What was Wing Chun designed for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Now, I note that in both forms, WSL keeps his arms a bit lower than in the LT forms, and especially in Biu Jee, he maintains a distinctly low elbow position when delivering the rotational punch referenced, but to me (admittedly coming from outside WSL-VT) this still looks like a hook to the body, or at least a VT/WC equivalent! Am I missing something?

Yes. You're looking for imaginary bodies and what these actions could be doing to them, rather than what these actions are doing to our own body.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why argue semantics? It serves no purpose and you know what LFJ meant since you write that in text. Going against his use of word will not change his meaning.It is beneath you and us all.

Saying that the move is an application would I agree be both correct and incorrect. One can also say the move shows a concept and while that move would be an application following the concept it shows. Would it be only an application then it would prohibit evolving but showing a concept means it may show other applications that may not be identified unless one can read the form.

Sorry if being unclear but there is a difference between a concept and an application even if a concept may be an application as well.

He was so eager to have something to argue me on that he didn't even understand my post, anyway.

I can't be bothered to help him anymore. Enough free crumbs for the ingrate.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. You're looking for imaginary bodies and what these actions could be doing to them, rather than what these actions are doing to our own body.
It is both.
It is also about movement and what is available within the movement based upon the spatial relationships of the opponents but not about a specific application.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is both.
It is also about movement and what is available within the movement based upon the spatial relationships of the opponents but not about a specific application.

But, as Geezer was getting at....is it an arcing punch to the body or is it not?

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is both.

No, it's not. There is no opponent. It's a one-man form.

Maybe your system fights imaginary opponents in its forms, but not WSLVT.

But, as Geezer was getting at....is it an arcing punch to the body or is it not?

It's not an arcing punch and there is no body.

Last edited:

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nope. I didn't complain to the mods. Maybe somebody else did? I'm just complaining to you. Here's a little friendly advice: Just take the time to write "you" instead of "u" and "are" instead of "r" ...oh, and don't use a "z" to make a word plural (boyz). It makes your writing look like it was written by a kid, and people here won't take you seriously. ;)

Spellin is hard foe me if you don like it then i donno wat i can do bettur. Can stayaway from 2s an 4s tho if it help?

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry dude...it's "dyslexic" not disleksic. Purposely writing in some kind of shorthand is a choice not a condition. Your persistent use of what someone called Textspeak is liken to when one speaks a foreign language to a group when one is fluent in the language known by the group. At first it is a bit strained, then it becomes obnoxious especially when it is pointed out that the group has difficulty understanding you, and as one persists they become ignored.
On this forum there are members from all around the world, the key in communicating is writing in a manner all can participate in discussions.

im tryin mt best

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, it's not. There is no opponent. It's a one-man form.

Maybe your system fights imaginary opponents in its forms, but not WSLVT.
So you aren't moving?

No the WC system I train and practice doesn't fight imaginary opponents in its forms. LOL are you attempting to be comical.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Up to you. You can't judge whether or not something is a gap for a system you know nothing about, though, because you don't know how it works and what makes it work, or what stops it from working.

Apparently without even wanting find to out, you've already decided what would be "the better" system for you. So, I won't bother describing anything further.

It ties to the concept of functional. The better system functions better. Then we figure out why those concepts work.

We haven't seen VT function. We have seen systems with hooks and rotational punches function.

It has to start with working. Before we can look into why something works.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you aren't moving?

No the WC system I train and practice doesn't fight imaginary opponents in its forms. LOL are you attempting to be comical.

You guys are talking about "the opponent" and "to the body" when discussing a one-man form.

You must be seeing things.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
It ties to the concept of functional. The better system functions better. Then we figure out why those concepts work.

We haven't seen VT function. We have seen systems with hooks and rotational punches function.

It has to start with working. Before we can look into why something works.

The functionality of the system doesn't rely on you having seen it work. Plenty of people have. Most importantly those who train it.

I don't care one bit to convince you, but I suggest going to see and educating yourself on the system before attempting to talk about if or how well it works.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
You guys are talking about "the opponent" and "to the body" when discussing a one-man form.

So you are saying, in effect, that the forms in the vt you study aren't purposed to train your body to deal with opponents? What else would that movement be for?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
The functionality of the system doesn't rely on you having seen it work. Plenty of people have. Most importantly those who train it.

I don't care one bit to convince you, but I suggest going to see and educating yourself on the system before attempting to talk about if or how well it works.
This claim is problematic because it carries with it the necessary assertion that nobody has been publicly successful with this system in either tournaments or street fights.

Or in other words;

A it only works in the dojo against other vt guys or
B it works in the street but there has been some super clandestine conspiracy to keep this from being known publicly.

I choose C.

Reactions: KPM
OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score

We were talking about "intent"....what the movement represents. You are just being argumentative. Again!!!

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
This claim is problematic because it carries with it the necessary assertion that nobody has been publicly successful with this system in either tournaments or street fights.

Or in other words;

A it only works in the dojo against other vt guys or
B it works in the street but there has been some super clandestine conspiracy to keep this from being known publicly.

I choose C.
Your showing your youth.

Lack of camera phone video doesn't disprove a proposition.

Furthermore you can find lots of YouTube video of wing chun winning in fights and competitions. It's just that there's always an excuse why it's not a valid win.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

where would I see this system function? So that I can gain this education.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Furthermore you can find lots of YouTube video of wing chun winning in fights and competitions. It's just that there's always an excuse why it's not a valid win.

Really? Please share some of these videos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions