What is the best Martial Art for Street Fights?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The no-name diner closed before covid too!!

God, I love diners. When i leave the northeast, people don't understand. But there is nothing better than finding a good diner.

I walk in, order what I want, doesn't matter if it's on the menu, and they'll make it. And it's just about guaranteed to be good. And the atmosphere is always welcoming.

Cafe man myself.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is the best Martial Art for Street Fights?

Take your opponent down (without hurting him), and then take off.

Advantage:

- You don't have to punch your opponent and cause yourself any legal issue.
- You integrate attack and run away into one move.

my-knee-seize.gif

Unfortunately, today not too many people will train

- take down skill,
- remain your own balance, and
- maintain mobility,

at the same time.

my-run-down.gif

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Diners are a dying breed. There used to be so many, open 24 hours, too.

God, I love diners. Love Cafes, too.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting that a debate has formed over whether a kicking/striking system or a grappling system is best for dealing with a knife attacker.

Full disclosure: I’ve never been attacked with a knife. I’ve never needed to actually defend myself on the street, ever. I’ve always been able to talk my way around a confrontation, or simply scrambled out of a bad situation. My Nike-jitsu is tops. So that’s my level of direct experience.

Seems to me that an attack with a knife is a bad situation to be on the receiving end, no matter who you are and what your skillset is. I cannot agree that either a grappler or a kicker/striker has any distinct advantage in that situation. It’s bad, either way.

That being said, I also can believe that both a striker and a grappler could have viable solutions in their skill sets, and if their skill is sufficient and luck smiles on them, they could come out of the situation alive.

Seriously, the grappler vs. striker debate in this situation seems pretty pointless. Do the training you enjoy, and find solutions within your training.
Missed this post initially. That's not actually what the debate is. The debate is whether or not a grappler is feasible for defense against a knife-both myself and acronym are acknowledging that a striker is feasible, while I'm arguing that a grappler likely is, and recommended he test it out. He's arguing that it's not and there's no point in testing it out. I much prefer this new conversation about cafe's and diners that has since erupted though.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
what will guy fieri ever do?

I'm a big fan. Guy Fieri must have made a deal with the devil, he's got the greatest jobs I know of.

I just can't watch any of his shows if I'm hungry. That would be like torture.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Changing this to the lower NY/NJ area. Possibly connecticut. Not sure I know any good ones beyond that.

I went to a diner in New York state about fifteen years ago. I'll have to find my notes on the trip and let you know where it was.

This isn't it, but it had this look....

OldDiner.jpg

The front of it was a classic diner. We just happened to be driving by and saw it. All excited, in we went.
It was an old fashioned diner. But it had been expanded on. The back of the diner led to four or five really large rooms filled with customers. The menu was like a phone book. There were more choices than any eatery I've ever been in, from scrambled eggs to baked stuffed lobster and it was superb. I've never seen anything like it.

My God, we almost hurt ourselves.

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I was trying to quote the grappling above, but from my experience fighting gang-bangers, I would say that some grappling is necessary, but not much. Things happen too fast. At least when I was doing that, the bangers worked in threes, on purpose. One would stay back and come in from behind while you were dealing with the other two...maybe try and stab you from behind or rap a belt buckle around your head.

I never got hurt (at least no scares), but concluded no matter how good you could get, eventually somebody'd get you.

I stopped putting myself in those circumstances... before getting killed. Did lots of it for about 15 years. That was more than enough.

Latest Discussions