What MA cliches wind you up?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think this is a simple misunderstanding, and I appreciate that Tez3 clarified her intent. She wasn't condoning the fighting, DD. The art of the emoticon is subtle but rife with danger.

Regarding the topic at hand, at least within a given ecosystem, Tez3 describes the fundamental difference between training alone and training coupled with real world experience. Does anyone here doubt that the guys Tez3 refers to know more about real world violence than a 30+ year martial arts "expert" who has little to no experience? If I wanted to learn how to handle myself in a dicey situation, the guy who stood "facing riots in Northern Ireland, having bricks and Molotov cocktails thrown at you testing your nerve" is a guy who has something to share. Not saying this is the ONLY experience that is relevant, but it sure highlights IMO the stark difference between a martial arts expert and an expert in real world, violent encounters.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our guys eat a ban if they are out and being duchebags.

"It burns with a white rage against societies as a whole, from military leaders and chiefs of state to (more common in our time) comfortable civilians in easy chairs, who send rough men out to serve their interests brutally, murderously (what is war?), and then—when circumstances change and in the exquisite safety and fastidiousness of their living rooms they suddenly find these rough men’s actions repugnant—disown them." Richard Grenier

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No, I may not want to in the least. He may well want to reread what I said about the soldiers being the target of beered up, machismo fuelled idiots who like to pick on soldiers to show how 'hard they are. He might like to understand too as I'm sure you do that if the soldiers cause trouble they are indeed disciplined but then those 'douchebags' as he calls them do many things so he doesn't have to.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
If what he said doesn't apply no reason to get worked up about it. But if you're going to act as if what drop bear said applies to every soldier without exception then that's on you. You've reacted the same way to people ever since I've been on MT so I suppose you changing now would be unlikely. Have a day.

Pax,

Chris

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, I may not want to in the least. He may well want to reread what I said about the soldiers being the target of beered up, machismo fuelled idiots who like to pick on soldiers to show how 'hard they are. He might like to understand too as I'm sure you do that if the soldiers cause trouble they are indeed disciplined but then those 'douchebags' as he calls them do many things so he doesn't have to.

I am lost.Are you defending violent behavior or condemning it.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think what started this whole thing was your casual mention about your students getting in frequent brawls. You may have said it in a tongue in cheek manner but that is something many take seriously. Initially you didn't mention your guys were military and you seemed to refer to street brawls rather than combat experience. Rather than being so uptight and defensive you could have just explained yourself in a less confrontational way. If that's the military culture where you're at, fine just say so. No need to take everything as a personal insult. People can question what you say without personally attacking you, name calling and questioning your intelligence are personal attacks this was not the case here. Initially you came off as an instructor that approves of students that frequently start and get into street fights. I'm sure/I'd hope that you don't teach people of poor moral character. Young guys fighting will happen it's no big deal but it's also nothing to be proud of, you were just joking around that's it.

On a side note, I had a student involved in a domestic violence case. That was it, he's done. I don't teach assholes. Hopefully other instructors do they same.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think what started this whole thing was your casual mention about your students getting in frequent brawls. You may have said it in a tongue in cheek manner but that is something many take seriously. Initially you didn't mention your guys were military and you seemed to refer to street brawls rather than combat experience. Rather than being so uptight and defensive you could have just explained yourself in a less confrontational way. If that's the military culture where you're at, fine just say so. No need to take everything as a personal insult. People can question what you say without personally attacking you, name calling and questioning your intelligence are personal attacks this was not the case here. Initially you came off as an instructor that approves of students that frequently start and get into street fights. I'm sure/I'd hope that you don't teach people of poor moral character. Young guys fighting will happen it's no big deal but it's also nothing to be proud of, you were just joking around that's it.

On a side note, I had a student involved in a domestic violence case. That was it, he's done. I don't teach assholes. Hopefully other instructors do they same.

Really, another person who wants to lecture me oh goody, another personal attack on me. Oh and I was talking about street brawls and no I'm not the instructor. I wasn't taking it as a personal insult, I never ever take anything on here personally because to do so would mean I actually cared what people said. I'm not in the least uptight nor defensive, you are reading way too much into my posts.
Poor moral character? Really? yes I can imagine many think that of soldiers. :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Tez3, instead of completely derailing the thread, can you consider just letting it go? You explained yourself and that was great. I, for one, can completely understand how a tongue in cheek comment can be misunderstood. But the posts since then have been very aggressive and off topic.

I don't think anyone is intending to attack you in exactly the same way that I don't think you were intending to condone wanton violence or street brawls.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Really, another person who wants to lecture me oh goody, another personal attack on me. Oh and I was talking about street brawls and no I'm not the instructor. I wasn't taking it as a personal insult, I never ever take anything on here personally because to do so would mean I actually cared what people said. I'm not in the least uptight nor defensive, you are reading way too much into my posts.
Poor moral character? Really? yes I can imagine many think that of soldiers. :D
Nice. Attack his patriotism. You go girl. :)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep this conversation civil, and on-topic.

-Ronald Shin
-MT Administrator

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps you have to have had a beer with the british soldiers to really appreciate them. Yes they are rough and foul mouthed, but they really are the good guys. And from what I have seen they are diciplined quite harshly if they misbehave too badly. :D
(those brit army police know how to use a baton, jeeez!)

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am just talking about the british boys stationed at Bardufoss in northern Norway.
A decade ago but I still have fond memories of those guys :)

A conversation with one of them comes to mind: "Hey bloke, how do you say "Fook in the arsh" in Norwegian?" That kind of sums up their character haha :D Got to love them.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
More cliches that makes me go :facepalm:

-Martial arts make kids violent.
-Martial artists can suddenly fly off the handle in a blur of strikes while yelling WHAIIIIIIIII!!!!
-Old martial artists are soooo wise in the ways of the world.
-Secret underground to the death MA tournaments.
-Martial artist spar full contact with lethal techniques and real sharp weapons all the time.
-All martial artists are acrobats who can do a double screw somersault with ease.

Last edited:

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Old martial artists are soooo wise in the ways of the world.
This one is great, I've met many an average or below average aging martial artist who find their bb magazine quotes particularly insightful. Or just read anything by "Bodhi Sanders".

Latest Discussions