What's your favourite range? And why?

FireBreathingBeast

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm posting this in the JKD forum as I know JKD includes fighting within all four standing ranges, although it's not exclusively a JKD-esque question.

For those who might not know: there are typically four known ranges from what I can tell; kicking, striking, trapping (Often used in Wing Chun, JKD and even Krav Maga, like an inbetween of Striking and Grappling where contact is minimal but is always present still) and grappling (Can be groundwork, but also standup such as sweeps and throws).

My favourite Is trapping, trapping is, what I view, as the GJJ (Gracie Jiu Jutsu) of standup, I often hear it's like dropping someone into the sea that can't swim when the opponent is inexperienced with this range, which most pub scrappers usually are. It encourages fast hands and fluidity and increases reflexes, both with sight and touch. Trapping also acts as a gateway into other ranges, enabling the fighter to flow between striking and a clinch perhaps. One thing with trapping that many people find hard is the continuation. Now continuation is key, never freezing up or letting down your guard. A good rule I like to use is one I use with locks: If I miss a lock (or trap for this matter), I simply hit them straight, as hitting always works. Perhaps I'm wrong but my idol, Bruce Lee, said; "Always think hit" so if things go wrong the first thing i should be doing is hitting. Also simply hitting someone without anything too complicated keeps things simple, which is what JKD is meant to be right? Fighting in it's simplest form.

Anyway, I sort of strayed from my point and rambled loads haha! I can't wait to hear other people's opinions too!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm posting this in the JKD forum as I know JKD includes fighting within all four standing ranges, although it's not exclusively a JKD-esque question.

For those who might not know: there are typically four known ranges from what I can tell; kicking, striking, trapping (Often used in Wing Chun, JKD and even Krav Maga, like an inbetween of Striking and Grappling where contact is minimal but is always present still) and grappling (Can be groundwork, but also standup such as sweeps and throws).

My favourite Is trapping, trapping is, what I view, as the GJJ (Gracie Jiu Jutsu) of standup, I often hear it's like dropping someone into the sea that can't swim when the opponent is inexperienced with this range, which most pub scrappers usually are. It encourages fast hands and fluidity and increases reflexes, both with sight and touch. Trapping also acts as a gateway into other ranges, enabling the fighter to flow between striking and a clinch perhaps. One thing with trapping that many people find hard is the continuation. Now continuation is key, never freezing up or letting down your guard. A good rule I like to use is one I use with locks: If I miss a lock (or trap for this matter), I simply hit them straight, as hitting always works. Perhaps I'm wrong but my idol, Bruce Lee, said; "Always think hit" so if things go wrong the first thing i should be doing is hitting. Also simply hitting someone without anything too complicated keeps things simple, which is what JKD is meant to be right? Fighting in it's simplest form.

Anyway, I sort of strayed from my point and rambled loads haha! I can't wait to hear other people's opinions too!
My favourite range is about 2miles away

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score

Trapping range is a bit problematic, as it is also punching range.

OP
FireBreathingBeast

FireBreathingBeast

White Belt
Reaction score
My favourite range is about 2miles away
Lol my instructor used to always say: "...You have a few options here, strike, lock or even just run away, in which case your the best self defense artist in the world"

A fight that your not in, is a fight won

OP
FireBreathingBeast

FireBreathingBeast

White Belt
Reaction score
Trapping range is a bit problematic, as it is also punching range.
Hmm, that's right. Although trapping retains constant contact and can also feature lowline traps and knees. Although I think it'd take an artist more experienced than myself to argue that point. But good thinking on that! Something I obviously didn't take into account, cheers bud!

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never want to be in close range why would I want an attacker anywhere near me I want them as far away as possible

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score

i prefer in close fighting. i would not call trapping range "stand up BJJ" your to far away , there is really no functional difference between punching range and trapping range. if you want to be BJJ close you need to have chest to chest contact or have your head on his shoulder. yes you can stand up fight from there.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
As per the op. Sparring I like to be just outside the pocket, as Ive got long *** monkey arms and can outrange most people with my hands (assuming my footwork is on point).

In a street fight I tend to gravitate towards the clinch because it's lower risk and my throws are decent.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’m on the short side - 5’8”. My arms and legs are shorter than most people I spar with. My most effective range is inside. Close enough to knee and elbow without much movement, and close enough to grab. It’s effective for me because most people I spar with can’t generate enough power while I’m that close, and I’m too close to effectively kick.

If they want to grab me and grapple, I’m quite comfortable with that due to my wrestling experience too.

I stay there because I’m not fast enough to stay outside and close the distance quick enough to really do everything I want to do. I’m too heavy-footed to dart in and out.

The biggest problem with that range is I have to stay very busy the entire time I’m there. And against a very big guy, he’ll make me carry his weight if he knows what he’s doing.

In an actual fight that typically lasts less than a minute, staying busy in that range isn’t a problem. It is in sparring and competitive fighting. Carrying someone’s weight is a problem in both instances though.

What do you call that range? No idea.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It varies by situation. When striking, my favorite range is just outside their primary punching range (to force them to enter). If they have long kicks, this can draw more kicks.

If they seem comfortable striking, I want to be RIGHT THERE - up close and personal in clinch/grappling range (grappling can be done from trapping range, and even further out).

In general, I prefer the transitions between ranges. I like changing the range, to control the range.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My favorite range is the one that gives my opponent the most trouble. My rule is to fight where I'm strong and where my opponent is weak. Which makes it difficult to have a favorite range. I do however have a favorite technique for each range.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
have your head on his shoulder.
To have your opponent's head on your chest can be the best fighting distance. If you can bend his spine side way, you can take him down with very less effort.

Chang_head_lock.jpg

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Close range, in training. (Miles away, in real life.)

Because I have more options (striking, grappling, takedowns, "dirty moves"...) and more control over the opponent, especially against strikers that prefer some more space. Grapplers/wrestlers can be an issue, though.

I never learned trapping as teached in JKD or WC, but I trained so much in that range that I developed an equivalent skill (visible especially when against unskilled opponents :)).

Last edited:

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My rule is to fight where I'm strong and where my opponent is weak. Which makes it difficult to have a favorite range.
Well, it reminds me once when I had trouble against a big Thai boxer. Even not training grappling for a while, I only felt he was easy when and after using a non-Thai boxing takedown...

Back to the question, isn't there a range where you feel more confortable against most of the opponents?

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My most effective range is inside. Close enough to knee and elbow without much movement, and close enough to grab. It’s effective for me because most people I spar with can’t generate enough power while I’m that close, ...
The same here. Sorry about so much posts in a row. But I like this topic.

Sometimes I only keep my right hand inside their guard. Some guys, even the trained ones, just keep doing their thing after the first strike or expecting anything else than the same arm, and I only keep just adjusting the distance-position and keep striking with that hand (that is already there and thy can't see).

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It varies by situation. When striking, my favorite range is just outside their primary punching range (to force them to enter). If they have long kicks, this can draw more kicks.

If they seem comfortable striking, I want to be RIGHT THERE - up close and personal in clinch/grappling range (grappling can be done from trapping range, and even further out).

In general, I prefer the transitions between ranges. I like changing the range, to control the range.
Very well said gpseymour. I personally love being just out of opponents reach where I can land power long strikes but close enough to close the gap when the opportunity arises.
I love power strikes, knees, elbows, locks and throws.

The one range I dislike but still can play in is the inbetween clinch and long strike range only due to me being 6'2" tall and long limbed.

Now if we were taking about 100 percent boxing I would only be good at long range and would hate fighting a good inside game boxer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Also trapping is a concept not really a range and is not the easiest thing to do to a skilled a martial artist.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very well said gpseymour. I personally love being just out of opponents reach where I can land power long strikes but close enough to close the gap when the opportunity arises.
I love power strikes, knees, elbows, locks and throws.

The one range I dislike but still can play in is the inbetween clinch and long strike range only due to me being 6'2" tall and long limbed.

Now if we were taking about 100 percent boxing I would only be good at long range and would hate fighting a good inside game boxer.

Pure striking, I still tend to like the approach. I seem to do best when I draw people into entering. I think it's because I like to enter and am not as fast (explosive) as I'd like to be, so I borrow some speed from their entry.

Latest Discussions