Class instruction or private lessons

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd say go for public and private lessons for the reasons stated by gpseymour above. Out of curiosity, where in AZ do you live? There's Wing Chun in Phoenix, Tempe, Mesa, Avondale, Flag, Tucson... probably Sedona... Maybe there's somebody closer than you think.

Well also quantity. If you can hack a private in before a couple of classes. And you are out there for the day anyway.

You may as well.

Our guys will often travel to townsville or Brisbane to train.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For the WC system, the private lesson may not be a big problem. My Shuai Chiao teacher had lived in my house for over a year. I had private lesson with him 24/7. Since he was 73 years old at that time, when he taught me the throwing techniques, there was no way that he would let me to use "shoulder throw" and throw him over my head 200 times daily.

Now I'm not young any more. When I teach private lesson, I would always require my student to bring his own training partner. I don't think I can take 200 throws by beginner no matter how much he may pay me.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Geezer I live in Cochise county. So I'm looking to go to Tucson for my training. Privates sounds like my best option.

Thanks for all of the replies.

There's great WC in Tucson (Augustine Fong). Many folks have to travel even further to get good training. Good luck in your training and Viva Baja Arizona!

Cephalopod

Green Belt
Reaction score
Another option:

Recruit someone from your town to join you in your endeavor.
You would end up with a training partner with whom to practice the stuff you learn, and someone to share the commute with.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I live about 100 miles from a Wing chun school. I could only attend 2-4 classes a month. Would it be better to do private lessons or class instructions for a beginner in Wing chun?

Class time is needed to do chi sao with a variety of people.

Private lessons would allow the Sifu to be completely focused on YOU, which would get you to the point of being able to do chi sao sooner.

wayfaring

Green Belt
Reaction score
I live about 100 miles from a Wing chun school. I could only attend 2-4 classes a month. Would it be better to do private lessons or class instructions for a beginner in Wing chun?

If you want, come to one of Grandmaster Garrett Gee's public workshops teaching Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun. They are held about quarterly in Tempe AZ at Mark Jones school. Greater Phoenix area. 9-5 pm - a lot of in depth exploration. That might be a good addition to any privates you are looking to take. I think the next one might be the first weekend Saturday in February, but let me know if you are interested.

OP
Wing Chun AZ

Wing Chun AZ

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks guys for all of your opinions. I signed up at Fong's Wing Chun Gung-Fu school. I'll be doing class instruction for now. They told me that since I have a long drive, that I can attend both classes on the same night, instead of just one class. Now I can't wait for my first class.

Latest Discussions