What is preventing you from being a better Martial Artist?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Something asked in one of our classes last night. As an individual what mentally, environmentally, or physically is preventing you from being a better martial artist? There is no right or wrong answer. This is to inspire you to look inward and to honestly assess yourself.

In my case, there is no real environmental issue other than distance from those I wish to continue to train under. I own my school and it is 10 minutes away from my home. There are physical aspects like age (over 50) and injuries that have begun to slow me down. Strength is still good but I’m no where near as strong as I was at 25-35. My cardio is good but my recovery time is much longer. For example, on Sat. I do 4 hours of instruction. Last Sat. one of my students who trained the complete 4 hours asked, “How do you do it? I’m exhausted!” I stated that I’m tired also; the difference is you are going to go home, take a shower, eat something and then go out to do something. I’m going home to shower, eat and sleep!

Over the years I think the greatest factor limiting my growth has been my comfort level with my abilities. I am fortunate to have been a very good athlete with a strong body and the exercises came relatively easy for me. I still have good flexibility and agility. Due to this I have been able to, for the most part, simply overwhelm most and have learned over a long period of time to feel rather than to force my “techniques”. As the ageing process and the many injuries have begun to weaken me physically I realize how much I have missed in my journey. I have learned to be a bit more cunning and that timing and proper positioning is far more important than speed and strength. Also mentally I tend to stay where I am comfortable. Though I train and instruct several different systems I tend to gravitate to those movements which are similar rather than work more on the ones that are different. I do have an open mindedness toward training but tend to anally work that which I know works for me rather than work something new. If it is new I look to find what is already ingrained and simply expound on that.

How about you?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Honest anwser and I am not joking

Work gets in the way, it takes way to much of my time both in and out of work. And the nature of my job does not allow me to do anything that is really associated with training.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
My own laziness, I tend to work what I like, or what is new, and don't spend enough time on the "boring basics."

Lamont.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Right now...waiting for the doc to clear me after my ACL reconstruction.

At this time in my life...moving around too much to find a good school that I can settle down and learn or open my own school and teach.

In general...when I get the chance, I'm usually teaching instead of training, so I guess it's my own work ethic.

Overall...me.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Very few of us can dedicate 100% of our life to just martial arts training.

As a rule of thumb.....we tell our students?

Family comes first, caring, sharing,helping,feeding,supporting, and the list is endless.....taking care of family is "first"

Next: Work/School...these things help support the family, or your education will help you get better paying jobs to support your family and yourself! We need to earn a living to support ourselves and take care of the family. There is a "financial cost" to live in America. Some of you may not need this? ....the rest of us have to "Work"! ...to survive ....!

3rd: This is where you can make "Marital art training a priorty! or other things too? ...fishing? ....tennis? .....golfing? and so on

For those reasons above are a few reasons from preventing most of us giving 100% to training. NOTE: "WE CAN GIVE 100% WHILE TRAINING"

Life is NOT all about just martial art, priorties need to be set.....

EVERYONE: can always improve themselves, So to say what is not preventing one from getting better?

Is just excuses? and NOT wanting to get better! That is why it is good to set "GOALS"

Very easy to get lazy, very easy to give up, very easy to quit! ...anyone can do this!

To get better....take's "HARD WORK", no short cuts, and lot of dedications to meet your goals.....JUST DO IT! ...just one more pushup...just one more kick....keep going....and the going will get better!

You don't have to train like "Bruce lee" ...you need to only train yourself to get better than you were before! Chinese saying: Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step....

To be a better martial artist....starts within ONE SELF! Your Belief's

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello, Very few of us can dedicate 100% of our life to just martial arts training.

<snip>

Life is NOT all about just martial art, priorties need to be set.....

<snip>

To be a better martial artist....starts within ONE SELF! Your Belief's

I don't think Danny is asking what our priorities are or should be. I think Danny is simply asking what challenges each of us personally have that is preventing us from becoming better.

For me, my barrier is finding a chuck of time each day for practice and to motivate myself to be more consistent.

- Ceicei

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My own laziness, I tend to work what I like, or what is new, and don't spend enough time on the "boring basics."

Lamont.
I gotta agree... Laziness and inertia are my enemies.

It's just so damn easy to stay in the chair, with the TV or computer on, rather than get up and train!

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I gotta agree... Laziness and inertia are my enemies.

It's just so damn easy to stay in the chair, with the TV or computer on, rather than get up and train!

This, too, is the greatest enemy to my training. I find it necessary to go outside, away from any distractions, to get any training done.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
About 40 extra pounds. Plain and simple. No excuses, no reason, except pure laziness in keeping fit over the past years.

I am working on it now though.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's keeping me from being a better MAist is... my lack of knowledge, and the inherent limits on my ability to solve the decoding problems involved in high-quality bunkai&#8212;clearly an ability necessary to translate the hidden information in MA patterns into their real-time damaging street applications.

I'm also limited by a very bad sense of spatial relationships in three dimensions. So learning techniques is harder for me than for many other MAists, I'm pretty sure.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well this is for S_L my life is completely Martial Arts and yes I mean completely. The whole family is involved and I spend every waking minute in that mind set.

As far as the question Better health at this point in my life would be a blessing, My mind wants to train but sometimes tha body just break down.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My job..I'm usually working my part time job when Father Greek is teaching..On the few nights I am not I catch up on some sleep...

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
My dietary and WORK. I have plenty of time to train others, but it holds back my own workouts. I have a hard time keeping my eating clean.

HelloKitty

Green Belt
Reaction score
Something asked in one of our classes last night. As an individual what mentally, environmentally, or physically is preventing you from being a better martial artist? There is no right or wrong answer. This is to inspire you to look inward and to honestly assess yourself.

I had a big surgery last December, I'm still under medication and besides I haven't trained in several years, so I really need to get used to the rythm of the classes and get more stamina. So, I hope it's matter of time ;)

ejaazi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It is the lack of time to train. Between work and family life, I just don't have the time to train as much as I would like. If I was able to, I would train at least 5 days a week. But due to my schedule, I am only able to train 3 and sometimes I can't even do that on a consistant basis.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Wife, kids, too much work and a pair of knees that often betray me.

Marc

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Motivation. I'm at a stage of my life where I'd just as happily spend my time sitting on my couch, in my underpants, playing video games and eating cheeto's.

:(

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My day job, plain and simple.

If I were to quit my job, and commit myself full time, to the dojo, then I know that my techniques would get sharper, and my knowledge would certainly increase due to having many more training hours.

However, I am not about to quit my job, since it pays the bills (and I have a very nice health plan with them), and I really do enjoy scientific research. There's always the great feeling of accomplishment when your work gets published, or when you present your material to your peers at the various meetings.

For now, I am content to split my time between the lab and the dojo, and accept the fact that I am the one who is holding back my full potential. That does not, however, mean that I slack off in my training hours. If anything, I make sure to continue to train hard, so that I don't fall into a deadly pattern of complacency.

Latest Discussions