What Style is Best For Real Self Defense?

Ryback

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't want to upset more but there are other Sensei who dispute Seagal's claims. One has gone on record saying that he was at the Honbu yes but he was not there when he claims.

O'sensei died April 1969 in Iwama,
Yeah well, as I said I wasn't there... Anything could be true, after all I admire Seagal Sensei's early technique skill level, as for his stories...I don't know.
I mentioned him here mainly because I think that he is one of the teachers that emphasizes the self defense aspect of Aikido, as well as others of course.
There is also that guy named Nenad Ikras he was in Serbia I think but now he is living and teaching Aikido in Barcelona, he has quite a dynamic approach to the art...

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah well, as I said I wasn't there... Anything could be true, after all I admire Seagal Sensei's early technique skill level, as for his stories...I don't know.
I mentioned him here mainly because I think that he is one of the teachers that emphasizes the self defense aspect of Aikido, as well as others of course.
There is also that guy named Nenad Ikras he was in Serbia I think but now he is living and teaching Aikido in Barcelona, he has quite a dynamic approach to the art...

He is offering online teaching ... I'm afraid anyone that does that kinda gets a nope I will refrain from saying it lol.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't imagine trying to learn aikido on-line. I just can't picture how it would be possible.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, but for someone who already studies it or a related art, online material can be useful for exploration.

Oh I do agree there fully.

But by that time you are looking for the nuances and the finer points and watching different shihan doing the same thing can be very informative indeed

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
No, but for someone who already studies it or a related art, online material can be useful for exploration.

True that. I had in my head Joe-Bob and his brother Earl watching an on-line video and trying to figure it out. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True that. I had in my head Joe-Bob and his brother Earl watching an on-line video and trying to figure it out. :)
I grew up next to Joe Bob and had an Uncle Earl. I can't imagine either of them actually watching an Aikido video. :D

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It's not really much about style. When you look at every martial art, apart from a couple of exceptions and flashy stuff, it's all the same, it's just what it puts emphasis on; BJJ on groundwork, boxing on striking. It's about the quality of the teaching and whether you are being trained to acting in a fight more reactively than proactively, which is done through sparring. You need to learn how to react to the current situation e.g. a punch is being thrown (reactive), rather than attempt to predict what's going to happen and control the situation (proactive). It's not about the style you train, because on the street, if you're angry or mad enough anything is effective, just don't try that no-touch ********. It's about how well you condition your learning is conditioning you for a fight on the street, as compared to a dojo or a cage.

So much this Ivan.
Every art has a gap... the gold standard should be a well rounded fighter.

Learn where your current arts has gaps. Next, find something else to plug in and address it.

A bjj player lacks the mobility to handle multiple assailants.... but most striking schools don't train for multiple (exceptions exist some train 1 v 3 or 1 v 2), But a striking school that spars, but dosen't simulate 3 on 1 or higher never mentally prepares them for a real world fight, in exactly the same way.

A young flexible man or woman could supplement BJJ with Track running and or Parkour.

Old Tang Soo Do encouraged finding a nearby doorway to defend yourself in, as the building channels the numbers into a better situation.

[They cannot circle around you, they are in each others way. And each defeat hurts mob morale.]

I have had every students of mine spar in a doorway, and asked them to think and find other spots that would be advantageous.

Proactive measures are prefight measures.

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As I read the OP, he was looking for a Tai Chi school that was combat oriented. Perhaps he changed that along the way.

As to your comment, I have never studied Aikido so it is difficult for me to say anything about it with any real knowledge. But I have always thought that Aikido was more focused on joint manipulation into throws. It was not interested in hurting you, but if it did that was on the person who started a confrontation. If you got tired of being thrown about and left, that was fine. That was the goal. Hapkido is also defensive in philosophy. However, Hapkido figures they don't want to fight. If you force an issue, Hapkido doesn't want to have to do it again. Therefore, pain and damage to the opponent is to ensure they don't have to do it again. Hapkido will use anything that presents itself as a defense; joint manipulation, joint dislocations, throws, kicks, strikes, pressure points. Any one of those or a combination.

I say that to ask if you really think the techniques in Hapkido and Aikido are similar? Sometimes I have thought so, and other times I think they are very different. I once mentioned to my GM that I thought Hapkido and Aikido about the same. He was quite succinct but emphatic that they were not.

Very similar, very different and a lot of common principles but the method of application is varied.

Hapkido is far more aggressive, aikido is passive and waiting.

Hapkido has far more attacks, kicks and hand strikes. and a lot more weapons.

Aikido uses two Bokken, and Jo (short staff)

Both are directly derived from DRJJ, but Hapkido's founder crosstrained and brought some Judo, and several striking arts into it, and then there were new Happkido techniques that were created instead of learned by transmission from other arts.

Some techniques were created to counter judo techniques. Some were created to counter Karate or TKD type kicks.

Here is a Hopkidoin, and an Aikidoka roughhousing freestyle, without actually accidentally hurting each other.

Last edited:

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Aikido uses two Bokken,

I only know of one school that uses two sword style Saotome Mitsugi , Aikido schools of Ueshiba,

Aiki-ken and Aiki-jo are taught but not every shcool does that but the two sword style isn't An Aikido subject (I stand to be corrected but it certainly not at the Aikikai or Iwama )

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only know of one school that uses two sword style Saotome Mitsugi , Aikido schools of Ueshiba,

Aiki-ken and Aiki-jo are taught but not every shcool does that but the two sword style isn't An Aikido subject (I stand to be corrected but it certainly not at the Aikikai or Iwama )
I read his post as, "Aikido uses two: bokken and jo."

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I really was not having a go at all there are a few Aikido sensei and well known ones (deshi of O'sensei) that did drift towards introducing sword as more that say Saito sensei as it more towards the actual use of the sword if that makes sense lol

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Maybe I should have wrote that clearer.
Improper punctuation!!!

Not this!

s-l400.jpg

That isn't what I meant.

what I meant was in contrast to Happkido using a multitude of weapons...
Aikido uses just two weapons, the bokken and and the Jo. I didn't mean to say that it used a two bokken as dual wielding users.

But from you I learned that there is a school of aikido that has dual wielding.
Saotome Mitsugi , Aikido schools of Ueshiba,

Last edited:

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe I should have wrote that clearer.
Improper punctuation!!!

Not this!

View attachment 21617

That isn't what I meant.

what I meant was in contrast to Happkido using a multitude of weapons...
Aikido uses just two weapons, the bokken and and the Jo. I didn't mean to say that it used a two bokken as dual wielding users.

But from you I learned that there is a school of aikido that has dual wielding.
Saotome Mitsugi , Aikido schools of Ueshiba,

no the fault was mine and I wasn't having a go

I don't know if the school still teaches that. He was a deshi of O'sensei

Latest Discussions