What MA cliches wind you up?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. most keyboard warriors have no clue what they are talking about
2. after doing something a thousand times you start to understand after doing it 5 thousand times you have a different perspective of what your doing
3. I learned this from a video on you tube

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't like the f=mXa equation. It is not technically correct as a punch would be measured in pressure. And i am not sure what it is supposed to teach you anyway.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't like the f=mXa equation. It is not technically correct as a punch would be measured in pressure. And i am not sure what it is supposed to teach you anyway.
I am liking it. If you believe in making the weight of the weapon do the work, you can really start to relax, and focus on speed and alignment. :)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
More cliches that makes me go :facepalm:

-Martial arts make kids violent.
-Martial artists can suddenly fly off the handle in a blur of strikes while yelling WHAIIIIIIIII!!!!
-Old martial artists are soooo wise in the ways of the world.
-Secret underground to the death MA tournaments.
-Martial artist spar full contact with lethal techniques and real sharp weapons all the time.
-All martial artists are acrobats who can do a double screw somersault with ease.
Of course there's also:

Martial arts will teach you/your kid discipline.
Martial arts are wise, super-calm, emotionless...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course there's also:

I agree with the first one, laugh at the second one. :),,, Now, what the hell is wrong with the idea that martial arts is a discipline, and that you might possibly teach that to their kids?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with the first one, laugh at the second one. :),,, Now, what the hell is wrong with the idea that martial arts is a discipline, and that you might possibly teach that to their kids?
Martial arts won't teach you or your kid discipline, any more than football or wrestling or religion class or music or anything else will -- by itself. Train in a class where discipline is expected, modeled, and part of the atmosphere, and you'll develop traits of discipline. I've seen some schools do a great job instilling discipline. I've seen plenty that pay lip service, but don't really model or instill discipline.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Martial arts won't teach you or your kid discipline, any more than football or wrestling or religion class or music or anything else will -- by itself. Train in a class where discipline is expected, modeled, and part of the atmosphere, and you'll develop traits of discipline. I've seen some schools do a great job instilling discipline. I've seen plenty that pay lip service, but don't really model or instill discipline.
Learning a discipline, instills discipline. You can judge how well or how poorly a school does it, but what is wrong with music and football? What does it take for you to decide discipline was instilled, and by what?

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Of course there's also:

Discipline is a means to an end-not an end in itself/

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Discipline is not allowing yourself to fail. If you need others pick up your slack, you are undisciplined. We are all tryin'... What?
I would say that refusing to fail, picking yourself up and going on again and again, is perseverance, not discipline.

Discipline, is "control that is gained by requiring that rules or orders be obeyed...; a way of behaving that shows a willingness to obey rules or orders..." I might say that, in context, discipline is the ability and willingness to hold yourself to standards of behavior or expectations of performance. To me -- you instill discipline in another by having standards, following them yourself (modeling the behavior) and holding them to standards.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say that refusing to fail, picking yourself up and going on again and again, is perseverance, not discipline.

Discipline, is "control that is gained by requiring that rules or orders be obeyed...; a way of behaving that shows a willingness to obey rules or orders..." I might say that, in context, discipline is the ability and willingness to hold yourself to standards of behavior or expectations of performance. To me -- you instill discipline in another by having standards, following them yourself (modeling the behavior) and holding them to standards.
The control is gained by a series of punishments: First by you parents; teachers; and hopefully yourself. Of course we have an entire police force set up for those that fail the third thing, but the key is adherence to a standard. I don't disagree with you, but you have to go through those first two gates. :)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
iscipline, is "control that is gained by requiring that rules or orders be obeyed...; a way of behaving that shows a willingness to obey rules or orders..." I might say that, in context, discipline is the ability and willingness to hold yourself to standards of behavior or expectations of performance. To me -- you instill discipline in another by having standards, following them yourself (modeling the behavior) and holding them to standards.

Then the Nazis were disciplined, yes?

Sometimes al Qaeda?/

Hezbollah?

Boko Haram?

The Red Brigades?

The KKK?

Aryan Nations?

or, if one prefers, the Boy Scouts, the Girl Scouts, the U.S. army, some police forces, some martial artists, professional criminals, pro athletes, world class chess-players ("world class" anything), arbitragers, stock brokers, ministers,priests, rabbis, devil-worshipers, and more than a few of my sex partners.....
rolling.gif

Discipline is a means to an end, and never and end in itself.[/b]

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Then the Nazis were disciplined, yes?

Sometimes al Qaeda?/

Hezbollah?

Boko Haram?

The Red Brigades?

The KKK?

Aryan Nations?

or, if one prefers, the Boy Scouts, the Girl Scouts, the U.S. army, some police forces, some martial artists, professional criminals, pro athletes, world class chess-players ("world class" anything), arbitragers, stock brokers, ministers,priests, rabbis, devil-worshipers, and more than a few of my sex partners.....
rolling.gif

And...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The control is gained by a series of punishments: First by you parents; teachers; and hopefully yourself. Of course we have an entire police force set up for those that fail the third thing, but the key is adherence to a standard. I don't disagree with you, but you have to go through those first two gates. :)
Is punishment the only way to get that behavior?

As you say --- discipline is a tool, not an end. Like any tool, it can be used to achieve good ends (straight As for school student, advancement for a martial arts student, weight loss/body definition for a body builder, the summit for a climber ;) ) or it can be used to produce negative outcomes -- like the Nazi death camp machine or suicide bombers.

Or kids who do exactly what an adult tells them -- no matter who that adult is. The point's not original to me, but I think it's valid: what are we teaching kids when we tell them to "do what an adult says" ?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And "discipline" (for those who know what the word means) is a means to an end, and never an end in itself.

Not always a virtue, discipline.
The virtue is holding to the standard. You can go and debate the standard all you want, but a disciplined person is an end to itself.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Folks, if you'd like to debate definitions and virtues, please start a thread for that.
Let's keep this one on topic, shall we?

Latest Discussions