Martial Arts Seminars

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I started a thread in knife arts about how many seminars do you attend in a given year.

I had a request to start one here, so...

How many seminars does everyone attend. Are they specific to your art or do you "branch out" a little.

Post where it is and why you enjoyed it.

:)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Every year our Professor runs annual Seminar in Las Vegas, for his Instructors and students above blue belts can attend. Limited to the first 300 people. In house only.

Any time you can make a trip from Hawaii to Las Vegas....you will go..this year...not able to attend this year.

We have schools all over the USA, Guam and Barbados. The fellowship and friends you make is great. The highlights is many choices to choose different areas of training,(like mini-classes) every hour. At the end there is a banquet, with many schools doing skits,demo's, lots of funny ones too.

There is Black belt testing is in the evenings(4-5 hours long)....Seminars are doing the day..all day too. (3 days of training).

------
Did you know Hawaii average's 40,000 people a month go to Las Vegas...and spend lots of dollars too...Gambling is not allow in Hawaii. People in Hawaii love to gamble and eat at the buffets, see the shows and play the slots. Many of the Hawaii people go more than once a year too.

-----.......Aloha (next year...hopefully will go to LV)

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I try to attend various seminars on various things whenever possible. I have participated in seminars on the following topics:
American Kenpo
Stretching and Flexibility - Bill Wallace and Gary Wasniewski
Kobudo
Kata
Breaking
Kendo
Ju Jitsu of Various Styles
Aikido
Kung Fu of Various Styles
Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido
Tactical Defense
Military Style Knife Fighting
Arnis

These among others thats I know I am spacing on right now.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As many as I can..Sometimes I can get the department to pay for it if I can prove that what I'm learning is applicable to LEO work..Other times they give me the time off and I pick up the costs myself..Either way I never pass up an oppetunity to train and learn something new...

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well I knew I forgot one. I recieved my police tactics certification through a organization in canada that ran a seminar only for black belts of masters rank and above and took a full day to train us and certify those of us that were there.

Eternal Beginner

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I attend as many as time and money will allow.

I love to branch out but currently my favorite seminars are ones that have to do with grappling or bjj. Unfortunately if I want to attend more than 2 or 3 a year, I usually have to travel as not too many are offered where I live, but it is well worth the money.

Within the city seminars involving everything from capoeira, aikido, tai chi, sumo, bjj, mma, karate and tkd have been offered. I have tried a little of everything and am very grateful for the new perspectives it has given me.

I think sometimes the "sytlism" that is so rampant in MA comes from ignorance and those who aren't willing to actually go out and try something before they make up their mind about it.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For a number of years i traveled constantly and attended countless camps and seminars with GM Presas, but I also branched out a bit and attended seminars with Wally Jay, Joe Lewis, Superfoot Wallace, Tak Kuboda, Dan Inosanto, George Dillman, Mike Stone, Cynthia Rothrock, and several others.
The seminars were a great way to bring new material back to my students and i met lots of interesting people along the way. Even more interesting than just larning the material was picking the brains of some of these people outside of the seminar.
I can't travel like I used to now that I have a school to run but the times at the seminars were very worthwhile and memorable.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
When ever there is a seminar within... ohh... say the next two counties. So about one every few months. The area I live in is more into tournaments then anything else.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe 4 or less a year and they could be from any system or style
I just like to learn

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
1 dagger seminar in the past year
1 seminar every 2 months involving unorthodox weapons, like KF fan, or horse cutter...

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
1 dagger seminar in the past year
1 seminar every 2 months involving unorthodox weapons, like KF fan, or horse cutter...

That sounds very cool. Have any pics? :)

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
i actually do not

never thought about taking pictures and actually do not know what to take pictures of in a seminar. the way it has been is we go to the seminar and we learn the form as if we're learning a regular form in a class...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
never thought about taking pictures and actually do not know what to take pictures of in a seminar

I hear ya there...Me, I'd have to bring someone with me to take pictures..I've even thought about hiring someone to do it..I'm usually too busy participating to stop and take pictures..

patroldawg27

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've done quite a few sport karate seminars over the years. Iv'e taken seminars from: my instructor (Mike Conroy) and....
Bill "Superfoot" Wallace - Stretching/Sparring
Jason Tankson Bourelly - Sparring
Gabe Reynaga - Traditional Forms
Mike Chaturantabut - Kamas
Jon Valera - Flashy kicks and techniques that I can't do (fun anyway though)
Richard Plowden - Sparring
Rocky Dirico - Bo staff
Ronald and Donald Brady - Sparring
Freddie Lapan - Sparring

probably a few more that I'm forgetting right now but they were all a great time and I learned alot from them.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Usually three. The dojo here hosts a couple of them each year, and a special guest is brought in to teach those seminars.

The third one is the International Martial Arts Symposium that's held in the fall of each year, in Columbia, South Carolina. Abele Shihan invites a wide variety of instructors from many different systems (CMA, JMA, MMA, kobudo, etc), and each of them teach multiple sessions, so you get a great chance to pick and choose what you want to learn that weekend.

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well in the UK we host a Summer Camp that is full of seminars over a long weekend also we have recently just returned from the IKC in Utrecht where there were some very interesting and thought provoking seminars.

I must say, I recently saw Mr Paul Dye who gave a very good seminar on the origins of the self defense techniques that we all know today. It gave a real insight into the mentality and applications.

I also attended a seminar by Mr Angell (one of Dr Chapel's senior instructors), which made me realise how specific every single thing you do is. That nothing is throw away or open to interpretation. A real eye opener into the effectiveness and universe of SL4. But, it's not for everyone.

Another one I liked was by two Irish dan grades (I'm sorry I can't remember their names) who gave me their version of the two man set. Love picking up things like that.

I'm not really into seminars that are grafting one technique onto another as I always feel that that is something that I can discover on my own, what really fires me up is seeing someone doing something that makes me think "wow that's good, I'm gonna learn some of this!".

So which seminars has other people enjoyed and why?

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
i video taped 1/2 of the form (the horse cutter) the second half exactly resembles the what you see so ur not missing anything...
i suck haha

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions