What's your favourite range? And why?

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Pure striking, I still tend to like the approach. I seem to do best when I draw people into entering. I think it's because I like to enter and am not as fast (explosive) as I'd like to be, so I borrow some speed from their entry.
I also favor using the opponents entry because it's like a head on collision when they run in to the strike.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
And my primary art is an aiki art, so it just feels right to have them bring some of what I need.
No No No you are suppose to hug and talk it out with your opponent if your primary art is aiki. LOL just messing I've been taking Tenshin Aikido for the past 4 years after relocating and not being able to find a Kung Fu instructor I wanted to learn from.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Negative range, when I strike my opponent so hard my fist goes through their body and comes out the other side.

JK, conventional punching range

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No No No you are suppose to hug and talk it out with your opponent if your primary art is aiki. LOL just messing I've been taking Tenshin Aikido for the past 4 years after relocating and not being able to find a Kung Fu instructor I wanted to learn from.

Oh, I’ll hug him, all right. Much easier to do a takedown from there. :angelic:

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Oh, I’ll hug him, all right. Much easier to do a takedown from there. :angelic:
Yes the clinch is a much easier way to get a lock or throw compared to plucking a punch out of the air like Mr miagi plucking flies out if the air in karate kid.

Personally I use my Aikido and Judo techniques in the clinch and grappling range but will say that the footwork and deflections have added quite a bit flavor to my outside striking range.

TMA17

Black Belt
Reaction score
Being I don't have trapping or ground skills, I prefer to keep my range in the striking distance. I like to use the jab and move in/out of the pocket quick. Getting any closer is a risk for me as I could be taken down easily. One of the things I want to learn this year is how to get out of various choke holds and learn some basic ground skills to help avoid being taken down and also how to get up as fast as possible.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like fighting in close, but my favorite range is just out of his reach. That's the dream scenario. Because my best skill is closing distance. I've found that most folks flinch when you close quickly. I like working off the flinch.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never want to be in close range why would I want an attacker anywhere near me I want them as far away as possible

It is all the rage for a lot of street styles. Because they can employ head butts knees and elbows.

I have been in to many meat grinder fights to think it is cool to get in close and use my mad skillz.

There is this idea in fighting that people forget that all these really dangerous techniques can also be thrown by the other guy.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The clinch range can be all strikers nightmare.

clinch.png

IvanTheBrick

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm posting this in the JKD forum as I know JKD includes fighting within all four standing ranges, although it's not exclusively a JKD-esque question.

For those who might not know: there are typically four known ranges from what I can tell; kicking, striking, trapping (Often used in Wing Chun, JKD and even Krav Maga, like an inbetween of Striking and Grappling where contact is minimal but is always present still) and grappling (Can be groundwork, but also standup such as sweeps and throws).

My favourite Is trapping, trapping is, what I view, as the GJJ (Gracie Jiu Jutsu) of standup, I often hear it's like dropping someone into the sea that can't swim when the opponent is inexperienced with this range, which most pub scrappers usually are. It encourages fast hands and fluidity and increases reflexes, both with sight and touch. Trapping also acts as a gateway into other ranges, enabling the fighter to flow between striking and a clinch perhaps. One thing with trapping that many people find hard is the continuation. Now continuation is key, never freezing up or letting down your guard. A good rule I like to use is one I use with locks: If I miss a lock (or trap for this matter), I simply hit them straight, as hitting always works. Perhaps I'm wrong but my idol, Bruce Lee, said; "Always think hit" so if things go wrong the first thing i should be doing is hitting. Also simply hitting someone without anything too complicated keeps things simple, which is what JKD is meant to be right? Fighting in it's simplest form.

Anyway, I sort of strayed from my point and rambled loads haha! I can't wait to hear other people's opinions too!
I do a lot of striking, and I find it troublesome to go all in and trade blows. I have long reach so I usually use my jabs to keep people away and I just try to target specific points in the body from there. This is especially effective against people with shorter range as they will always try to get in real close and trade body shots and uppercuts.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And my primary art is an aiki art, so it just feels right to have them bring some of what I need.

I am learning to fight like an old man these days. All pressure and gravity.

When I think aiki. I think scramble. Which i Generally cant win.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am learning to fight like an old man these days. All pressure and gravity.

When I think aiki. I think scramble. Which i Generally cant win.

I have a hard time translating what most folks seem to define as aiki into ground work. The easy flow you see (with patience and less effort) in really good BJJ (like watching Rickson against a white belt) is what I think of as "ground aiki". It's a bit too patient, really, for defense. It works really well if someone is determined to grab you and do something grappling-y, but not so well when they decide to hit (assuming they are any good at that). Some of the same issue I have with trying to focus too much on aiki for defensive use. As a principle, it's useful - but if it's the focus of your training, you're going to have some big gaps.

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm posting this in the JKD forum as I know JKD includes fighting within all four standing ranges, although it's not exclusively a JKD-esque question.

For those who might not know: there are typically four known ranges from what I can tell; kicking, striking, trapping (Often used in Wing Chun, JKD and even Krav Maga, like an inbetween of Striking and Grappling where contact is minimal but is always present still) and grappling (Can be groundwork, but also standup such as sweeps and throws).

My favourite Is trapping, trapping is, what I view, as the GJJ (Gracie Jiu Jutsu) of standup, I often hear it's like dropping someone into the sea that can't swim when the opponent is inexperienced with this range, which most pub scrappers usually are. It encourages fast hands and fluidity and increases reflexes, both with sight and touch. Trapping also acts as a gateway into other ranges, enabling the fighter to flow between striking and a clinch perhaps. One thing with trapping that many people find hard is the continuation. Now continuation is key, never freezing up or letting down your guard. A good rule I like to use is one I use with locks: If I miss a lock (or trap for this matter), I simply hit them straight, as hitting always works. Perhaps I'm wrong but my idol, Bruce Lee, said; "Always think hit" so if things go wrong the first thing i should be doing is hitting. Also simply hitting someone without anything too complicated keeps things simple, which is what JKD is meant to be right? Fighting in it's simplest form.

Anyway, I sort of strayed from my point and rambled loads haha! I can't wait to hear other people's opinions too!
The closer the better, or, using your terminology trapping or grappling. I am extremely short (5 ft even), stocky, with short arms and legs. Anything outside trapping range puts me in striking range for others, and outside of the striking range for me. Since I am a terrible runner and can't just dodge them forever, I do my best to get in up close and personal. It's good psychological warfare too - people don't expect something like this from someone who looks like me.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't like to think of the ranges as kicking, striking, trapping, and grappling as they can overlap and each range is not strictly restricted to the techniques that the range is named by. For instance, its possible to use strikes while in grappling range. Instead I like to think of it like this. The longest range is "out of range" in which your opponent is too far away to hit with any techniques, next is "long range" where you can hit your opponent with kicks, then "mid range" where you can use hand strikes, and finally "close range" where you can use elbows and knees and where you would grapple with your opponent. This would also include ground fighting, where you're both rolling on the ground. I don't really have a favorite range I think its important to be able to fight at all ranges and to be able to control the ranges for maximum effectiveness.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like to think of the ranges as kicking, striking, trapping, and grappling as they can overlap and each range is not strictly restricted to the techniques that the range is named by. For instance, its possible to use strikes while in grappling range. Instead I like to think of it like this. The longest range is "out of range" in which your opponent is too far away to hit with any techniques, next is "long range" where you can hit your opponent with kicks, then "mid range" where you can use hand strikes, and finally "close range" where you can use elbows and knees and where you would grapple with your opponent. This would also include ground fighting, where you're both rolling on the ground. I don't really have a favorite range I think its important to be able to fight at all ranges and to be able to control the ranges for maximum effectiveness.
I tend to refer to the ranges as:
  • out there (out of range)
  • kicking distance (full-range kick)
  • hand/wrist (in line with the wrist)
  • elbow (in line with the elbow)
  • shoulder (loosely at the shoulder)
  • "right there" (a.k.a. "kissing distance" and when behind the shoulder "creepy kissing distance").

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the reality of fighting having a favorite anything can be dangerous.
Distance will be predicated by what weapon/s are involved.
I like to use the proper distance (range) for the tool/s utilized.

That said my favorites:
Tactical Shooting Range. Because I have a lot of fun doing tactical shooting.
Tactical range.jpg

Cooking. This one in particular because is fits well in our kitchen and my wife & I both enjoy eating well cooked meals.
Smeg range.jpg

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

That said my favorites:
View attachment 21465

Cooking. This one in particular because is fits well in our kitchen and my wife & I both enjoy eating well cooked meals.
View attachment 21466
I WANT that range. Six burners. That is sexy.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That said my favorites:
View attachment 21465

View attachment 21466
Just don't get the two confused.

Latest Discussions