What is your style vs your art

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have found that because I have crosstrained a lot I really dont fit into any of my arts any more other than the few Kata that I do. My highest ranks are in
Aikijujitsu, Ryukyu Kempo, and Jodoryu Jujitsu but I dont see myself as really fitting into any of those arts anymore. I love to use sticky hands in my training my stand up locks are to small and tight for Aiki, and I prefer to get the job done to quick on the ground for jujitsu so how do you fit in

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't really understand what you want to say.
But going by the topic title, this is what goes for me:

I do the kata, I train hard and try to copy my sensei as much as possible (Shu principle).
Once I get to the Ha principle (aka, adding your own flavour) it wouldn't suprise me if I did the locks, sweeps and punches more viciously, harder and more agressive. Guess that's my character.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do the kata, I train hard and try to copy my sensei as much as possible (Shu principle).
Once I get to the Ha principle (aka, adding your own flavour) it wouldn't suprise me if I did the locks, sweeps and punches more viciously, harder and more agressive. Guess that's my character.

Ditto for me actually :)
My natural tendency is towards shorter movements and smaller circles. That said, it will be quite a while before I get to the point where I will have enough knowledge or skill to be able to 'flavour' my art.

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't really understand what you want to say.
But going by the topic title, this is what goes for me:

I didn't do a good job explaining I guess I am just asking what looks different in your style vs the way it looks in your art

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My style is Sikaran which is a foot fighting system. I have been trained in Okinawan systems and Chinese also. I tend at this age to use more hands than feet, as my knees went many years ago.
I do the kata I was taught in all of the above.
As I age I tend to add all of my training together into what I pass on to my students thusly I do not teach a purely foot fighting system at this time

ELLEN

White Belt
Reaction score
If you've "cross-trained", as you said, and learned from all, seems to me, you've had the best of all worlds...especially if you learned and had fun doing it. Why does it matter to you that you feel you have to "fit" into a something with a specific name? It's just a name...what you can do with it, is what ought to be important...[my 2 cents...]
Ellen

OP
ppko

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
J
If you've "cross-trained", as you said, and learned from all, seems to me, you've had the best of all worlds...especially if you learned and had fun doing it. Why does it matter to you that you feel you have to "fit" into a something with a specific name? It's just a name...what you can do with it, is what ought to be important...[my 2 cents...]
Ellen

Not that it matters just some realizations I have had. I know I will continue to train in the arts I do but my style isn't necessarily any 1 of my arts

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
J

Not that it matters just some realizations I have had. I know I will continue to train in the arts I do but my style isn't necessarily any 1 of my arts

That's normal and good. Not to mention, that is kind of the point of cross training isn't it?

Cheers

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I didn't do a good job explaining I guess I am just asking what looks different in your style vs the way it looks in your art
Ah, I understand now :)
Guess I gave the correct answer in my first post then.

Some more: will I actally do the deep stances in real life? Probably not, wouldn't have the time for it, plus I feel normal clothing would hinder it. Looks totally different from the art. Even the clothing!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have found that because I have crosstrained a lot I really dont fit into any of my arts any more other than the few Kata that I do. My highest ranks are in
Aikijujitsu, Ryukyu Kempo, and Jodoryu Jujitsu but I dont see myself as really fitting into any of those arts anymore. I love to use sticky hands in my training my stand up locks are to small and tight for Aiki, and I prefer to get the job done to quick on the ground for jujitsu so how do you fit in

Depending on what class I'm in, I'll try to fall into that 'mold' so to speak. I say try because like you, I've crosstrained so much, that subtle changes are automatic. However, when I'm teaching Kenpo, thats what I teach. I dont mix something else in, I dont adapt someone elses stance to be like mine.

But when it comes time to 'play' meaning doing a technique line, sparring, etc., I just go with the flow. If a lock or tech. from Arnis happens to come out in the middle of the Kenpo tech. line, then so be it. :)

As I always say, that IMO, is the goal we should all be trying to reach. We've done the preset techs. so many times, that we reach a point, when we dont have to rely on a set thing to do, but instead, just going with what our body does.

Latest Discussions