Kickboxing vs Taekwondo

JohnnyEnglish

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

My question today is, what is better for SELF-DEFENSE ?

ITF TAEKWONDO or KICKBOXING ?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh goodie, another style v style thread. :(

Could you perhaps elaborate a bit rather than try to start a flame war? Are you looking for advice or to giving it? Do you think either or them are good for self defence or neither? What are you looking for here in the way of conversation?

OP
JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh goodie, another style v style thread. :(

Could you perhaps elaborate a bit rather than try to start a flame war? Are you looking for advice or to giving it? Do you think either or them are good for self defence or neither? What are you looking for here in the way of conversation?

I simply want to know what is better for self-defense. I am not flaming at all, I am new to this forum and came here to discuss things like this.

I did kickboxing long ago, but since both martial arts work with legs and hands, but kickboxing seems a bit more aggressive, I asked myself, what would bring me further in a real situation ?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I simply want to know what is better for self-defense. I am not flaming at all, I am new to this forum and came here to discuss things like this.

I did kickboxing long ago, but since both martial arts work with legs and hands, but kickboxing seems a bit more aggressive, I asked myself, what would bring me further in a real situation ?

Now you will get the answers you want, any style v style thread is going to disintegrate into an argument I'm afraid but if you say as you have above what you are looking for people can respond better.

The answer by the way is neither lol, try self defence for self defence. :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just make sure that you have medical insurance lol. Seriously looking for fights. Yeah good luck :)

OP
JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish

Green Belt
Reaction score
Now you will get the answers you want, any style v style thread is going to disintegrate into an argument I'm afraid but if you say as you have above what you are looking for people can respond better.

The answer by the way is neither lol, try self defence for self defence. :)

But this can't be true, I knew many kickboxers who always were pretty sucessful about " streetfights ".

I wouldn't say these lads are guys you would want to hang out with too often, but they were pretty decent kickboxers.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But this can't be true, I knew many kickboxers who always were pretty sucessful about " streetfights ".

I wouldn't say these lads are guys you would want to hang out with too often, but they were pretty decent kickboxers.

Did you see them 'fight' or were they just saying that lol.

I'd say it depends on what you want, it's always useful to be able to punch, kick maybe not so much but it's always going to depend on circumstances. Depends where you live, where you go and what you do as what you think you need in the way of self defence training.
The Bunkai from the kata is very good at giving you techniques for self defence but from what you said before I'm guessing you've not been taught this? Ground skills are usefull though you don't want to be on the floor if you can help it but there's plenty of techniques you can use. Full contact anything ie karate, TKD, kick boxing is useful for knowing how to take a strike and not freeze.

Have you read any of Geoff Thompson's stuff?

OP
JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just make sure that you have medical insurance lol. Seriously looking for fights. Yeah good luck :)

Well, it says
Did you see them 'fight' or were they just saying that lol.

I'd say it depends on what you want, it's always useful to be able to punch, kick maybe not so much but it's always going to depend on circumstances. Depends where you live, where you go and what you do as what you think you need in the way of self defence training.
The Bunkai from the kata is very good at giving you techniques for self defence but from what you said before I'm guessing you've not been taught this? Ground skills are usefull though you don't want to be on the floor if you can help it but there's plenty of techniques you can use. Full contact anything ie karate, TKD, kick boxing is useful for knowing how to take a strike and not freeze.

Have you read any of Geoff Thompson's stuff?

I saw it many times and for sure I heard many stories too.

No, I've not done any Kata by now.

No, I am not much in to English-language literacy.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of kickboxing? Muay Thai? Savate? Generic karate with boxing gloves? PKA, WKA, K1 rules?

Honestly, it's going to come down to how you train more than the specific brand of Karate/TKD/Kickboxing you practice. You're learning how to move and strike. How well you can execute that under pressure depends more on the quality of your practice than the style.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it says

I saw it many times and for sure I heard many stories too.

No, I've not done any Kata by now.

No, I am not much in to English-language literacy.

Is English your first language, you spell the American way and I'm thinking you may not know who Geoff is, reading him could well do you as much good if not more than learning self defence.

OP
JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish

Green Belt
Reaction score
Is English your first language, you spell the American way and I'm thinking you may not know who Geoff is, reading him could well do you as much good if not more than learning self defence.

No English is not my first language, in my country we usually learn the " American way " when it comes to written English. But I am slowly getting used to the " proper way " of written English, which is the Britsh way.

No I have not read him, I have books written by similar authors. But thank's for the advise, I will have a look in to it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No English is not my first language, in my country we usually learn the " American way " when it comes to written English. But I am slowly getting used to the " proper way " of written English, which is the Britsh way.

No I have not read him, I have books written by similar authors. But thank's for the advise, I will have a look in to it.

No worries, I would look at the BCA as well for instruction if it's self defence you want, there's no reason why you can't train anything else as well of course. Some of the very best self defence instructors are listed there.
The British Combat Association Home of Mixed Practical Martial Arts

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Normal Kickboxing.
There really isn't any such animal. It's a generic term used by people with significantly different backgrounds.

It's like saying "normal jujutsu". No one would have any idea what you meant. BJJ? Danzan Ryu? Takenouchi Ryu? They're not at all the same thing.

OP
JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish

Green Belt
Reaction score
There really isn't any such animal. It's a generic term used by people with significantly different backgrounds.

It's like saying "normal jujutsu". No one would have any idea what you meant. BJJ? Danzan Ryu? Takenouchi Ryu? They're not at all the same thing.

Well, where I come from we don't have different styles of Kickboxing! We have Muay-Thai, we have Savate, but all of them are martial arts on it's own, and we also have KICKBOXING. The only differences we have/had are full contact, semi-contact . Somebody who would call Muay-Thai kickboxing over there, would be laughed at, since both are completely different martial arts.

There you go

Einleitung - WAKO Bundesverband

it says, at the beginning it was called " Sport-Karate " now it is called " Kickboxing ". We for sure know K1.

OP
JohnnyEnglish

JohnnyEnglish

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is the same organisation Kickboxing WAKO GB

Thank's for the English version.

However, as you can see Tony, it clearly says KICKBOXING. It does not say that Kickboxing IS Muay-Thai,Savate or whatever, Kickboxing is a martial art on it's own. So me saying Kickboxing was totally right, blamed the wrong guy pal.

Latest Discussions