What nonfiction book are you currently reading?

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. We just started the book and haven't gotten to that part yet.

Andy

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ABN said:
Thanks for the tip. We just started the book and haven't gotten to that part yet.

Andy

Sorry, I should have made this more clear. The Baby-Wise method is a different book. It advocates putting your kid on a strict feeding schedule and letting them "cry it out" when they are distressed. In my opinion, the book is advocating a "ignore your child until it shuts up" method.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bought the US Army Survival Manual last saturday...sat down and read the whole thing over Thanksgiving Day

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
It advocates putting your kid on a strict feeding schedule and letting them "cry it out" when they are distressed. In my opinion, the book is advocating a "ignore your child until it shuts up" method.

There's no way that could happen anyway. With the set of lungs our daughter came equipped with, she could wake the dead.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just picked up Jared Diamond's latest book, Collapse. I am looking forward to reading it - I think he did an excellent job in Guns, Germs, and Steel, and I'm hoping he continues with this book.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Diamond is first rate. Check out also his book, "The Third Chimpanzee."

Now I'm reading "Reality Isn't What It Used to Be: Theatrical Politics, Ready-To-Wear Religion, Global Myths, Primitive Chic, and Other Wonders of the Postmodern World," by Walter Truett This is an older book, published in the early nineties, but I'm finding it to be a real gem. The guy is brilliant...and funny. This is a real keeper.

I just finished Steve Allen's "On the Bible, Religion and Morality," and am also close to finishing Bertand Russell's "God and Religion." Same essential topic, two different authors. They too are brilliant and funny. It turns out Allen had a sequel to his book. Russell, of course, has a few out himself (he said, tongue in cheek.) I have several of them.

Regards,

Steve

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not reading one currently, aside from martial arts and military history books.. I study every art I can in order to analyze techniques, and weapons for familiarity .

I will soon be reading:

http://www.secretsofthetomb.com/

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Collapse so far is very good.

Also reading The Life of Odysseus (I believe that's the title) - excellent scholarship from several decades ago.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm right now finishing up Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs, and Steel."

I finished "Aristotle's Children," by Richard Rubinstein, yesterday.

I'm currently reading "Why I Am Not a Christian" by Bertrand Russell (a collection of essays including the title piece), and "Clear Thinking by Hy Ruchlis.

I like Russell. This is the fourth book of his essays I've read. He's bright, but not condescending. I love his dry sense of humor...which some might mistake for pretentiousness. Don't.

The latter book is an excellent resource for those who like to debate here on MT. It is somewhat basic, but provides some angles to critical thinking I hadn't thought of. If you teach children or have children, it is a good guide for working on their reasoning skills. Isaac Asimov did the introduction...how's that for a plug?

Regards,

Steve

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just recently completed The Lexus and the Olive Tree, and From Beirut to Jerusalem, both by Thomas L. Friedman. They were both excellent.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Love "Master and Commander". Have the DVD. Maybe Ill start reading some of those.

NonFiction: "Criminal Investigations"

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Lost Worlds". I'll have to check out the author. Sad, clever, quite a good read.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Occupational hazard in my case. On the fiction side I am re-reading Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy to balance it out.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Why We Do It" by Niles Eldridge.

It's a good book that differentiates between the Dawkins opinion on genetics and the Darwin opinion.

Latest Discussions