What should I look into

A

auxprix

Eventually (I don't know exactly how far in the future) I want to start a new art. Lately, I've been fascinated by the chinese systems.

What I'm looking for is something more on the traditional/spiritual side. This is something that has been largely missing from my regiment, and I want to give it a try. I'm looking for something more strike-based (I'm good on the grapple side) and mainly hand-to-hand combat, though I don't mind spending a little time on one. Basically, I want to try the Chinese arts for their fluid movements and interesting forms. Can anyone point me out in the direction of a system that best fits my criteria?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man, that’s a huge question. More exact "criteria" would be nice. I find it hard to explain CMA in regards to criteria because usually they are so much more than just that simple few criteria. If you wanting mainly hands go with Wing Chun, Mantis, Eagle Claw, or even Hung Gar. The spiritual side is something that is on a school to school basis. It depends on the focus of the sifu. My school is very physical based. We dont do alot of meditation or anything, we just work very hard on the physical aspect. One of our sister schools is pretty heavy on the "spiritual side" with an alter and all in the school. It just depends. Alot of the CMA are pretty complete meaning their techniques for striking are also used the same on the ground and such. In mantis we use alot of hands with alot of chin na (joint locks and manipulations) as well as throws and takedowns. It all depends on what you are wanting out of it.

A big deciding factor is what is in your area? What CMA schools could you attend and what are their systems?

7sm

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
auxprix said:
Eventually (I don't know exactly how far in the future) I want to start a new art. Lately, I've been fascinated by the chinese systems.

What I'm looking for is something more on the traditional/spiritual side. This is something that has been largely missing from my regiment, and I want to give it a try. I'm looking for something more strike-based (I'm good on the grapple side) and mainly hand-to-hand combat, though I don't mind spending a little time on one. Basically, I want to try the Chinese arts for their fluid movements and interesting forms. Can anyone point me out in the direction of a system that best fits my criteria?
Lots of them do just what you want, but it's more along of years opposed to "a little time".

Easiest question... where are you located?

OP
W

WLMantisKid

Wah Lum schools, as a general rule, do a seriously traditional way of doing things. Lots of respect to the dead (Altar), incense burning, no colored sashes, emphasis on a good training atmosphere.

It seems universal among the schools... always a good, friendly, and however spiritual that you want it. There arent philosophy lectures or anything, but you are expected to learn the history and pay your respects.

OP
A

auxprix

Alright, I guess I was a bit vague. I didn't realize how spiritual it got! When I say spiritual, I don't mean spending a lesson just sitting around and meditating (I'll do that on my own time, if I want). what I meant was that I would really like to work with traditional concepts. I currently live in Minneapolis, so if you know of anything specific, that would help.

I looked up some kung fu from the area, and here are a few that I came up with. Now, I know very little about kung fu, so if you could tell me what these systems are characterized by, I would appreciate it.

tibetan kung fu and Northern Shaolin Ganzhi Meihuazhuang.

Also, just to give you an idea, I was origionally interested in Hsing-I. It seemed like that was what I was looking for in a martial art. Unfortunately, it's not in my area. :(

OP
W

WLMantisKid

I dont know about the two you listed (im new to the martial arts world at large), but it does sound like a Wah Lum school would be something you would like.

Best I can tell you is to go check out the schools and talk to the Sifu. If you like the person, the atmosphere, and how he runs things, then go for it. That's what I did with mine, and it's worked beautifully.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well just off the top of my head, in Minneapolis Gin Foon Mark is there. He's considered by some to be the lineage holder of Jook Lum Southern Praying Mantis. Not somebody to trifle with when it comes to hand skills. You may want to check him out.

Tibetan kung fu is going to be something along the lines of White Crane/Lion's Roar/Hop Gar... I'm not sure about that Plum Flower school you mentioned.

OP
K

Katsu Jin Ken

Just off the top of my head, Wing Chun has lots of hand strikes, some traditonal stuff as well, most Shaolin is pretty well rounded, then there's bak mei, bak fu pai, bagua zhang (very spiritual), tai chi chuan, shaolin lohan chuan, xing yi, Hsing-I, eagle claw, hung gar, nothern/southern praying mantis, thats all i can think of at the moment.

Hope this helps if not sorry.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you made any decisions on what you want to study? Have you tried out any of the CMA that are close to you yet?

7sm

Latest Discussions