What nonfiction book are you currently reading?

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
It is such a fun book, isn't it? I will often read a couple of pages over my breakfast. I am always amazed at how little I actually learned about some of the included topics. Sometimes I get frustrated that they don't go further into some of the included articles.

Mike

Maybe they'll come out with an "Incomplete Education II" or something. When you think of it, its a mini-Encyclopaedia. Of course, I'm the geek that reads encyclopaedias.

Regards,

Steve

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"Nicked and Dimed" ...

Research into Low-wage work around the country. Very interesting. Very spooky.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
School books I guess count so
A book on iron technology in Africa that I can't think of the name of at the moment.
I just finished Dostoevsky's "Notes from under ground" and am supposed to be reading Kafka's "The Trial"
I'm also reading "Metropolitain change" by some sociologist or something like that.
And probably there is something else I can't think of at the moment.
of course this will have change by next week.
Reading for pleasure??? What's that? :confused:

P

pakua

Bassplayer- Tao of Physics is good. I'm taking it slowly- it's many years since undergrad physics. But you don't need maths! Give it a try.

CGD- I saw Hyam's book in a second hand shop the other day, but didn't have enough cash on me (my wife had raided the SF section by then) and the shop's not electronic. I aim to get it next time.

Reading Capra made me think of Fuzzy Logic which I studied a few years ago, and it rang some bells in my mind. So I'm also now re-reading Koskos' Fuzzy Thinking- got it from the library but I'll ask the bookshop to keep an eye out for a 2nd hand copy.

B

bassplayer

I dig on the math, actually :) I'm just not as well versed as I'd like to be in it! What topics does it cover?

D_Brady

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Presidential Leadership (Rating the best and the Worst in the White House.

By.
James Taranto, The Wall street Journal.
Lenard Leo,The Federalist Society.

Based on a survey of 78 liberal and conservative scholars

P

Patrick Skerry

THE DANCING WU-LI MASTERS: An Overview of the New Physics, 1984, by Gary Zukov.

While this books presents a good overview of quantum physics for the lay reader, the author unfortunately interprets those physics in terms of new age cult propaganda. Some physicists have vehemently disagreed with those interpretations while admiring the presentation of the facts.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
"The Seven Daughters of Eve: The science that reveals our genetic ancestry," by Bryan Sykes.

I just finished "Violence" by James Gilligan, M.D.

Regards,

Steve

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Steve, want to give me a quick review and reccommendation on this? Sounds interesting.

Sykes talks about the adventures he had sequencing mitochondrial DNA in various groups. Mitochondrial DNA is passed down through the mother, and is an accurate way of telling a person's ancient heritage.

He's narrowed Europe's ancestors to seven women. These seven women gave rise to clans that ended up populating all of the west. All of us of European descent are descended from one of these seven.

That's it in a nutshell...gotta go teach class.

I didn't do it justice. Fun book. Other reviews online might do a better job.

Steve

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Got two going right now (actually more...I always read about six books at a time)....

Crimes Against Logic: Exposing the bogus arguments of politicians, priests, journalists, and other serial offenders. By Jamie Whyte

A scathing use of logic against irrational thought. This guy has no political bias...though you sense he might be an atheist. He goes after liberals and conservatives who defy reason and use argumentative fallacies. Fun book that makes you think.

Made In America: An informal history of the English Language of the United States. By Bill Bryson.

This is a fun book for those that love history and love the English language. I'm really enjoying it.

Regards,

Steve

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Worldly Philosophers.

It is a text book about the rise of economics. With a short look at many of the great thinkers in the field. I continue to amaze myself with how little I know. Bit-by-bit, I hope to expand my knowledge.

P

pakua

hardheadjarhead said:
Made In America: An informal history of the English Language of the United States. By Bill Bryson.

This is a fun book for those that love history and love the English language. I'm really enjoying it.

I love that book- I take it out of the library every now and then for a browse. Have you read some of his other books? Notes from a Small Island is about his trip round Britain when he lived there, prior to returning to the US. Notes from a Big Country is his articles from when he got back to the US, having been in the UK for some decades. Also try Down Under about his travels in Aussie.

For a Yank he's got a good sense of humour- could almost be a Brit *ducks

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
pakua said:
I love that book- I take it out of the library every now and then for a browse. Have you read some of his other books? Notes from a Small Island is about his trip round Britain when he lived there, prior to returning to the US. Notes from a Big Country is his articles from when he got back to the US, having been in the UK for some decades. Also try Down Under about his travels in Aussie.

For a Yank he's got a good sense of humour- could almost be a Brit *ducks

Nope...never saw those books. I'll have to check 'em out.

This morning I started "What Liberal Media?" by Eric Alterman. I'm also reading Alterman's "The Book on Bush." Very intelligent guy, Alterman. Also funny.

Regards,

Steve

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just picked up and read in two hours "Savage Spawn:Reflections on violent children," by Jonathon Kellerman.

Best known for his novels, Kellerman is also a psychologist. This is an excellent book...though I don't agree with him on certain points as to how to deal with psychopaths.

"Ethically and morally, kids are works in progress. Throw in psychopathy and you've got a soul that will never be complete."

In this powerful, disturbing book, bestselling author and noted child psychologist Jonathan Kellerman shines a penetrating light on antisocial youth--kids who kill without remorse--asserting that "psychopathic tendencies begin very early in life, as young as three, and they endure." Criticizing our quick impulse to blame violent movies or a "morally bankrupt" society, Kellerman convinces us that it is the kids themselves who need to be examined. Carefully.

How do children become cold-blooded killers? Kellerman warns that today's aggressive bully is tomorrow's Mafia don, cult leader, or genocidal dictator. Violently psychopathic youths possess an overriding need for power, control, and stimulation, and all display a complete lack of regard for the humanity of others. He examines the origins of psychopathy and the ever-shifting debate between nurture and nature, offering some controversial solutions to dealing with homicidal tendencies in children.

As timely as today's headlines, more gripping than fiction, Savage Spawn is a provocative look at the links between society and biology, children and violence. Kellerman's sobering message will remain with you long after the last page is turned.

That is not an overblown review, in my opinion.

Regards,

Steve

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm reading "Science goes to War," by Ernest Volkman. This book is pretty good so far. He has done a fair bit of research into the ancient world and into the scientific breakthroughs that allowed a civilization's military success. A couple of my students are interested in ancient weapons and I'm trying to bring the real story for them rather then the unofficial D&D version.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have just started "The Rising Sun" by John Toland. The book was printed by Random House in 1970.
This book details, from a Japanese point of view, the catastropic conflict of World War II, starting with the invasion of Manchuria and ending with the Atomic Bomb.

ABN

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm reading The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley, (colicky baby), and In the Company of Heroes by Michael Durant. He was the Blackhawk pilot who survived being shot down in Somalia in 1993.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ABN said:
I'm reading The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley, (colicky baby)...

Good book. It helped with our daughter. Watch out for the Baby-Wise alternative though. I really think that kind of stuff is damaging to a kid. I can't imagine loving parents practicing that system.