stop what we are doing instantly and bow, and before grading evrybody bows to the GM. Other than that we do not bow except for if we pass a dan grading our GM hands us the certificate and we bow to him and shake his hand korean style (where the hand you are not shaking with grips the wrist of the shaking hand, if that makes any sense). Upon receiving both my black belt and my 1st dan, I also turned to my instructor and bowed in his direction after bowing to the GM, most people dont do this but I did it as a sign of respect to my week in/week out instructor who trained me to that level.

Last edited:

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
In your Taekwondo school, when do you bow and why do you bow?

We bow as a mark of respect and friendly greeting in the culture of the art we do.

We bow when entering the training hall if a senior grade is there (generally aimed at the most senior in the room). We don't bow to them if we first see them not in the training hall (e.g. in the changing room or lobby). We bow at the start of class to the instructor (called by the most senior student) and we bow at the end of the class to the instructor then the most senior student.

If someone senior to the current instructor enters the room we all are called to a stop and bow to that person.

We bow to our partner before/after drills, but only when changing partners - what I mean is that if you're with the same person for the whole class you'll bow to them once at the start and once at the end, not between each drill. If you change partners after each drill you bow at the start and end of each drill to each partner. *

Like Ralph we also bow the same to the examiner after gradings (although we tend to shake hands with the left hand palm down under the right elbow rather than the wrist, the same way we receive something from any senior, e.g. a paddle).

* I'm particularly anal about this! On occasions when students forget or are "away with the fairies" while everyone else is bowing I take that opportunity to remind everyone that their training partner is putting themselves at risk (of injury) to help them learn/practice and the least we can do is give them a friendly bow as a non-verbal thank you before and afterwards. It's a particular bugbear of mine (as is bowing and trying to keep your eyes on your opponent, Bruce Lee really did put some silly thoughts in people's heads with that one). If students want to quickly shake hands/bump fists after a drill/sparring round I'm OK with that, but anything done like that is in addition to the bow.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Do you salute or bow to any type of national flags, etc?

I wouldn't salute them (because I'm not military and we just don't do that in the UK). I would probably bow to them (if they were the Union Flag or Taegeukgi, not likely to bow to other countries' flags unless in their country), but we don't have any hanging at our hall and haven't been to a hall that did in many years.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Do you salute or bow to any type of national flags, etc?
No, we dont have much to do with the flag generally. From memory, the korean flag is on grading cards, certificates and club embroided banner that hangs at demos and gradings and anything official. We never actually bow to the flag though.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't salute them (because I'm not military and we just don't do that in the UK). I would probably bow to them (if they were the Union Flag or Taegeukgi, not likely to bow to other countries' flags unless in their country), but we don't have any hanging at our hall and haven't been to a hall that did in many years.

Military here don't salute the flag, they will salute the 'Colours' though whatever they may be ie flag, drum, guns etc.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
We bow toward the Flags at the doorway when entering and leaving the training floor. We also salute the flag (Hand over the heart) as part of the class opening and closing. We bow to the instructor as part of class opening and closing, and to the Senior student at the closing. We bow to training partner during certain formal drills and before and after formal sparring matches.

The why is to show respect for the art, gym, country, and trasining partners.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Military here don't salute the flag, they will salute the 'Colours' though whatever they may be ie flag, drum, guns etc.

Just to be clear, when I said "I wouldn't salute them (because I'm not military and we just don't do that in the UK)" what I meant was that I wouldn't salute them because I'm not military and that UK civilians just don't do that as opposed to the US where they do a sort of salute (hand over the heart thing) even if they're not military personnel; not that the UK military don't do it. The "we" meant "UK civilians".

I don't know which way you took it, but when I re-read it with your reply I realised it could have come across either way.

In any case, thank you for the information.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True, we [American civilians] salute our flag on formal occasions by putting the right hand over the heart. This is the main reason why I don't particularly care for the practice of bowing to flags as a training ritual (in country).

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My dojang has the US and South Korea flags hanging in a place of honor, similar to the 'shomen' in Japanese styles. The custom when starting class is to bow first to the flags, then to any parents and family members that might be watching the class, then to the class instructor and to the yudanja. The same exercise in the same sequence is also performed at the end of class.

It is different from what I am used to, but I don't see a reason to alter the custom as a newcomer. I imagine it is a type of nod to the Hwarang-Do Meng Sae (sp?).

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We bow toward the Flags at the doorway when entering and leaving the training floor. We also salute the flag (Hand over the heart) as part of the class opening and closing. We bow to the instructor as part of class opening and closing, and to the Senior student at the closing. We bow to training partner during certain formal drills and before and after formal sparring matches.

The why is to show respect for the art, gym, country, and trasining partners.

That is exactly how we do it in our school. Just out of curiousity, in addition to bowing, does anyone else also recite school oaths or anything else of that nature before or after training?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I bow getting inside the dojang, just in front the offcie where a sambonims is, it could be my master or my master's wife (5th dan) and always poletilely I say Good evening! May I come in?, then I proced to bow to the mat where my master and my students are training and then again I ask permition, my master bows and then we shake hands, I get inside the locker room and change clothes, then when I am going to enter the mat I bow and ask permition to get in. We bow at the flags at the begining and at the end of the class. Everitime I get out or get in the mat I bow and aks permition.

Leaving the dojang I bow to the offcie and bow when closing the door.

Manny

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, when I said "I wouldn't salute them (because I'm not military and we just don't do that in the UK)" what I meant was that I wouldn't salute them because I'm not military and that UK civilians just don't do that as opposed to the US where they do a sort of salute (hand over the heart thing) even if they're not military personnel; not that the UK military don't do it. The "we" meant "UK civilians".

I don't know which way you took it, but when I re-read it with your reply I realised it could have come across either way.

In any case, thank you for the information.

I think in the UK a flag is just a piece of material with nice colours on, which is probably why we don't get miffed when people burn it etc. We use flags as decorations, clothing (a la Scary Spice's) dress, cushions, bags, well you name it we'll use it. We've put up flags in our dojo as we've moved into a new building given to us by the army which was condemned, it's ok but the walls need covering up until we can do it ourselves with plywood so we have a few flags up, we have the Brazilian, Japanese, Korean, Help for Heroes, Canadian ( 'borrowed' when Jock Guards went on exercise there) Scottish and a Union flag. We don't salute any of them though, just for decoration. If someone sends us an American flag it'll go up to lol!

I read your post as meaning civvies don't and the military does here!

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Thanks

In our dojang we bow to the flags and teacher before class; to the teacher and each other after class. Juniors are also encourage to bow to seniors after class, or if they meet them before class. This we do as a sign of respect and greeting. My feeling is that we should bow to people and not to objects, so I'm thinking of elimating the bowing to flags, which are behind the instructor position. The bowing to the flags, I've always thought, is not really a Korean martial arts custom, but one that many countries may have adopted and copied from militaries and other nations.

TKDinAK

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Thanks

During a normal class:

After lining up according to rank and stating the Pledge of Allegiance and the tenets, we bow to the instructor opening class.

If sparring, we bow to our partner at the beginning and at the end of the match.

At the end of class, after lining up, we bow to the highest ranking color belt, and then the highest ranking BB.

We always bow to the dojang whenever entering or exiting the training floor. We always pause to bow to and when a highest rank enters the training floor.

We also follow a more formal etiquette during tests and seminars and such... but my instructor is pretty loose and easy going for the most part, so he doesn't run his classes with a lot of real strict formality. I have noticed that the advanced classes, and the BB's, are held to a higher degree of formality.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

Another question. Do you think that Taekwondo has it's own type of bowing/saluting set of guidelines or do you feel Taekwondo has no set guidelines and just naturally follows Korean custom?
Based on what Ive seen, there was a hell of a lot more bowing when I did karate. We had to bow before aproaching a senior, bow once finished talking to them, bow at flags, we had to bow to every black belt who caught our eye etc, I nearly did a back injury from all the bowing. Tkd seems a lot more laid back, but thats just my experience.

masterchase

White Belt
Reaction score
we bow when we enter the dojang/training area.

At the beginning of class we bow to the flags (US & So. Korean), and then recite the chungdokwan oath.
and then Bow to the instructor.
Students then bow to the highest ranking student.

and then all through class as training partners change there is bowing.

and then at the end of class, bow to the flags, instructor and highest ranking student.... and then one more bow as we exit the training area.

Latest Discussions