What recovery/wellness options does everyone use?

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmmā€¦ To which woo woo are you inferring?
All of them. They all work really well, without ambiguity and are very cheap. Thatā€™s why theyā€™re still around after thousands of years (if itā€™s old, it must be of value, after all ) and few people turn to ā€˜Western medicineā€™ with itā€™s controlled poisoning, cutting bits etc. Chemo or a crystal? Lay that bit of quartz on my heart chakara.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Forgot to mention pain relief. For most sore muscle and bang up pain, I take an ibuprofen and acetaminophen combo. Normal doses of each. My friend a decade ago, had above normal pain from an operation. He wanted opiates, but the Dr. talked him into this combination. The combo treats pain two separate ways and worked wonders. Good stuff! I think, within the last couple years they came out with this combo you can buy over the counter. Havenā€™t tried it. Stick with the tried and trueā€¦

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
All of them. They all work really well, without ambiguity and are very cheap. Thatā€™s why theyā€™re still around after thousands of years (if itā€™s old, it must be of value, after all ) and few people turn to ā€˜Western medicineā€™ with itā€™s controlled poisoning, cutting bits etc. Chemo or a crystal? Lay that bit of quartz on my heart chakara.
I was making an unfunny pun joke about Wooing women. Now I know what you mean. Thatā€™s not an all inclusive list though. Placebo works nearly as well as anything, which in and of itself, is evidence that belief can be powerful. Thus, disbelief is potentially equally powerful. Try looking up. You might see something you didnā€™t see before, like someone seeing you. We donā€™t try things we donā€™t perceive as possible. We rarely find our own potential as a result. It doesnā€™t mean a rabbits foot will make you lucky, it means believing you are lucky might make you feel lucky enough to try something that seems unlikely. Adjust your perception of what is possible to give yourself a chance. You are worth it.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are old, you have value, you are appreciated.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was making an unfunny pun joke about Wooing women. Now I know what you mean. Thatā€™s not an all inclusive list though. Placebo works nearly as well as anything, which in and of itself, is evidence that belief can be powerful. Thus, disbelief is potentially equally powerful. Try looking up. You might see something you didnā€™t see before, like someone seeing you. We donā€™t try things we donā€™t perceive as possible. We rarely find our own potential as a result. It doesnā€™t mean a rabbits foot will make you lucky, it means believing you are lucky might make you feel lucky enough to try something that seems unlikely. Adjust your perception of what is possible to give yourself a chance. You are worth it.
Funnily enough I was in a well-know town today, having a mooch around the shop, known for itā€™s alternative people and views. I went into a new pagan/herbal/magik shop and started chatting to the owner about this and that while he was making a protective amulet. We talked about covid, the weirdness of what were the lockdowns, vaccines, vaccine deniers, conspiracy theorists etc for about an hour. He was a bright, well informed, articulate Swede/Australian and we got on very well. I asked him if he actually believed in all ā€˜this stuffā€™ pointing to the objects in his shop. He said, ā€œI donā€™t believe they have any special powers or psychic energies etc but if the person buying them does, then they may haveā€¦like placebo.ā€ I thought that was a very interesting perspective. Later, I saw this book in a shop-

DB72A594-4FDC-4433-8232-7037F470C633.jpeg

I bought two copies and ran back and gave one to him. He laughed and promised heā€™d read it so we could discuss it next time!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Funnily enough I was in a well-know town today, having a mooch around the shop, known for itā€™s alternative people and views. I went into a new pagan/herbal/magik shop and started chatting to the owner about this and that while he was making a protective amulet. We talked about covid, the weirdness of what were the lockdowns, vaccines, vaccine deniers, conspiracy theorists etc for about an hour. He was a bright, well informed, articulate Swede/Australian and we got on very well. I asked him if he actually believed in all ā€˜this stuffā€™ pointing to the objects in his shop. He said, ā€œI donā€™t believe they have any special powers or psychic energies etc but if the person buying them does, then they may haveā€¦like placebo.ā€ I thought that was a very interesting perspective. Later, I saw this book in a shop-

View attachment 30161

I bought two copies and ran back and gave one to him. He laughed and promised heā€™d read it so we could discuss it next time!
Iā€™m not superstitious or super smart so I likely canā€™t relate. I can do a great orangutan walk though, probably better than most, because I believe my family is only a couple generations out of the trees. I need to work on my brachiation skills, Iā€™m more Borneo than Sumatran.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

View attachment 30161

I find belief in that stuff just as valid in belief that praying to God is helpful, or a higher power will support you. Which is actually pretty effective in some cases, if AA is anything to go by. So my philosophy is choose which thing you want to believe in, go for it, and reap the benefits.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I realized my zookeeper references wonā€™t fling my poo very far here. Sumatran orangutans spend significantly more time brachiating in the trees than Borneo orangutans. This is because there are no tigers in Borneo.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I realized my zookeeper references wonā€™t fling my poo very far here. Sumatran orangutans spend significantly more time brachiating in the trees than Borneo orangutans. This is because there are no tigers in Borneo.
Are you a zookeeper? Fully unrelated to the thread, but what is your opinion on people who take monkeys as pets? Are there some that are 'more' okay then others?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you a zookeeper? Fully unrelated to the thread, but what is your opinion on people who take monkeys as pets? Are there some that are 'more' okay then others?
I was a zookeeper. I work in human medicine, specifically surgical technologist and Hyperbaric medicine. People should NOT EVER keep primates, or wild animals as pets period.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, there are so many reasons not to do this. There is not a single good reason to do this. I couldnā€™t be more firm in a belief than I am about this. This keeping of primates is the absolute worst thing a person can do to a primate. I can tell you a dozen stories of how and why this goes horribly wrong. You pick what you want me to tell because otherwise I will go on for hours. Narrow it down for me somewhat. It sounds as though you know someone considering this? Why donā€™t we start with a hypothetical situation, tell me all about a hypothetical person who wants to do this. Their finances, background, hobbies, home life, relatives, every detail you can manage. Include at the end, how they plan to house, manage, husband this animal. Oh, and just for fun letā€™s pick a species.

OP
Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, there are so many reasons not to do this. There is not a single good reason to do this. I couldnā€™t be more firm in a belief than I am about this. This keeping of primates is the absolute worst thing a person can do to a primate. I can tell you a dozen stories of how and why this goes horribly wrong. You pick what you want me to tell because otherwise I will go on for hours. Narrow it down for me somewhat. It sounds as though you know someone considering this? Why donā€™t we start with a hypothetical situation, tell me all about a hypothetical person who wants to do this. Their finances, background, hobbies, home life, relatives, every detail you can manage. Include at the end, how they plan to house, manage, husband this animal. Oh, and just for fun letā€™s pick a species.
This pretty much answers my questions on it. Basically I've seen people saying it's a horrible idea, and other people talking about how they have them as pets, online. I figured either it was a bad idea and some people are misinformed, or that it was a species-specific thing (ie: capucins are okay, but bonobos aren't). This response pretty much confirms that it was the first.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
This pretty much answers my questions on it. Basically I've seen people saying it's a horrible idea, and other people talking about how they have them as pets, online. I figured either it was a bad idea and some people are misinformed, or that it was a species-specific thing (ie: capucins are okay, but bonobos aren't). This response pretty much confirms that it was the first.
Well interacting with primates can be the best and worst experience at the same time. My great uncle was a ā€œCarnieā€ he had a Capuchin named Funny. Iā€™ve had heartbreaking interactions with chimps that can sign. Iā€™ve had wonderful experiences playing with young chimps and orangutans. Terrifying experience with angry baboons. My favorite so far are orangutans and Rhesus macaques because they arenā€™t generally considered to be aggressive under normal circumstances. Most primates have relatively long life spans. Part of the many reasons not to keep them as pets. My only exotic pet is a Florida Indigo Snake, Drymarchon couperi. His name is Bolo, he is about 7.5 ft long and about 14 lbs or so. Bolo requires a lot of work and is expensive to feed. Owning a primate is a permanent part time job raising a dangerous child that will always need you, and may at any time decide to murder you.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that you may be able to keep a Gyakuto monkey, I hear mars bars tame them down completely.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife is a nth degree black belt yoga instructor/Pilates instructor. She is a 40 year old 100% alpha organic torture machine. She teaches 35 hours a week and hikes 8-13 miles of hill trails a day. She rarely drinks and does not eat dairy, sugar, or meat, other than seafood. I like beer and video games. She likes striving. Before you credit me for discipline, you should know that my handler deserves most of the credit for my healthy state. She is not afraid to food or fat shame me in an instant. If I canā€™t keep pace she will chide me over my ā€œhard workoutā€ schedule.
My other half has just returned from a week in Canada. During that week, the quality of my diet took a nose dive eating out most nights, I had late nights and so much reduced sleep duration, watched so many horror films/documentaries and my browsing history required nitric acid to wipe it clean šŸ˜³

The positive influence of oneā€™s life partner on oneā€™s health, cannot be underestimate.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that you may be able to keep a Gyakuto monkey, I hear mars bars tame them down completely.
As a child, I was obsessed by monkeyā€™s and bonobo chimps. I loved them so much and really wanted to have one. But itā€™s illegal to keep them in the U.K. and I donā€™t think my parents wouldā€™ve been very keen on the thought. Now, iā€™m a cat fan!šŸˆā€ā¬›