What's you favorite quote or saying?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Could be just because you find it catchy, maybe it's the root of your existence or motivates your training, or somewhere in between. What works for you and (if you care to share) why?

Such as,
"In persuit of perfection, we acheive excellence".

Not even sure who said it or even if it's exactly right, but I reference every day.

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth"

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is one of my all-time favorites - a classic by Calvin Coolidge:

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A couple of favorites by Eleanor Roosevelt:

Friendship with ones self is all important, because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else in the world.
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
The giving of love is an education in itself.
We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... we must do that which we think we cannot.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We must not forget, of course, the all-giving Mother Teresa:

Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
Each one of them is Jesus in disguise.
I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier.

and finally;

People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered; Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; Be kind anyway.

If you are successful you will win some false friends and true enemies; Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you; Be honest and frank anyway.

What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight; Build anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous; Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; Do good anyway.

Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; Give the world the best you've got anyway.

You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God;

It was never between you and them anyway.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a good one by Mohandas Gandhi:

Before the throne of the Almighty, man will be judged not by his acts but by his intentions. For God alone reads our hearts.

And a great one by my chiropractor, Dr. Robert Allen:

Worry is a waste of the imagination.

*edit*
this is post 9,999

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Here is one of my all-time favorites - a classic by Calvin Coolidge:
Shesulsa, this is wonderful and provoking. A great quote. Thanks :)

For those of you with kids, and for the rest of us without, a reminder before it's too late:

"Nothing has a stronger influence psychologically on their environment, and especially on their children, than the unlived lives of the parents."
-- Carl Jung

Yr most obdt hmble svt,
Jenna

swiftpete

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Every day's a schoolday is one of mine. Plus one i always say to my sister if she's ever moaning about stuff is 'well, as long as you've got your legs'. I often think how awful it must be to lose them and lots of people do. Normally whatever she's moaning about is never as bad as that. It's sort of a joke with us, but I do try to think about the more unfortunate people in the world if i'm feeling down so as to stop feeling sorry for myself and thats what its about really!

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
-The beginning of Wisom starts with a desire for Dicipline.

-What doesn`t kill us makes us stronger.

-Despair is the conclusion of fools. Tomorrow`s sucess is built on yesterday`s failures. Live in the here and now. Do not seek more but learn to enjoy less.

-Remain honest in your heart, true to your discipline, and refrain from overindulgence, and you will know great rewards in life.

-Enemies will be quick to target those who are easily lured by the wrath of others.

-It is a humble virtue to be wealthy and not affected by it.

-Everything is relative.

-How utterly boring is perfection.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Choose excellence over mediocrity.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's a few from Dr. Seuss:

"A person's a person, no matter how small."

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happen
ed
."

"Adults are obsolete children."

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingr
ed
ient in living. It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities."

"You're in pretty good shape for the shape you are in."

"I learn
ed
there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some from behind."

"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So... get on your way."

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good."

“How did it get so late so soon? Its night before its afternoon. December is here before its June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon? You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go....”

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living. It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities."

AND my all time favorite:

"Be who you are and say what you want, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is right is not always popular; what is popular is not always right.

A hundred years from now, it will not matter what your bank account balance was, the sort of house you lived in, or the kind of car you drove, but the world may be different because you were important in the life of a child.

Life is like a band. We need not all play the same part, but, we MUST all play in harmony.

The Gate of Change is Locked on the INSIDE.

"You must do the things you think you cannot do."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

And then the fun ones...

Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill.

Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

This job is a test. It is only a test. If this had been a real job you would have had:
- Recognition for good work
- Pay commensurate with your expertise & results
- Promotions to greater responsibilities.

OP
Gemini

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some of these are truly awesome. Thank you all!

Keep 'em coming!

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
"Sunday is a good day to read...of course, everyday is good day to read if you ask me." - My dad

There are millions more...shoot look at my signature...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, " There is only one way to change the world...if each of us can leave one good child and they in turn leave one good child...we can truly change the world"

The problem is each child wants to be like their parents....teach hate..they will learn hate...teach prejudice they will learn this...teach bad things..they will want to learn this.....

Together each of us can leave a good child...teach them..to love all...care for all...one day we will win...! ........Aloha

Latest Discussions