What Style is Best For Real Self Defense?

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by macher, Apr 16, 2018.

1. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Possibly not. But I also doubt it would be the result of some sort of magic Aiki either.

I have sparred some old judoka. Those guys are made of nails.

The exact opposite of what I see Aikido trying to achieve. And as a side note I am against aiki a bit as I get older. Because aiki in my environment equals scramble. And I just can't out scramble a guy half my age.

• Like Like x 1
  2. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    That's an interesting observation. The better I get at what I call aiki (maybe not the same thing you're talking about), the more moments seem to slow down for me. I'm not in the chaos you're sometimes in, though, so that might be a difference, too.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. dvcochran

dvcochran Purple Belt

• Supporting Member
    A lot of good advise. I would start by asking what is your experience(s)? Can you be specific to what you are looking for based on the past or expected future? Can you put in one sentence or paragraph? It is a big question you are asking I think.

4. oldwarrior

oldwarrior Green Belt

I do accept what you are saying and each has a path that works for them and that is the way of most things in life not just the Martial Arts.

As I think I said Aikido was born from a different age and so some of the "ideas" and the thinking behind them may and do seem strange ... Aikido is more of a whole philosophy than just an Art on it's own and the Aiki or Ki side is a big part of that ...That does come from the founders beliefs and from how he looked towards life and conflict. Also WWII did have an effect on Aikido imo a very big effect but that is just my opinion.

One thing Aikido can and does offer is how to blend and use your own "body mechanics" and that of your opponents to your advantage and it will over many many many years of study enhance spacial awareness. That said for a straight out off the bat self defense system no it is not the best and never will be.

5. oldwarrior

oldwarrior Green Belt

Very interesting as I too feel the more I immerse myself in Aikido the more Intune I feel with that around and yes things do seem to slow down and become less of a struggle and more of a flow (there again I may be on a different page to what you are meaning)

But still interesting to see other students of the Arts observations and thoughts as all is relevant

6. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

As I read the OP, he was looking for a Tai Chi school that was combat oriented. Perhaps he changed that along the way.

As to your comment, I have never studied Aikido so it is difficult for me to say anything about it with any real knowledge. But I have always thought that Aikido was more focused on joint manipulation into throws. It was not interested in hurting you, but if it did that was on the person who started a confrontation. If you got tired of being thrown about and left, that was fine. That was the goal. Hapkido is also defensive in philosophy. However, Hapkido figures they don't want to fight. If you force an issue, Hapkido doesn't want to have to do it again. Therefore, pain and damage to the opponent is to ensure they don't have to do it again. Hapkido will use anything that presents itself as a defense; joint manipulation, joint dislocations, throws, kicks, strikes, pressure points. Any one of those or a combination.

I say that to ask if you really think the techniques in Hapkido and Aikido are similar? Sometimes I have thought so, and other times I think they are very different. I once mentioned to my GM that I thought Hapkido and Aikido about the same. He was quite succinct but emphatic that they were not.