What to expect in a first week or 2 of classes?

Emptyhand

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I know that depending on the style and instructor things may differ but what could a beginner typically expect in their first or second week of training in Wing Chun?

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know that depending on the style and instructor things may differ but what could a beginner typically expect in their first or second week of training in Wing Chun?

You're right, it will depend on what you said. :)

I guess I can only say what I experienced in my first couple of weeks.

I won't describe the names of various moves as it may be confusing at this stage, but we did a lot of pad work, bare-knuckle (which took some getting used to) a few combos, a lot of physical training to work up a sweat and get the core temperature up. Wing Chun is typically close ranged, and I had to get used to bare knuckle drills zinging round my face and full speed.

It ain't flashy, extremely simple in its application. There will be certain techniques, combos that may take some time for the muscle memory to pick up, but overall I found that after an 18 month break from training that I slotted right back into it.

Classes will differ from lineage to lineage and I'd guess even from sifu to sifu within lineages. My sifu trains us very hard. So hard physical training, pressups, stomach crunch, footwork drills that make us want to hack up, followed by a variety of training from week to week. One thing is, it's never the same from one week to the next, which keeps it alive.

We also do the Sui Lim Tao, the first form of WC, only for a few minutes at the end of the class, but we do it nice and slowly and controlled.

Regardless, I hope you enjoy it and get it as much as I do. Good luck, let us know how it goes. :)

Hagakure.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I too can only speak from experience, but the first 10 minutes of my first class he had me hit a pad to "show him my stuff" than we worked on some punching and siu nim tao, the first form. Than we started to work on the circle step in the next class along with pad work, there was also a balancing drill of sorts. Either way it seems to take a month or two to start getting into some of the more exciting aspects, but when you get there it is wellll more than worth the wait! :)

Observer

White Belt
Reaction score
In that short period -- simply to get a feel of the place and ask yourself whether this is the place to invest your precious time and money.

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In that short period -- simply to get a feel of the place and ask yourself whether this is the place to invest your precious time and money.

Actually that's also a really good point I didn't even consider. I was lucky in that the first place I tried felt right and I've been there ever since.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Confusion man! Hey! what's this pigeon-toed-chicken-wing stuff? They roasted me!Destroyed all my stuff with their stuff! Then put me in these funny poses.Yeah, I was skeptical at first.No really, we started learning how to set up the basic stance,chain punching for starters was a must before each class.Emphasis on relaxing the upper torso and adducting the knees.nothing too heavy at first.
A really good knockdown and a demo convinced me to stay.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not a WC prationeer, but I recall my first 2 weeks in another system...I learned I didnt know how to stand, breathe, or move correctly and I confused my right and my left...It was a lot of FUN..

Latest Discussions