What would of become of KENPO if Ed Parker was still alive ?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

There was to be a two-tiered approach with an umbrella organization, and individuals wanting to move to higher levels would have to transition through one to the other. The organization that existed was to be the transition group, and rank was not going to be transportable. Oh, and there would be a whole lot less high ranking belts created by new organizations and popped up, propped up styles.

Isn't it funny that some think that just because their students think they should be a 10th, that everyone else should feel the same way and call them GM?

There I said it, and I don't take it back.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, and there would be a whole lot less high ranking belts created by new organizations and popped up, propped up styles.

Eh, I wouldn't be so sure about that...they'd get a lot more grief for it, sure, but I'd wager those unable or unwilling to meet the standards would find some excuse to go their own way. It happens all the time, sadly.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Eh, I wouldn't be so sure about that...they'd get a lot more grief for it, sure, but I'd wager those unable or unwilling to meet the standards would find some excuse to go their own way. It happens all the time, sadly.

Yeah you're right, but like I said, there would be less for sure, and certainly no 10ths while he was alive. The funny thing is Parker lost black belts all the time, but he was smart enough to remain cordial and did business with most of them. Also oddly enough, they still depended upon Parker for rank, so there are lotsa business ranks out there too.

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah you're right, but like I said, there would be less for sure, and certainly no 10ths while he was alive. The funny thing is Parker lost black belts all the time, but he was smart enough to remain cordial and did business with most of them. Also oddly enough, they still depended upon Parker for rank, so there are lotsa business ranks out there too.
Anytime money changed hands, actually. I like what the LTKK does. The higher levels of black are not an option unless you are running a region of the country or something. Its a business model but if you have a room full of tenth degrees, who they gonna listen too?
Sean

Milt G.

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Hello,
I agree... Certainly, there would be only a fraction of the 10th degrees we have now. These days there are almost as many 10th degrees as there are orange belts. :)

I do think he would have finally promoted others to 10th degree. There would have been quite a few "backed up" at 9th degree by now. And I think he would have named, or elluded to a successor by now.

Would be interesting in any case... Thank you for your input!

Milt G.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello,
I agree... Certainly, there would be only a fraction of the 10th degrees we have now. These days there are almost as many 10th degrees as there are orange belts. :)

I do think he would have finally promoted others to 10th degree. There would have been quite a few "backed up" at 9th degree by now. And I think he would have named, or elluded to a successor by now.

Would be interesting in any case... Thank you for your input!

Milt G.

Cut the crap dude, you know dam well there are more 10th's than orange belts. :)

Latest Discussions