Fight video on NYC subway

Kittan Bachika

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am unsure where to post this so if the admin wants to post this elsewhere feel free to move it. Also there is a lot foul language and toward the end of the video it starts to get really nasty. If the admin feels that this video is completely inappropriate for this forum, please delete it.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbnc3u_crazy-subway-fight-6-train-nyc_lifestyle

At the risk of playing monday morning quarter back, this video is educational on a self defense level for the following reasons.

1. The Subway is one of the worst places to fight since it is moving and there is usually a lot of people on board.

2. There were plenty of moments where one or both parties could have walked away. Pride would have been swallowed but what would have happened in the end would have been avoided.

3. There is always a risk in playing the peacemaker.

Last edited:

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was entertaining. Had I been there, i'd have found a seat out of the way and enjoyed the show. No use getting involved in that situation, might as well make the best of it.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thugs at their best. Even the idiot that got his mom's nose broken. There were so many oppertunities to just let things be and walk away, but each had to show off. And the people watching were just as stupid. "Let's hold the train up"..."Keep that door open".

What idiots. Even the mom. Just sit down and shut up. If your stupid son want's his *** handed to him then that is his problem. Only the mom got clocked by some thugs that could not even fight, that is why she got hit. They could not hit anyone else so they chose her.:shrug:

prokarateshop

Orange Belt
Reaction score
this was a classic example why there is no winners when fighting.

the scary part is that people actually sat back and watched

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That was an interesting video kinda reminds me of the idiot thugs in my high school days... but anyway, there's some comments that the bystanders are doing nothing. What could they do? They prob don't know how to fight or properly restrain those two guys, and also don't want to accidentally get hit like the lady in the video.

If you (not any one in particular but you as in the person reading this post), as a trained martial artist, were there... would you try to stop the fight? watch? or walk away?

ceaer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
the scary part is that people actually sat back and watched

Bystander effect.
The more bystanders there are, the less likely it is that anyone will try and help. That goes for any situation, not just fights. People tend to think 'someone else will do something' even when they can see that no one else is. Also, people look to others for information. If no one else is trying to stop things or looking concerned, etc. they tend to think 'no one else is worried, it must not be a big deal.' It's when there's only 1 other person that you're most likely to get help because they can't pass the responsibility to someone else.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was an interesting video kinda reminds me of the idiot thugs in my high school days... but anyway, there's some comments that the bystanders are doing nothing. What could they do? They prob don't know how to fight or properly restrain those two guys, and also don't want to accidentally get hit like the lady in the video.

If you (not any one in particular but you as in the person reading this post), as a trained martial artist, were there... would you try to stop the fight? watch? or walk away?

More importantly, why WOULD they get involved? IF these clowns want to assault each other, why should I care or get involved? This isn't some little girl getting jumped by a gang of thugs, this is mutual active participants in a melee.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bystander effect.
The more bystanders there are, the less likely it is that anyone will try and help. That goes for any situation, not just fights. People tend to think 'someone else will do something' even when they can see that no one else is. Also, people look to others for information. If no one else is trying to stop things or looking concerned, etc. they tend to think 'no one else is worried, it must not be a big deal.' It's when there's only 1 other person that you're most likely to get help because they can't pass the responsibility to someone else.

In what way will someone 'help' this situation?

Bottom line is these clowns can pound each other day long, and I could care less........if an innocent person is getting attacked that's a different story, but that's not what was going on here.

One needs to know what IS their business, and what isn't........and a couple clowns punching each other in the face IS NOT my business, unless they or I make it my business.

ceaer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In what way will someone 'help' this situation?

Bottom line is these clowns can pound each other day long, and I could care less........if an innocent person is getting attacked that's a different story, but that's not what was going on here.

One needs to know what IS their business, and what isn't........and a couple clowns punching each other in the face IS NOT my business, unless they or I make it my business.

I don't know, by breaking the fight up I guess. Or by contacting the train operators, who can contact the police (this is true of MetroNorth trains, I assume it's also true of subways? I don't take the subway at all so I may be mistaken, but the MetroNorth operators can contact police en route and have them waiting at the next stop). That would have been an effective way to deal with the fight without causing any harm or potential harm to the person taking action.
While you (and several other people) have expressed that it's mutual aggression so who cares, it is happening in a public venue with the very real possibility of innocents being hurt by their boneheadedness. Wouldn't it be better to stop the fight before other passengers get hurt?

But I mentioned the bystander effect just because I was explaining why people sit back and watch, as one of the posters seemed pretty shocked that people were doing that, not to debate whether or not this situation should've been broken up.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Me? I would most likely walk away, dialing 911 on my cell as I go. If I knew one or more of the participants personally I might try to use that leverage to help break things up, but as I stranger I doubt I'd have any success. And with a minimal chance of being able to help, I don't see any point in risking getting myself hurt.

If it were a one-sided assault on an innocent victim that would be different. But clearly that isn't the case in this video.

Who the hell sat around taping that anyway? A sicko bystander taking a souvenier?

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Me? I would most likely walk away, dialing 911 on my cell as I go. If I knew one or more of the participants personally I might try to use that leverage to help break things up, but as I stranger I doubt I'd have any success. And with a minimal chance of being able to help, I don't see any point in risking getting myself hurt.

If it were a one-sided assault on an innocent victim that would be different. But clearly that isn't the case in this video.

My take as well. Looked to me like the two combatants were pretty soused, in particular the bald-headed guy who kept going back for more and getting the worst of it. There's really no percentage in trying to play peacemaker in this situation. There's also the risk of a bystander getting hurt.

Who the hell sat around taping that anyway? A sicko bystander taking a souvenier?

My take as well. Funny thing about cell phones. Not only do they record video, they also are handy for calling 911.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'd call the police and do nothing else unless one of three things happened.

1. One of the thugs gains too much of an upper hand and the other is at risk of death I'm all for letting idiots chose their own course in life, but if someone gives up and still recieves a beating then it may require some intervention.

2. There is a high risk of a bystander being hurt.

3. If the approach me in any way.

Their freedom ends at my body or the body of someone not involved.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

Hey, you have to be a good witness.......and there's nothing better than video. ;)

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd call the police and do nothing else unless one of three things happened.

1. One of the thugs gains too much of an upper hand and the other is at risk of death I'm all for letting idiots chose their own course in life, but if someone gives up and still recieves a beating then it may require some intervention.

2. There is a high risk of a bystander being hurt.

3. If the approach me in any way.

Their freedom ends at my body or the body of someone not involved.

I'm with you on 2 and 3...........1 is an occupational hazard of being an thug or an idiot.

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Why strike the woman? she was begging for it to stop is all, and she was headed back on the train.

What kind of mangy dog strikes a woman like that?
Scum of the earth right there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey look, these guys still got a set, chivalry is not dead.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions