What's you favorite quote or saying?

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The mind is as a parachute - keep it closed through the course of your jump and you will make a deep crater of yourself.

:D

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jenna said:
The mind is as a parachute - keep it closed through the course of your jump and you will make a deep crater of yourself.

On the topic of parachutes....

"You don't need a parachute to skydive. You need a parachute to skydive twice."

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ping898 said:
On the topic of parachutes....

"You don't need a parachute to skydive. You need a parachute to skydive twice."

I guess my background is gonna show through on this one...Keeping with the parachute theme...

"It doesn't matter how many sky dives you have. Until you've stepped out the door of an airplane in total darkness at twelve hundred and fifty feet weaing ninety-five pounds of equipment, and fourty-two pounds of parachute, YOU ARE STILL A LEG!"

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Henderson said:
I guess my background is gonna show through on this one...Keeping with the parachute theme...

"It doesn't matter how many sky dives you have. Until you've stepped out the door of an airplane in total darkness at twelve hundred and fifty feet weaing ninety-five pounds of equipment, and fourty-two pounds of parachute, YOU ARE STILL A LEG!"

Dude!!! Are you a real life jumper?? Fantastic! :) :)

Ok, ok, here's one for ya on Ping898's theme:

If at first you don't succeed, parachuting was possibly not your best hobby choice. LOL :D

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do not be tense, just be ready, not thinking but not dreaming, not being set but being flexible. It is being "wholly" and quietly alive, aware and alert, ready for whatever may come.--Bruce Lee

Henderson

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Dude!!! Are you a real life jumper?? Fantastic! :) :)

Yes, I can proudly wear the U.S. Army paratrooper insignia...but that was a long time ago. :rolleyes:

Another one from that period of my life....

Drill Sergeant Moore: "If the Army would have wanted you have opinions, they would have issued them to you private!"

MartialIntent

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, since no one's suggested anything from the great man, here you go, some of the best from Muhammad Ali:

--I am the astronaut of boxing. Joe Louis and Dempsey were just jet pilots. I'm in a world of my own.
--I'm not the greatest; I'm the double greatest. Not only do I knock 'em out, I pick the round.
--I run on the road, long before I dance under the lights.
--I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark.
--It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am.
--My way of joking is to tell the truth. That's the funniest joke in the world.
--It's not bragging if you can back it up.

and of course...
--Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

But my favorite was the comment on his golf game:
--I'm the best. I just haven't played yet.

An icon will there ever be another?
Respects!

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A couple more Ali quotes:

--A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life.

--Hating people because of their color is wrong. And it doesn't matter which color does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

Given some of the other things Ali has said, I think these quotes help let people know that his biggest win's weren't necessarily in the ring, but against his own racist and hateful demons.

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Henderson said:
Drill Sergeant Moore: "If the Army would have wanted you have opinions, they would have issued them to you private!"

One from my own experiences:

"There's only one thief in the Marine Corps. Everybody else is just trying to get their stuff back." :D

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was in the Air Force as a computer programmer (9-5 office job...in Illinois..)

I once told a gung ho Army friend of mine

"The Air Force is barely military and I'm barely Air Force...I'm about as far away from the military you can get and still where the snappy clothes..."

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is better to light a candle then to complain about the darkness.

Better to send 5 Lions than 1000 sheep!

Violence is the last resort of the incompetent!

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
A couple that I made up:

To put out a fire you do not add more fire!

A man with leg cannot walk a tightrope

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes you better and better is where it's at." -Tony Blauer

"You must know then that there are two ways of fighting, one by the law, the other by force. The first is the way of men, the second is that of beasts. However, as the first is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second." -Niccolo Machiavelli

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him." -Mark Twain

"In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love; they had five hundred years of democracy and peace and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock." -Orson Welles

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

"It is not the critic who counts, not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of deeds might have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause;who, if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement; and who, if he fails,at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt

"There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

The only acceptable response to the threat of lethal violence is immediate and savage counterattack. If you resist you just may get killed. If you don't resist, you almost certainly will get killed. It is a tough choice, but there is only one right answer. Violent crime is feasible only if its victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. -Col. Jeff Cooper

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." -Robert A. Heinlein

"If you're in a fair fight, you screwed up!" -Annon.

w.kaer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've come across this one very recently. It is from a book called The Art of Wordly Wisdom.
"There are mirrors for the face, but the only mirror for the spirit is wise self-reflection."

Another one I like that speaks of growth and regret, but comes from a far less literary source
"Time may change me, but I can't change time."-David Bowie

Latest Discussions