What will we do after it?

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps Ben Kenobi didn't appear to age as much because the force runs so strong in him.

Do not give in to your hatred, Technopunk, for this is the path to the dark side. Stretch out with your feelings.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Perhaps Ben Kenobi didn't appear to age as much because the force runs so strong in him.

Do not give in to your hatred, Technopunk, for this is the path to the dark side. Stretch out with your feelings.
The Dark side has many benifits my child. Health Plans. Dental Plans. Nice Colors.

BLACK

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
According to old fanzines long time ago in a teen-ager's bedroom far far away, I remember reading the backstory given by either Lucas or someone else about the creation of Vader from the "good-guy" Anakin!
It went something like this.
Anakin was in his mid to late twenties as was Kenobi when they first met. Anakin was a star-pilot/fighter as described by Kenobi in A New Hope Quote:
"...he was the best star-fighter in the galaxy...and a cunning warrior...and a good friend"
Anakin's fighting skills impressed Kenobi as well as "how strongly the force was with him". (note NO mention of HIS teacher finding the trait in Anakin). So Kenobi took it upon himself to train Anakin, and thought he could do as good of a job as Yoda did on Kenobi.
Quote:
ESB: "There you will learn from Yoda...the Jedi that instructed me..."
Apparently he succeeds and the two have some adventures together.
Quote:
ANH: Luke: You fought in the clone wars? Kenobi: Yes I was once a Jedi Knight the same as your father.
Anakin meets his wife (Amadala? Ok cool) and falls in love and they marry but have little time together as he's out fighting for truth justice and the Jedi-way!
Senator Palpatine also notes what a strong Jedi Anakin is... thus sets up a way to get the guy pissed off (anger leads to the dark side) with his mentor and take his side. Anakin may be serving Palpatine unaware of the man's manipulations and thus sets up an awkward situation between Kenobi and Amadala for Anakin to "walk-into" and "catch them in the act".
Imagine the slow poison Palpatine could been feeding Anakin about how Kenobi might be moving in on his wife (Anakin could've been insanely jealous type) and then arranges for that awkward situation. Anakin is pissed and runs back to the Senator/mentor...he now tells him SEE how those Jedi really are? Come join the Sith Lords! Kill all the Jedi's
Quote: ...and your journey towards the dark-side will be complete!
Anakin goes around the galaxy and "hunted down and destroyed the Jedi Knights"... the result is that a body part gets whacked off here and another part there, because at the time he was probably a 1st Dan Jedi and the older ones were around 5th or 7th Dans so you're gonna get hurt, and thus his slow transformation to "more machine now than human...twisted and evil". According to the fanzine his "first" contfrontation with Kenobi was on a stone arch bridge over a lava lake or river. They battle and while Palpatine was sending troops (Grand Moff Tarkin, supposedly a good friend to Anakin) to Anakin's aid, Kenobi knocks Anakin off the bridge and into the lake of Lava. Kenobi is then forced to run as the Clone/Storm-troopers arrive and try to kill him.
Anakin in searing pain manages to use the force to get him out of the Lava before it kills him and Tarkin arrives and gets him the medical aid that he desperately needs. But the searing gasses of the Lava destroyed Anakin's lungs and thus he's on a resperator (thus the deep breathing device) the agony of the third degree burns and his inner hatered of Kenobi and anger at his wife's "betrayal" drive him over the edge to madness and to the dark side.
The black armor and mask were designed especially for him so that he would have self-mobility, breathe and it was guessed that some of the cute little buttons on the chest plate were used to turn-on pain-killers, the "look" was designed by Tarkin so to strike fear into those who dared to opposed the new emperor via his newest lackey... and the rest is Star Wars history starting from: A New Hope.
Apparently after Anakin "caught Kenobi and his wife in the act" he didn't realize that the two were trying to figure out how to tell him that he was a Daddy...
The Fanzine points out that Kenobi later, after the birth of the twins, came secretly and collected Luke after agreeing with the twin's mother and sent the Mrs. to her (distant) family on Alderaan. Luke went to Kenobi's BROTHER on Tattoonie, Owen Lars. Luke grows up calling Lars and Beru Uncle and Aunt. I'll buy that part because I have numerous of kids of close friends calling me uncle even though we're not blood relations. And it is "for the sake of the Galaxy" that Luke doesn't know the truth of his father. Owen's resentment
Quote: ANH: That wizard is just a crazy old man
could stem from a broken promise by Kenobi that caring for Luke is just for a little while. But circumstances may have forced Kenobi into hiding and thus he felt it was wise leaving Luke undiscovered with a childless couple would be the best thing.

Also that Leia was just as ignorant on the whole Daddy thing as from R2-D2's message in
ANH "years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars"
While the twins mother nurtured Leia she obviously kept the truth of her father just as secret as Owen and Beru did from Luke.

That is just my take on the whole Anakin to Vader... (sorry if it was a long rant but hey... fodder for discussion).

If I can recall the fanzine and the issue I would... but currently I live in one state and my entire collection is in another so whenever I DO get my hands on it again I'll definitely re-post and quote my sources... I'm guessing it was early issues of Fangora or other like Mags first published back in the mid-late 70's
To me the (above) makes more sense than some little kid with the capabilities of driving a machine at 700 mph and piloting a complicated star-fighter and those little nano-thingys in our blood which are a symbionic relationship that provide the power of the Force... I mean geez.
To me the Force is our Chi/Ki. Jedi's spent time learning to enhance and control it at will.
I dunno, from my memory and the resultant prequels there's a big clash between what Lucas had originally envisioned to what he finally created.
Or maybe ... it's just me :idunno:

Attachments

• $TheDuel.jpe
    $TheDuel.jpe
    12 KB · Views: 139
  • $thefinalduel.jpe
    18.6 KB · Views: 132
  • $poster1.jpe
    24.8 KB · Views: 119

Latest Discussions