What was Wing Chun designed for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lmao...

Did you bother to watch the action in the videos? It speaks for itself. Champion boxers get destroyed by leg kicks.

You can search up more yourself.

So you found a few clips of second rate boxres who got drafted into fights at the last minute and didn't understand the rules? So what. The sweet science wipes the floor with these Muy Thais in a real faceoff with no BS.

Boxing is a science of combat. Throwing a few kicks is playground stuff by comparison:D

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another classic line from that video:

"Boxing's combination punching and inside ounching becomes very limited against undefended clinch holds"

This is funny, tell me another one!

Demonstrated in the videos.

That's where KPM says his WC can help.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you found a few clips of second rate boxres who got drafted into fights at the last minute and didn't understand the rules? So what. The sweet science wipes the floor with these Muy Thais in a real faceoff with no BS.

Boxing is a science of combat. Throwing a few kicks is playground stuff by comparison:D

Show it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh good, somebody new just jumped in so this can go at least another 16 pointless pages. I was worried, it looked like it might be winding down.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
Demonstrated in the videos.

That's where KPM says his WC can help.

And I think he is onto something! Sounds like someone not dreaming about fantasy martial arts and insead down with the reality of actual combat. Sure wing chun can add to boxing in close where it all gets a bit Jackie Chan and you need the contact reflexes and skills in chi sau.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score

Show what? Throwing a kick (kids stuff) vs the whole craft of boxing built up over generations?!?:rolleyes:

Lol don't make me laught. Just give up, you r looking desperate now.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
And I think he is onto something!

Then laughing at that quote is stupid if you agree it's a weakness and believe WC can help.

Sounds like someone not dreaming about fantasy martial arts and insead down with the reality of actual combat.

Sounds like someone who never learned a complete martial art looking to gap-fill with contradictory methods that are only safe under its own ring rules.

Show what?

Boxing wiping the floor with Muay Thai.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh good, somebody new just jumped in so this can go at least another 16 pointless pages. I was worried, it looked like it might be winding down.

KPM either got his young student to come troll, or he opened a troll account of his own.

OP
K

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
KPM either got his young student to come troll, or he opened a troll account of his own.

Nope. I have no idea who that guy is. But he seems to recognize common sense when he sees it!

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Nope. I have no idea who that guy is. But he seems to recognize common sense when he sees it!
Well I would say, based on his comments regarding the talent of the boxers in those videos he is showing a rather startling lack of common sense. My first thought was to watch the one video and look at the names then Google.

Arthur "King" James Williams was actually a dang good boxer during the time that K-1 fight happened. Arthur Williams (boxer) - Wikipedia

To me when you are going to make a comment on the skill of a fighter, if you have a name, you check out the fighter's record.

Lobo66

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
@karatejj
Mayweather is an incredibly skilled boxer, but if his upcoming fight with McGregor were to take place in the cage instead of the ring he would get eaten alive.
Style vs style comparisons in an MMA setting between boxers and grapplers/mma fighters have not gone well historically for the boxers. MMA fighters simply have more tools in their toolbox. Once again context is everything.

For example :

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wrong.

VT is a fully developed and functional striking method.
It was designed for fist fighting which obviously includes longer range.

Though aggressive close-range fighting is preferable from a percentage standpoint, this does not mean VT is any less developed or functional at long range.

Again, it is a fully developed and functional standalone striking method.
It doesn't need gap-filling for fundamental striking elements at long range.

I don't think anybody is saying VT doesn't have a system for long range strinking. They are saying that if given the choice to pick any system for long range fighting. They will pick a good one.

So given a choice between what two guys sparring in their living room use. And what champion fighters use.

For some reason people are leaning towards what champions use.

Reactions: KPM

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. on to the technical.

Regarding things like a weighted front leg. there is no real right way to approach it. There are only reasons why you would or wouldn't.

So a weighted front leg lets you punch harder and avoid takedowns better. It also helps if they are trying to kick you in the knee.

A light front leg lets you kick easier and lets you check kicks better.

So it depends on your game plan.

As chun does not dominate with kicks at any range. I would suggest a heavy front leg. I also would not sit in kicking range though either. All the way in or all the way out.

And I will mention this idea again. Fighting is not style specific. There are ideas that work and ones that dont. linage is balls it is completely irrelevant to the mechanics of face punching.

Reactions: KPM

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mark hunt has never been accused of having a light front foot. Cro Cop does. They are working to their own strengths.

Both of these guys have won some fights.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thinking about increases the rates since some new blood jumped in. I might need some help keeping up with the sales, lol.

I'm more of a chips n salsa n beer or wine guy...but count me in on the rate increases, my credit card can handle it! Hahahahaha

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think Wing Chun was designed to win fights. But it doesn't seem to do that much these days.

A fight is dynamic, you can change your weight distribution according to the circumstance. When I had my fight I was preparing for a boxing match and my footwork in training then was more front leg heavy, when I got told it was kickboxing now I did have to change how my footwork would be because the inside of my front leg would have been sitting out for a good kick.

IMO having good boxing is more effective than kickboxing when all ranges are involved, if the boxer is aware of all the other aspects of fighting and knows about the timing of kicks etc. People like Conor Mcgregor and Cody Garbrandt in the UFC are good examples. They have very good boxing but still, have some skill in other aspects. Nate Diaz boxed up Donald Cerrone in a match that could be considered mainly Muay Thai vs Boxing, but hen again Mcgregor used the kicks against Diaz in the 2nd fight. So yeah, fighting is dynamic, I think the best skill is awareness.

Street fights have a way different dynamic than sports fighting and I believe having good hands is also better if you get assaulted. I doubt most trained people, whether in boxing or kickboxing would have trouble with an untrained Joe throwing sloppy hooks.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think he makes perfect sense to me. He sees the flaws in Wing Chun as did I, but it start to feel that people are so hung up into their own art and blinded by it that they won't see their shortcomings anyways.

So whats the point in discussing anything.

Repeated ideas and arguments help you develop your BS meter. So that when you are told something you don't automatically just accept it. You start to notice what is being left out of the conversation.

The Emperors new clothes.

Even if we never agree. We have been forced to think about it.

And this is important because with the world is becoming an echo chamber and our BS meters need to be more finely tuned than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.