What is your opinion about Kuk Sul Do ?

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Looks like another Korean variation of Karate, complete with another garden variety made up history of ancient origins, and more fancy than usual doboks.

The art would probably have a very hard time with marketing in Norway, considering the Norwegian meaning of the word "kuk".

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, where to start, from the Wiki page you posted:

The name "Kuk Sul Do" translates to "National Korean Martial Art", and was put together from a number of different Korean martial art styles in order to preserve traditions and movements that are thousands of years old. Because of Kuk Sul Do's beginning, it is a well-rounded traditional style that doesn't necessarily have any specific weaknesses, and encompasses a large amount of material and tradition.

Oh boy.

Why are you fishing, is there one of these schools near to you?

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks like another Korean variation of Karate, complete with another garden variety made up history of ancient origins, and more fancy than usual doboks.

The art would probably have a very hard time with marketing in Norway, considering the Norwegian meaning of the word "kuk".
I like how the movie is starring "Jason Kuk Sul Do"

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, where to start, from the Wiki page you posted:

The name "Kuk Sul Do" translates to "National Korean Martial Art", and was put together from a number of different Korean martial art styles in order to preserve traditions and movements that are thousands of years old. Because of Kuk Sul Do's beginning, it is a well-rounded traditional style that doesn't necessarily have any specific weaknesses, and encompasses a large amount of material and tradition.

Oh boy............

Why are you fishing, is there one of these schools near to you?

Wouldn't "Kuk Sul Do" be "Nation Technique Way"? "National Korean Martial Art" would, I think, be "Han Kuk Mu Sul".

Also, the list of old pre-occupation martial arts listed in that article include Tang Soo Do and (Kukki??) Hapkido, both of which were developed after WWII. And if you go to their federation website, it's very, ah, sparse on the details of how their style was developed (emphasis mine):

Born in Korea, Chong Jae Nym Yang... started his martial arts journey at a very young age, training under his uncle [who?] who was a master. Grandmaster Yang rose to the rank of chief instructor [of what?] at the national headquarters dojang [which one?] where he was responsible for teaching masters from all over Korea for many years..... Seeing the potential for teaching traditional Korean martial arts (known then as Ho Kuk Mu Ye) in the U.S., Grandmaster Yang moved from Korea to San Jose, CA and opened a new dojang. As one of a dwindling number of masters still actively practicing and teaching traditional Korean martial arts, Grandmaster felt the need to build an organization of senior masters who could help him pass on his passion for the art. As a result, the martial art of Kuk Sul Do was created under Yang's Kuk Sul Do Federation [how? when? from what?].

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wouldn't "Kuk Sul Do" be "Nation Technique Way"? "National Korean Martial Art" would, I think, be "Han Kuk Mu Sul".

Also, the list of old pre-occupation martial arts listed in that article include Tang Soo Do and (Kukki??) Hapkido, both of which were developed after WWII. And if you go to their federation website, it's very, ah, sparse on the details of how their style was developed (emphasis mine):

Born in Korea, Chong Jae Nym Yang... started his martial arts journey at a very young age, training under his uncle [who?] who was a master. Grandmaster Yang rose to the rank of chief instructor [of what?] at the national headquarters dojang [which one?] where he was responsible for teaching masters from all over Korea for many years..... Seeing the potential for teaching traditional Korean martial arts (known then as Ho Kuk Mu Ye) in the U.S., Grandmaster Yang moved from Korea to San Jose, CA and opened a new dojang. As one of a dwindling number of masters still actively practicing and teaching traditional Korean martial arts, Grandmaster felt the need to build an organization of senior masters who could help him pass on his passion for the art. As a result, the martial art of Kuk Sul Do was created under Yang's Kuk Sul Do Federation [how? when? from what?].
I like the approach! I'm going to use this on my website. You can never really be disproven.
"Hi, I'm Zero, Grand Master of the Art."
- Hey you ain't no master.
"Oh yes I am, prove that I'm not, you novice!"
- Well, what style are you a master in?
"Not saying but you still haven't proven I am not! Now join my club and pay me $100 per month"

Gold!