When choosing tournaments.......

What tournaments interest you the most as a Kenpo stylist......

• Kenpo only

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Open

Votes: 37 58.7%
  • Tae Kwon Do

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Shotokan

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Chinese/Kung Fu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mixed MA

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • King of the Ring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Others

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What type of tournaments do you like to participate in as a Kenpo stylist?

Kenpo only
Open Tournaments
Tae Kwon Do
Shotokan
Kung Fu
Others

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Open tournaments.

I've done so many different types that I think open tournaments are the best kinds.

molson

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Ive only been to open and some tae kwon do and tang soo do tournaments. would be interesting to go to an all kenpo tourny.

R

RCastillo

Open tourneys are not much fun in that there are very few people down here who know, or undertsand what Kenpo is.

They act like we're aliens from another country, or something.:confused:

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I prefer open tournaments.

Look I like kenpo, alot, but I can remember judging a intermediate division at an all Kenpo tournament and thinking "oh good, Long 2..... again."

I like seeing other styles do forms, and I like fighting against different styles.

Lamont

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like open tournaments. I've done well with them. It is fun to see what other styles are there. I like to watch and learn what moves emphasized by other styles.

However, sometimes, doing forms can be tough because some kenpo forms are not as flashy as the forms from some other styles. I feel I have a better chance when one of the judges happen to be in Kenpo also.

I enjoy kumite. Some people try to do their simple point sparring; I find I have success when I incorporate quick short techs that eventually score me a point because my opponent wasn't expecting my counter-attacks.

- Ceicei

K

Kenpomachine

If going to freestyle or sparring, I'd rather go to an open tourney. If it's self defense techniques or forms, kenpo only. And by that, I mean kenpo, any kenpo. Thus, you can learn new things that applies well to what you already now, and get some ideas for your own work.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
OPEN!
More variety.
Better test of your fighting skills I think.
Besides, in Kansas... you go to what's open.
Not that much choice.
:rolleyes: :mad:
Your Bro.
John

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have found out that the type of tournament is very important. This is why. Unless you enter an open tournament where the judges are from all types of different forms of karate; it is hard to get a fair shake in anything other than your style of Martial Arts. The judges are going to be looking for katas and stances that they are familiar with, thus putting you at a disadvantage before you ever introduce yourself.

Thanks for listening to be B*((*%. I am not angry or anything, just because I pulled off one of the best Form 4s that I had ever done in a Hawaii tournament and didn't even place. The Only Judge that gave me good marks was Proffesor Emperado. He recognized that it was one of Mr. Parkers forms.

:soapbox:

OK I am off the box.
Thanks

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not much worse than having other system judges sit on the panel when they have no clue as to what you're performing Kenpo-wise.. when a TKD judge tells a student.. "You need to Hiss during your form" arghhhhhhhhh...

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Of course, you are going to lose if you do a Parker form in an open forms division or JKO division. Many tournaments (at least in California) have a separate Kenpo/Kajukenbo forms division. You might still see a lot of Long 4, but you'll also see Tiger & Crane and some Kajukenbo forms. The judges will have their preferences, but EPAK forms will be familiar and can be fairly judged.

Open tournament Kumite is often a little rougher than invitational torunament sparring. That has a downside if you are unprepared. It has an upside if you really want to test and improve your fighting.

The most important thing is the promoter and how they run the tournament. Are the rules clear? Are people following the rules? Are the judges impartial?

J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by KenpoTess
Not much worse than having other system judges sit on the panel when they have no clue as to what you're performing Kenpo-wise.. when a TKD judge tells a student.. "You need to Hiss during your form" arghhhhhhhhh...

I double that ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH!

INDYFIGHTER

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I recently did a PKC tournament and felt as if I may have been judged a little unfairly but do you think if I keep going and become a more familar face they will start scoring me better or am I waisting my money?

Ceicei said:
I like open tournaments. I've done well with them. It is fun to see what other styles are there. I like to watch and learn what moves emphasized by other styles.

However, sometimes, doing forms can be tough because some kenpo forms are not as flashy as the forms from some other styles. I feel I have a better chance when one of the judges happen to be in Kenpo also.

I enjoy kumite. Some people try to do their simple point sparring; I find I have success when I incorporate quick short techs that eventually score me a point because my opponent wasn't expecting my counter-attacks.

- Ceicei

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
INDYFIGHTER said:
I recently did a PKC tournament and felt as if I may have been judged a little unfairly but do you think if I keep going and become a more familar face they will start scoring me better or am I waisting my money?

Gaining experience is never a waste of money. However, you must understand that tournaments are a game, and as such it is a very...VERY "subjective" event. You must first gain skill to be able to compete i.e., have a strong set of basics, learn the rules, know what different judges look for, prepare and be able to feel comfortable in front of crowds, understand that not always the best man/woman wins... on any given day! In front of one set of judges your form or sparring match would have your opponent the winner.... on another day or in another state with a completely different set of judges.... you may be the winner. The goal is to be a consistent winner no matter where you go. That is no easy task. First it takes experience... which is what you are gaining now. So keep at it until you have logged 20 or 30 tournaments, then you will know the answer to your own question.

:asian:

R

RCastillo

Not only that, I'll bet the Goldendragons tourneys are rigged! :argue:

G

Gary Crawford

I prefere open,but as many teakwondo tournaments I have couched at,I would never enter an open TDK tournament,the rules don't work for other styles.

Latest Discussions