What MA cliches wind you up?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
1. I like to keep my style "pure". If I cross train Taiji and boxing and If I get into a fight, I'll use Taiji on M, W, F, and use boxing on Tu, Th, Sat. I'll never mix those 2 arts.
2. The roundhouse kick is against my style principle. I'll never do that.
3. There are something that cannot be explained. It can only be felt.
4. The "internal" weight lifting method is superior than the external weight lifting method.

Last edited:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. I like to keep my style "pure". If I cross train Taiji and boxing and If I get into a fight, I'll use Taiji on M, W, F, and use boxing on Tu, Th, Sat. I'll never mix those 2 arts.
2. The roundhouse kick is against my style principle. I'll never do that.
3. There are something that cannot be explained. It can only be felt.
4. The "internal" weight lifting method is superior than the external weight lifting method.
I'm not tainting my art with everyone's freaky stuff. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I miss the legendary cliche's and urban legends of the oh so fun 1960's.

Black Belts have to register their hands with the police department.

If you're about to get into a fight you have to warn the other person you know Karate.

Those were fricken classics.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"women only do and are good at kata and men don't do kata because they are good at sparring"

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're actually the very first person I can ever recall saying this... are you sure it's a cliche?

I've heard it said quite a few times, are you accusing me of making it up?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

No. I am stating a fact ("You're actually the very first person I can ever recall saying this") and asking a question ("[A]re you sure it's a cliche?").

A cliche' is "a phrase or opinion that is overused and betrays a lack of original thought" so it would follow that if it's a cliche, it is something that most people will have heard. Like Bukas' 'registered hands' cliche'. Is there anyone who hasn't heard THAT one?

You do not that not every question is an accusation, right?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. I am stating a fact ("You're actually the very first person I can ever recall saying this") and asking a question ("[A]re you sure it's a cliche?").

A cliche' is "a phrase or opinion that is overused and betrays a lack of original thought" so it would follow that if it's a cliche, it is something that most people will have heard. Like Bukas' 'registered hands' cliche'. Is there anyone who hasn't heard THAT one?

You do not that not every question is an accusation, right?

Actually I've never heard anyone say that you have to register your hands, not in person. I've heard people say they've heard it and it's a bit joke in martial arts but never met anyone who said it or even believed it.
In an organisation I was in before, a large countrywide organisation, the women and kata thing was widely used. I've also seen it written down in quite a few places including on MT in the past, perhaps being female I notice whereas men wouldn't.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
3. There are something that cannot be explained. It can only be felt..

Translation: "I don't know how to explain it." Which isn't a crime, some things are really hard to explain, and you may not have the knowledge to give a good answer. But I'm not a fan of dressing up ignorance with fru-fru stuff. Just be honest.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Of course there's also:

Martial arts will teach you/your kid discipline.
Martial arts are wise, super-calm, emotionless...

For the first, I think it can. But so can dance, football, piano, or anything else that requires discipline and dedication to be successful and progress in.

For the second, yeah, martial artists are just people. They're not wiser or more spiritual or whatever than others.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"women only do and are good at kata and men don't do kata because they are good at sparring"

Must be a cultural thing, Tez. I've heard all kinds of nonsense out of the mouthes of Martial Arts people, but never that one. I would imagine that ticks you off, sure would me. I also can't think of a guy in the arts that would have the balls to say that out loud in front of a woman. I don't think he'd last long around here.

Of course, we're a bit more civilized around here. ;)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sounds very British. American men are all about Forms and Kata. In fact, women here would rather scrap than dance around in their pajamas for the crowd. Most American women think clogging is risqué. LOL

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are the Women in Karate Discussing Karate s Macho-Man Culture KARATEbyJesse
I imagine that most men won't have heard it because they won't have been told it would they? They aren't going to be patted on the head and told that kata is just the thing for them so the likelihood of men coming across this is far less than women. If you read a lot of them comments in the link you may well not have heard of what they have to say, it's encouraging though that not all the comments are about not including women.
If in America it's all about the kata then someone has better tell that very angry American in the other thread who hates kata and thinks we should too. I have absolutely no idea what clogging is or what relevance it has to anything.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Where are the Women in Karate Discussing Karate s Macho-Man Culture KARATEbyJesse
I imagine that most men won't have heard it because they won't have been told it would they? They aren't going to be patted on the head and told that kata is just the thing for them so the likelihood of men coming across this is far less than women. If you read a lot of them comments in the link you may well not have heard of what they have to say, it's encouraging though that not all the comments are about not including women.
If in America it's all about the kata then someone has better tell that very angry American in the other thread who hates kata and thinks we should too. I have absolutely no idea what clogging is or what relevance it has to anything.
I know there are sport focused martial arts in the US, but do they really count? ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pat a girl on the head with that comment, in the US, and you may draw back a stump. o_O

Why is now a nationalist thing? Do you assume that women elsewhere in the world women don't bite back when treated like this? I'm not sure what sports based martial arts have to do with anything either.

Latest Discussions