What is the best Martial Art for Street Fights?

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Long time boxer here and have done well in fights in the past (never started by me).

However, I'm looking to expand my game a bit.

Was deciding between Muay Thai, Sambo, or BJJ.

My goal is to be street-ready even if I never get into another fight again.

What would be the next best step?
The best martial art for street fights is one that will teach you situational awareness and self-control so that you don't get into street fights in the first place.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The best martial art for street fights is one that will teach you situational awareness and self-control so that you don't get into street fights in the first place.

The only one I have done that even came close to decent situational awareness training was a cash in transit course.

The rest was junk.

E.g. Stuff like this.

Apparently according to the experts a heated argument can turn in to a physical confrontation.

Who would have thought?

Maybe we should develop a color coded graph to predict how a fight might go from zero to fight. Because was all have no understanding of how to read human emotions.

Maybe do some role play where I yell at you a bit before we spar. Because as we know hard trained fighters are put off by angry words and sticking your chest out.

Last edited:

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's suicide against someone with a knife.
Any kind of bare hand fighting against a knife is suicidal. Doesn’t matter how good you are there’s 99% chance you’ll get cut whether it’s a minor one or a serious one it’s very likely it’ll happen. Real world isn’t a Jackie chan movie

john_newman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You should know the self-defense techniques, but knowing a martial arts skill doesn't guarantee your win in the street fight.
In the beginning, you may start with any MMA discipline you like the most.
BJJ
MMA
Muay Thai
Boxing

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Every bit of unarmed vs knife fighting contains either arm drags or two on one wrist control and wrestling or sub wrestling is about the only style that can demonstrate that against resistance.

But otherwise yes you are pushing poo uphill.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Every bit of unarmed vs knife fighting contains either arm drags or two on one wrist control and wrestling or sub wrestling is about the only style that can demonstrate that against resistance.

I haven't pushed up Poo Hill, though I have pushed up Poo Poo Point, just a quick drive down the road from my house.

Poo Poo Point — Washington Trails Association

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I like Chewjitsu's quote: I get paid to fight, why would I do it for free?

That quote's been around longer than I've trained in the arts. I've always wondered who first coined that phrase.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That quote's been around longer than I've trained in the arts. I've always wondered who first coined that phrase.

Based on what I know of you and how long you've been training, that quote must predate the English language!

Chewie's the first guy I've heard use it, so I attributed it to him.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should know the self-defense techniques, but knowing a martial arts skill doesn't guarantee your win in the street fight.
In the beginning, you may start with any MMA discipline you like the most.
BJJ
MMA
Muay Thai
Boxing

Welcome to Martial Talk, John. :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I agree. But I'm a curious fellow by nature - tis' a curse, yes, I know.

But, have you done any knife training?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Based on what I know of you and how long you've been training, that quote must predate the English language!

Chewie's the first guy I've heard use it, so I attributed it to him.

Chewie for the win!

As for being around a bit...

A guy says "I forget how old I am."

An old woman with him says "I'll tell you how old you are, take of your clothes and bend over."

The man does.

The woman says "You're fifty nine."

The man says, "How can you tell?"

The woman says, "You told me yesterday."

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Chewie for the win!

As for being around a bit...

A guy says "I forget how old I am."

An old woman with him says "I'll tell you how old you are, take of your clothes and bend over."

The man does.

The woman says "You're fifty nine."

The man says, "How can you tell?"

The woman says, "You told me yesterday."

Best Chewie quotes.

• 3. " WWWWWWWGGGGHHHRRRRW." -
  • 4. " WWWRRRRRRGWWWRRRR." - Revenge of the Sith. ...
  • 5. " GGGWARRRHHWWWW." - A New Hope. ...
  • 6. " AAARARRRGWWWH." - Return of the Jedi. ...
  • 7. " RRRAARRWHHGWWR." - The Empire Strikes Back. ...
  • 8. " RAWRGWAWGGR." - A New Hope. ...
  • 9. " GGWWWRGHH."- The Empire Strikes Back. ...
  • 10. " RRWWWGG." - Return of the Jedi. .

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Ok. So here is wrestling grip fighting and hand control.

Now there are mechanical reasons this works in that you are using your structure to support the arm control. This also breaks their structure and makes it more likely you will actually hand on to an arm.

Which is why he yells don't reach a lot. Because as soon as you do. You will basically loose the arm. And if you were trying to grab a knife hand you loose the arm and get shanked.

Now when we look at knife defense. It is performed generally in a manner that is too simple to work properly.

Grab moving knives out of thin air don't break their structure and don't really operate from where you are mechanically strong.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 39746

It usually contains getting stabbed or cut, maybe several times as well.

Its something that you need to build a fighting system around though, as habits from unarmed do leave you open to get shot, stabbed etc. One of those one arm collar ties might be great, until you forget they could have a knife or a pistol and they draw it and shoot you in the leg 2 times before you can react.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok. So here is wrestling grip fighting and hand control.

Now there are mechanical reasons this works in that you are using your structure to support the arm control. This also breaks their structure and makes it more likely you will actually hand on to an arm.

Which is why he yells don't reach a lot. Because as soon as you do. You will basically loose the arm. And if you were trying to grab a knife hand you loose the arm and get shanked.

Now when we look at knife defense. It is performed generally in a manner that is too simple to work properly.

Grab moving knives out of thin air don't break their structure and don't really operate from where you are mechanically strong.

I agree with most of what you said, especially the "grabbing knives out of thin air" part. It took us three minutes and a rubber knife to figure out that it's much harder to do IRL.

That said, that first defence in the second video was particularly bad. Although it does not solve the "grabbing knives" part, here's a way to perform it from a mechanical advantage that breaks the guy's structure.

Latest Discussions