What the...even MORE new poomsae from Kukkiwon?

Discussion in 'Tae-Kwon-Do' started by TrueJim, Nov 18, 2017.

1. skribs

skribs Master Black Belt

Well, I hope you would enjoy your own creation ;)

2. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I am actually surprised by it, Skribs. I've never done much kata work in the past, and didn't really expect to find them fun. I enjoyed creating them (the experimentation and discovery phase is always fun), but expected them to bore me.

3. TrueJim

TrueJim 3rd Black Belt

An anonymous user posted this to the taekwondo wiki this morning:

"The latest information we got this weekend from the WT vice president is that at the 2018 world championships competitors will be able to choose for the traditional (taegeuk, poomsae koryo - poomsae hansu) or modern (bee-gak 1-3) forms. Starting 2019 the modern forms will be compulsory."

I haven't yet seen other references to this.

4. TrueJim

TrueJim 3rd Black Belt

Getting back to the topic of the Kukkiwon's Competition Poomsae (as opposed to the new Old People Poomsae, that apparently nobody has seen yet)...

Since I had some free time this weekend (finally!) I took a crack at diagramming Nareusya (also called Bigak Sam Jang by WT). As mentioned, this is based on frame-by-frame watching of the videos, which is a very error-prone process. I wish we had some written instructions for these new forms. If you find mistakes, let me know and I'll adjust.

This form intended for age 18-30. I still don't know what WT plans to use as their "Bigak Il Jang".

Nareusya

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Archtkd

Archtkd 3rd Black Belt

Thought you might find this discussion with the U.S Poomsae National Team Coach
    very interesting:

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. TrueJim

TrueJim 3rd Black Belt

Thank you! I had seen this before. It's excellent, and informed my own thinking quite a lot.

On a side note, I had high hopes that Iron Wood Productions (Ashley Davis & Jake Tran) would continue to churn out a lot of good "taekwondo news" videos. We haven't heard much from them lately though. I think the turning point was when they opted to attend the 2017 Martial Arts SuperShow rather than the 2017 Taekwondo National Championships. To me, covering products is less interesting than covering athletes & coaches.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1